Pitino after Vandy win: We found a way to win ugly.

GopherLady

Reaction score
Here are some quick notes from his interview with Spencer and Mike on ESPN 1500:

Pitino:
• On 12-2 run in final minutes - Last year, we wouldn't be able to win a game shooting 39%, but we got stops and rebounds when we needed to. Amir made 2 big plays at the end…I don't think we win this game last year.
• I didn't prefer that start, but we were pretty composed at the beginning of the game. To hold them to 30% is huge. If we can do a better job at the foul line, it can really help. We found a way to win ugly, and find a run at the end.
• On Bakary - I thought he was tremendous, he had 7 great boards, a great dunk in traffic. Not one time has he complained about minutes or his role, he comes every day with a smile on his face ready to work.
• On fouls - they're a different type of team, FSU was so big and aggressive, this team was a lot more finesse. Our biggest weakness was offensive rebounds.
• I think I used 2 TO's to stop some runs at the end. I thought our activity defensively was good.
• It was a lot of fun, I love playing here, it's great for so many reasons, for our fans, great venue, and play a good quality opponent.

A fun game to watch, ugliness notwithstanding. The Gophers went as their defense went, especially in the second half. They clamped down at the end.

This is the best defense we have had in awhile, no doubt about it. If we can figure out the half-court offense, we can make the tournament.

A fun game to watch, ugliness notwithstanding. The Gophers went as their defense went, especially in the second half. They clamped down at the end.

Ugly win is always better than a well fought loss, or worse...moral victory!

Great to see us win a game where we shot horribly.

8th in the Big Ten and knocking on the door of the top 50 at #51 in kenpom. Vandy is at 70, St. John's is 113, Arkansas at 49, UT Arlington at 72

8th in the Big Ten and knocking on the door of the top 50 at #51 in kenpom. Vandy is at 70, St. John's is 113, Arkansas at 49, UT Arlington at 72

Yeah, our adjusted defensive efficiency is up to 24th in the country as well. Some other defensive stats:

EFG% Against: 40.7%- 7th in the country
2P% Against: 39.5%- 12th in the country
3P% Against- 28.7%- 31st in the country
Block%: 15.3- 26th in the country

I'll never understand how Kenpom arrives at his rankings

Vandy isn't great but a nice win still. This team is giving me a lot of hope for this program moving forward.

I can't seem to recall, but didn't Tubby employ something called the ball-line defense? Or was it the ball-line offense...or maybe both:confused:

I believe kenpom is supposed to be a predictive ranking, it's based more on margin of victory than straight up wins and losses, and still takes last year into account until January or something. Could be a little off because of same major changes to the Gophers' roster over the offseason. Lynch and Coffey are two major assets we didn't have last year, not to mention Springs and Curry.

I can't seem to recall, but didn't Tubby employ something called the ball-line defense? Or was it the ball-line offense...or maybe both:confused:

I think some of the current players (and one former player) executed the ball line offense late in the season last year.

I believe kenpom is supposed to be a predictive ranking, it's based more on margin of victory than straight up wins and losses, and still takes last year into account until January or something. Could be a little off because of same major changes to the Gophers' roster over the offseason. Lynch and Coffey are two major assets we didn't have last year, not to mention Springs and Curry.

There's an uncle and a dad who are beaming with pride no doubt.

Me neither, but Ken Pomeroy tweeted a few days ago that Jan. 23 is the day all of last season's metrics fall out of this year's rankings. So take a look on Jan. 23, and from then out it's all 2016-17 numbers.

Top Bottom