P.J.FLECK to Purdue......

Drew Brees? Purdue was going to have to overpay to land a quality head coach. And they did. "e.bigelow:Guessing that a donor paid for it. Either directly, or by donating to the general fund. Certain possible. But that is a huge, or YUGE, donation to help cover some of that salary."

Jim Gaffigan. :eek:

Looks like windows are closing for PJ. Baylor out. No longer being considered by Oregon with no interview.

Looks like windows are closing for PJ. Baylor out. No longer being considered by Oregon with no interview.

Western Michigan

P.J. Fleck is running out of options.

Western Michigan's ultra-hot coach is seeing potential destinations drop off the board school by school. Purdue went with Western Kentucky's Jeff Brohm. Baylor is filled. Fleck's name has not come up at Houston. Oregon seems to be going in a different direction.

With only one Power Five job (Oregon) open, it's possible Fleck returns to Kalamazoo.

Cincinnati

Fleck's representatives told Cincinnati officials the coach wants a Power Five job to the point he wouldn't speak to the Bearcats' hierarchy. "P.J. is not in play here," a Cincinnati official said.

Tommy Tuberville resigned at Cincinnati on Sunday.

While former Texas coach Charlie Strong is "on the list" at Cincinnati, he is not thought to be a top choice.

Oregon and Baylor

New Baylor coach Matt Rhule turned down an offer from Oregon to go to Baylor, a highly placed source told CBS Sports.

Before taking the Baylor job, Rhule had met personally with Nike CEO Phil Knight, the source said. Oregon reportedly interviewed Taggart and Boise State's Bryan Harsin over the weekend.

"Matt's a smart guy. I think that he's organized, detail oriented," said Jay Paterno, who coached Rhule at Penn State. "I think he'll do well there. The tough thing in that state is the number of non-Texas guys that have gone in there and not done well. It's a pretty cliquey situation.

A former Penn State linebacker from State College who has spent almost his entire career on the East Coast, Rhule is taking over the football equivalent of a dumpster fire.

The 2016 recruiting class was gutted in the wake of the sexual assault scandal. The 2017 class currently has only one commitment.

Why would he turn down the riches of Oregon? Baylor may actually be an easier rebuild. Oregon suddenly finds itself in a loaded Pac-12 North with playoff participant Washington, Stanford and a Washington State that has a chance to win nine two years in a row.

"It doesn't seem right but Oregon's not the job it used to be," said a person intimately involved with the Oregon program. "They have the greatest facilities in the world, but you still have issues there with recruiting and weather that you don't in the state of Texas."

Baylor lies in the middle of fertile recruiting ground. If the NCAA does come in, the program could rebound quickly but fans must have patience as those barren recruiting classes are addressed.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...y-impresses-houston-matt-rhule-spurns-oregon/

Wow, turning down Oregon for Baylor is pretty crazy.

It is a dumpster fire but I'm sure they backed up the Brinks truck and gave a huge buy-out. Plus the talent level is probably still more appealing.

It is a dumpster fire but I'm sure they backed up the Brinks truck and gave a huge buy-out. Plus the talent level is probably still more appealing.

They have less than 50 players on scholarship right now. A full class doesn't even fill them up. He truly will be allowed to build it his way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this rate Fleck will end up being the next coach at Minnesota or Illinois.

Looks to me as if PJF isn't as desirable to people that matter as he is to some GHers. I'm sure it is the ADs that are wrong tho.

Looks to me as if PJF isn't as desirable to people that matter as he is to some GHers. I'm sure it is the ADs that are wrong tho.

I'm guessing he's just holding out for his dream job here in the Twin Cities. Can't blame him, it's beautiful out tonight...

I'm guessing he's just holding out for his dream job here in the Twin Cities. Can't blame him, it's beautiful out tonight...

Yes, that would be the other option I didn't consider.

It is funny at how quickly the shine has seemed to come off him. Not ready for prime time I guess.

Fleck is a hot ... prospect.

PJ might be above Purdue... straight to Texas would be a surprise.

He wants to move up and coach St. Thomas?

Fleck is a hot ... prospect.

PJ might be above Purdue... straight to Texas would be a surprise.

He's a gamble. Purdue didn't even bother contacting him. If he has another big season at W Mich then he'll get more looks after next year. If he doesn't have big season, well, he's got a nice paying gig for many years. If it is true he told his agent to tell Cinci that he's not interested, he's an idiot.

He's a gamble. Purdue didn't even bother contacting him. If he has another big season at W Mich then he'll get more looks after next year. If he doesn't have big season, well, he's got a nice paying gig for many years. If it is true he told his agent to tell Cinci that he's not interested, he's an idiot.

I'm not sure we know who actually contacts who with this stuff. All the rumors are contradictory.

Maybe Purdue really wanted a more established guy (xs and os wise)?

I think we put a lot of faith in the AD picking and choosing market and there's not much evidence that they're all that efficient at picking prospects out. I think they're much more scattershot in picking good coaches.

Purdue in particular....

Proof? Everything I've read said it was the opposite. Just like Fleck isn't interested in Cincinnati, and wasn't interested in Syracuse when Coyle contacted him last year.

Proof? Everything I've read said it was the opposite. Just like Fleck isn't interested in Cincinnati, and wasn't interested in Syracuse when Coyle contacted him last year.

The dude is at W Michigan. When he is there next year it is because Purdue, Oregon, Baylor, Texas, etc. just weren't impressed. To think it is his choice to stay and is picking not to be considered is silly. If he was to do that at any of these places, or Cincy, then I can only assume he read GH and was fooled into how "in demand" he was.

And where in these links did it say that Fleck was interested but it was Purdue's choice to not interview him?

He and Brohm took the same stance of not interviewing until season was complete. Fleck spoke with nobody from Purdue and did not have an interview scheduled. Purdue hired Brohm. Not rocket science.

He and Brohm took the same stance of not interviewing until season was complete. Fleck spoke with nobody from Purdue and did not have an interview scheduled. Purdue hired Brohm. Not rocket science.

And your articles were pre MAC championship game, except for the one that said Purdue hired Brohm. It's been said for a long time that Fleck was #1 on Purdue's list and Brohm was #2. They could have contacted him after the game, Fleck told them he wasn't interested, and they moved onto Brohm. You're right, it's not rocket science.

And your articles were pre MAC championship game, except for the one that said Purdue hired Brohm. It's been said for a long time that Fleck was #1 on Purdue's list and Brohm was #2. They could have contacted him after the game, Fleck told them he wasn't interested, and they moved onto Brohm. You're right, it's not rocket science.

I tried, and you are trying too hard.

And your articles were pre MAC championship game, except for the one that said Purdue hired Brohm. <b>It's been said for a long time that Fleck was #1 on Purdue's list and Brohm was #2. They could have contacted him after the game, Fleck told them he wasn't interested, and they moved onto Brohm. </b>You're right, it's not rocket science.

Proof?

Honestly I had really never heard him speak and was going on his success and recruiting at Western Michigan. Hearing him over the weekend I can see how there could be fear of his over the top personality and it wearing off. Looks like Baylor, Purdue and Oregon all got good hires.

Oregon or Texas? ;)

Fleck was never an option at Texas and who knows what happened with Oregon. Fleck has said before he wants to stay in the Midwest. Plus we just saw Rhule turn down Oregon for Baylor...

Top Bottom