Media Prediction Thread: Holiday Bowl Edition: Minnesota vs Washington State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Bleacher Report is first out of the gate:

If Minnesota was heading into a game against a middle-of-the-road Big Ten team, this would be a difficult game to predict. After all, most Big Ten teams are built with the ground game in mind, and winning games in the trenches usually leads to winning games on the scoreboard.

This game, however, sees the Gophers taking on one of the nation's most prolific passing quarterbacks. When you combine Minnesota's lack of success against the pass with its lack of exposure to high-octane, pass-first offenses, you start to understand how the deck looks to be stacked against the Gophers.

Prediction: Washington State 42, Minnesota 27

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ions-for-minnesota-vs-washington-state/page/8

Go Gophers!!

It will be interesting to see what the defensive coaches come up with. Do they go with the aggressive blitz package - or drop more people in coverage.

What this does mean - we could see a lot of Blake Cashman if WSU runs a spread formation. So - early crazy prediction - Blake Cashman as the MVP of the Holiday Bowl. Hey, it could happen....

That would be a brutal score. Similar to NW or Nebraska last year.

Their offense is good, but who on their D is going to stop our RBs and QB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their offense is good, but who on their D is going to stop our RBs and QB?

Stanford (a power running team) that is probably a better version of the power run than the Gophers are only managed to gain 61 yards on the ground and got blown out by Washington State. This is going to be a tough game for Minnesota

I have seen very little of Washington State this year but on the surface this matchup reminds me a little of the 2006 game against Texas Tech at least from the standpoint of the WSU offense. Of course back in those days we didn't have the same kind of defense we have now.

Still a team that slings the ball around at a really high level could cause some problems for us matchup wise.

I guess I like our pass defense better than others. I know the stats are down compared to where we've been the past few years -- and compared to our run defense this year. But that's due mostly to a number of big plays, really in three games (OSU, Penn State, Purdue). Of course, giving up big plays against a great passing time like WSU can happen, and probably will. But if we have all our DBs healthy, I think we can play with them.

I guess I like our pass defense better than others. I know the stats are down compared to where we've been the past few years -- and compared to our run defense this year. But that's due mostly to a number of big plays, really in three games (OSU, Penn State, Purdue). Of course, giving up big plays against a great passing time like WSU can happen, and probably will. But if we have all our DBs healthy, I think we can play with them.

I agree with you here. I think Myrick and Hardin can lock in and will be up for the challenge. Having Cashman in the middle makes the defense much better against the pass.

I just wish Lingen could play for this game.

Rittenberg chimes in:

National Funding Holiday Bowl: Minnesota vs. Washington State
(7 p.m., ESPN, Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego, Calif.)
Both defenses are solid, but quarterback Luke Falk gives Washington State a major advantage over Minnesota, which simply hasn't seen the improvement it needed from veteran signal-caller Mitch Leidner. The Gophers hang around for a half before Falk and his wide receivers start stretching the field. Washington State 37, Minnesota 24.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18202412/41-games-42-predictions

Go Gophers!!

The best way to stop there offense is to methodically gash their rush defense. Win the time of possession of battle win the game

Washington St has a top 30 rush D in the country. Unlikely will Gophers will be able to "methodically gash" them on the ground.

It will be interesting to see what the defensive coaches come up with. Do they go with the aggressive blitz package - or drop more people in coverage.

What this does mean - we could see a lot of Blake Cashman if WSU runs a spread formation. So - early crazy prediction - Blake Cashman as the MVP of the Holiday Bowl. Hey, it could happen....

Considering this year... we blitz.

Washington St has a top 30 rush D in the country. Unlikely will Gophers will be able to "methodically gash" them on the ground.

That because most of the teams they play don't run the ball very much and aren't as committed to the run as Big Ten teams are. Also with the exception of Stanford, most of the teams more committed to the run that they play are more of a spread attack and not a power running team like we are.

Just make sure you win. Remember Washington was beat by Eastern Washington (lowly FCS...or D2 :( Team) early this year. Then NDSU beat Eastern Washington. :cool:

That because most of the teams they play don't run the ball very much and aren't as committed to the run as Big Ten teams are. Also with the exception of Stanford, most of the teams more committed to the run that they play are more of a spread attack and not a power running team like we are.

Ding, ding, ding! Ranked almost at the bottom of FBS in passing defense stats.

Athlon chimes in with their "early prediction":

Holiday Bowl - Washington State (8-4) vs. Minnesota (8-4) Dec. 27 – 7 p.m. ET, ESPN

An interesting contrast of styles is set to meet in San Diego on Dec. 27. Washington State ranks third in the nation in passing attempts, with quarterback Luke Falk and receiver Gabe Marks connecting as one of the top pass-catch combinations in the nation. The Cougars aren’t just an aerial show, as coach Mike Leach’s team has three capable running backs and a big offensive line to provide protection. Minnesota doesn’t possess the high-powered attack that Washington State will bring to San Diego, but the Golden Gophers can lean on a ball-control offense to keep the Cougars on the sidelines. Rodney Smith (1,084 yards) leads the team in rushing, with Shannon Brooks (599) and quarterback Mitch Leidner (340) chipping in. Which team will dictate its style of play?

Early Prediction: Washington State

http://athlonsports.com/college-foo...ollege-football-bowls-2016-must-see-must-miss

Go Gophers!!

Who's keeping the dink count?

Looks like Bleacher Report, Rittenberg and Athlon are all dinks.

You can spin it that way but I would say you are underestimating Washington St's rush defense.

Gophers get to use the 2-4-5 look. Devers, Coughlin, Martin coming off of edge; Celestin and Rallis from middle. Travis and Duke from anywhere. We have a lot of looks we can use with all but Poock healthy. The key is to TACKLE WELL after dink dunk passes. Making the receivers pay (without targeting) will make them less enthusiastic to catch the ball.
On offense, we need long, sustained drives. Need to get a little more creative in run schemes: jet sweeps to WIDE SIDE of the field, occasional reverse or counter. In pass game, get Mitch some confidence with bubbles/short stuff. Use Beebe and Woz!
The key will be at halftime; even if successful first half, coaches need to have new game plan in second half. If D keeps using same looks, Leach will shred us (see Texas Tech/Glen Mason for example) On offense, stretch field more than first half and STAY CREATIVE! Run run pass won't cut it. Let the guys play loose and fun. Go Gophers!
Minnesota 42, WSU 31

WSU jumping in here.

I have only seen you guys play one game, that versus Oregon State, so I have zero knowledge about your team and will be doing research.

I went to every WSU game less ASU, and Colorado.

The teams that gave WSU absolute fits were Colorado and UW. Not counting the 1st 2 games as we were a mess due to the aftermath of a monster fight at a frat in July. It really screwed the team up those first 2 weeks.

They only game WSU really stunk it up in in Conf was Oregon State. They were just dead ass, and it was 24-6 at half. Leach must have melted some walls as by the 4th quarter it was 35-24. UW is really good and Colorado's QB could run and throw.

UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, ASU, AZ and Oregon State(after they woke up) all had serious issues at QB and WSU just put 8 guys in the box and dared them to throw it, they could not do it so they just stopped the run cold. That was a huge measure to our success in conf this year.

UW's QB torched us for 250 yards in the 1st quarter, game was over in like 8 minutes. Colorado could run and throw, just killed us. Cal's QB tossed for like 400 yards, but could not run it. They were just a bad team and we tore them apart.

It will be interesting to see if this falls the way so many of our games did during the year. They were great against the run, until a QB could wing it then WSU really struggled.

WSU jumping in here.

I have only seen you guys play one game, that versus Oregon State, so I have zero knowledge about your team and will be doing research.

I went to every WSU game less ASU, and Colorado.

The teams that gave WSU absolute fits were Colorado and UW. Not counting the 1st 2 games as we were a mess due to the aftermath of a monster fight at a frat in July. It really screwed the team up those first 2 weeks.

They only game WSU really stunk it up in in Conf was Oregon State. They were just dead ass, and it was 24-6 at half. Leach must have melted some walls as by the 4th quarter it was 35-24. UW is really good and Colorado's QB could run and throw.

UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, ASU, AZ and Oregon State(after they woke up) all had serious issues at QB and WSU just put 8 guys in the box and dared them to throw it, they could not do it so they just stopped the run cold. That was a huge measure to our success in conf this year.

UW's QB torched us for 250 yards in the 1st quarter, game was over in like 8 minutes. Colorado could run and throw, just killed us. Cal's QB tossed for like 400 yards, but could not run it. They were just a bad team and we tore them apart.

It will be interesting to see if this falls the way so many of our games did during the year. They were great against the run, until a QB could wing it then WSU really struggled.

Well, that rules out the Gophers!!

We need to pound the rock, plays solid D and create a couple of turnovers and be solid in the kicking game. That is the formula for success for the Gophers. We don't have the type of passing game that will dictate the game.

On paper this does not appear to be a very good matchup for the Gophers. But that is why they play the games!

WSU jumping in here.

Mitch will wing it about 20 rows into the stands, 20 feet into the ground or 20 feet into a Cougar's mitts. The one thing he won't do is wing it into his own receivers paws. No need to do anymore research.

Mitch will wing it about 20 rows into the stands, 20 feet into the ground or 20 feet into a Cougar's mitts. The one thing he won't do is wing it into his own receivers paws. No need to do anymore research.

You forgot to mention that in the rare case that ML7 does wing it into his own receivers paws that the said receiver will promptly drop it.

Sounds like WSU will load the box and dare us to pass. I think I have seen that somewhere before.

ESPN chimes in, sans scores:

Bold predictions: Some of the best work of Leidner’s career has come in the postseason with extra time to prepare, and the senior isn’t going to leave anything in the tank for his last start with the Gophers. Expect an inspired performance from Leidner as he tries to go out with a victory, and look for him to post his first game with multiple touchdown passes since September in the process. -- Austin Ward

WSU forced 22 turnovers this season but was one of just three Power 5 programs with a winning record that did not to score a defensive touchdown (Florida State and Texas A&M were the others). For an interesting comparison, Alabama only forced two more turnovers this year but led the nation with 10 defensive touchdowns. The Cougars have gone 19 straight games without a defensive touchdown, but that streak will end in San Diego. -- Kyle Bonagura

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...wl-early-look-minnesota-vs-washington-state-2

Go Gophers!!

Brainerd Dispatch chimes in:

ABOUT MINNESOTA (8-4, 5-4 Big Ten): While first-year coach Tracy Claeys failed to record any marquee victories, the Gophers avoided any major missteps and nearly won at Penn State in early October before falling 29-26 in overtime. Leidner has completed 56.4 percent of his passes for 2,040 yards and seven touchdowns, including five to Southern California native Drew Wolitarsky, who has caught 61 passes for 787 yards. The Gophers ranked 13th in the Big 10 in pass defense but linemen Steven Richardson and Blake Cashman combined for 13.5 sacks and could help disrupt Falk's rhythm.

ABOUT WASHINGTON STATE (8-4, 7-2 Pac-12): Falk is without injured starting wide receiver River Cracraft but still has a pair of potent deep threats in Gabe Marks and Tavares Martin Jr., who combined for 146 catches, 1,575 yards and 20 touchdowns. Left guard Cody O'Connell was named a first team All-American while safety Shalom Luani joined Marks as an All-Pac-12 first team selection after recording four interceptions along with 58 tackles, including 8.5 for loss. The Cougars' underrated defense includes linebacker Peyton Pelluer, who had a team-high 89 tackles and will play a key role in slowing down the Gophers' running game.

PREDICTION: Washington State 38, Minnesota 31

http://www.brainerddispatch.com/spo...ay-bowl-preview-minnesota-vs-washington-state

Go Gophers!!

Brainerd Dispatch chimes in:

ABOUT MINNESOTA (8-4, 5-4 Big Ten): While first-year coach Tracy Claeys failed to record any marquee victories, the Gophers avoided any major missteps and nearly won at Penn State in early October before falling 29-26 in overtime. Leidner has completed 56.4 percent of his passes for 2,040 yards and seven touchdowns, including five to Southern California native Drew Wolitarsky, who has caught 61 passes for 787 yards. The Gophers ranked 13th in the Big 10 in pass defense but linemen Steven Richardson and Blake Cashman combined for 13.5 sacks and could help disrupt Falk's rhythm.

ABOUT WASHINGTON STATE (8-4, 7-2 Pac-12): Falk is without injured starting wide receiver River Cracraft but still has a pair of potent deep threats in Gabe Marks and Tavares Martin Jr., who combined for 146 catches, 1,575 yards and 20 touchdowns. Left guard Cody O'Connell was named a first team All-American while safety Shalom Luani joined Marks as an All-Pac-12 first team selection after recording four interceptions along with 58 tackles, including 8.5 for loss. The Cougars' underrated defense includes linebacker Peyton Pelluer, who had a team-high 89 tackles and will play a key role in slowing down the Gophers' running game.

PREDICTION: Washington State 38, Minnesota 31

http://www.brainerddispatch.com/spo...ay-bowl-preview-minnesota-vs-washington-state

Go Gophers!!

I was eagerly awaiting the Brainerd Dispatch prediction. Thanks!!

Yahoo:

Holiday Bowl (18): Washington State vs. Minnesota

When: Dec. 27, 7 p.m.

Where: San Diego.

Watchability: Almost always an aesthetically pleasing game on the green grass of Jack Murphy Stadium, and it’s not every day you can flip on the TV and see these two teams match up in a warm-weather locale (last of five meetings was in 1988, and all five meetings were in Minneapolis). Plus, there is the whole question of how many Gophers are eligible.

Line: Washington State by 6½.

If the Holiday Bowl were a person: It would be the person who shows up at the 25-year class reunion still looking 30 years old. Without forcing it.

The pick: Washington State 31, Minnesota 20. The Gophers’ defense has allowed 21 touchdown passes and made eight interceptions, tied with Rutgers for the worst ratio in the Big Ten. The Cougars (39 TD passes, 11 interceptions) throw it better than anyone Minnesota has faced. That’s a bad combination.

Conference records: Pac-12 1-0, Big Ten 1-1.

per ESPN:

OK, here's the deal: The following information is for entertainment purposes only. Please don't copy my selections and paste them into your bowl confidence pools and then curse me out on Twitter three weeks from now about my (possibly) horrible selections.

To be honest, I'm confident in about the first 10 selections. After that, they're pretty much toss-ups, and the outcomes might come down to what always matters most during bowl season: motivation.

Here are my bowl predictions, ranked in the order of most confident to least confident.

31. National Funding Holiday Bowl: Minnesota vs. Washington State (Dec. 27, 7 p.m. ET, ESPN/ESPN App)
(Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego)

The Gophers were underdogs to begin with, and now they'll be missing 10 players who are suspended. Cougars coach Mike Leach does look a little bit like Carl Spackler.
Prediction: Washington State 41, Minnesota 21

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...t-college-football-playoff-semifinal-matchups

Go Gophers!!

Maybe the thread title should be changed to :Holiday Bowl Edition: NIU vs Washington State

Top Bottom