Looking at 2017 schedule

Have you not seen what other teams are graduating?

Nebraska loses a quarterback that gave us major problems with his mobility, their starting RB, their #1 + #3 + #4 receivers, their #1 TE (and #5 receiver), #2 TE, their starting center, a starting DE who led their team in sacks and TFL, two starting LBs (one of whom was the team's #1 tackler), and their All Big Ten safety who was #2 in tackles.

3-9 Michigan State loses their starting QB, #1 + #3 receivers, #1 TE (and #4 receiver), #2 TE, three starting OL, an All-Big Ten and potential 1st round pick at DT, an All-Big Ten starting LB, a starting CB, and a starting S.
Very true but Nebraska has been out recruiting us for.....well since probably the 60's. So they are going to have significantly better talent.
Nebraska also has a better coaching staff too. Better players and better guys coaching up those players.....says Nebraska will be better next year.

The same thing goes for MSU too.

And according to Trudat only Minnesota is losing seniors. Typical Gopher fan where the glass is always half empty.

He's a Badger fan who feigns concerned pessimism about the Gophers in a weak attempt at appearing sincere.

He's a Badger fan who feigns concerned pessimism about the Gophers in a weak attempt at appearing sincere.
[emoji33] nice work bully

It's funny how you never rebut anything I say you just attack me

As I keep saying, wanting something to happen does not mean it will happen.

I want the Gophers to move up to that next level - winning 9 or even 10 games on a regular basis, and playing in major bowl games.

But - the records don't lie. Since 1967, the Gophers have finished the season ranked in the top 20 twice. one 10-win season in 2003.

49 years - two seasons in the top 20.

So, what is the basis for optimism? To believe the Gophers will move to the next level, you have to believe that:
A. Tracy Claeys is the right coach for the program
B. Claeys and his staff are able to recruit (and or "coach up") the talent needed to improve the team's performance
C. Jay Johnson's offense will show a significant improvement (while breaking in a new QB).

That's a lot to swallow. I would love to be that optimistic - but I'm not. I just don't seen any clear proof that the Gophers are a program poised to take the next step. I see a program that, at best, can hold onto the current level - win 7 or 8 games and play in a mid-level bowl game. To move beyond that level will require a higher level of talent, and (IMHO) better coaching.

SON, you are exactly right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not think it is wise to overlook Middle Tennessee State. They lost to Vandy by three and beat Missouri. They lose their leading rusher but return quite a bit of talent. Stock-still is a good coach. Don't sleep on them.

I do not know where our young QB development is at, but that is a reason we hired a new offensive coaching staff. That and several years years of an underachieving OL (since Gordie Shaw). If even one of these young QBs is B1G material we will have a great year next year. We will have spring practice before we know it and will have some decent clues then. I really liked Mitch and wanted him to be the one, however...

At this point only Wisky looks like a rough game but we outplayed them for 3 quarters this year and get them at home next year.

I do not know where our young QB development is at, but that is a reason we hired a new offensive coaching staff. That and several years years of an underachieving OL (since Gordie Shaw). If even one of these young QBs is B1G material we will have a great year next year. We will have spring practice before we know it and will have some decent clues then. I really liked Mitch and wanted him to be the one, however...

At this point only Wisky looks like a rough game but we outplayed them for 3 quarters this year and get them at home next year.
Only Wisconsin? Yeah Michigan won't be tough at all. 3 quarters? Try one half. I don't remember us putting up any points in the 2nd half.

I do not think it is wise to overlook Middle Tennessee State. They lost to Vandy by three and beat Missouri. They lose their leading rusher but return quite a bit of talent. Stock-still is a good coach. Don't sleep on them.

I believe they are losing 4 of their starting 5 O lineman and all 4 or 3 of their 4 starting D lineman as well.

2017 Gopher Schedule

Opponent - Rank - 2016 Record Conference Record

Buffalo Bulls - 2-10 (1-7)
at Oregon State - 4-8 (3-6)
Middle TN - 8-4 (5-3)
Maryland - 6-6 (3-6)
at Purdue - 3-9 (1-8)
Michigan State 3-9 :)eek: ) 1-8
Illinois - 3-9 (2-7)
at Iowa #22 - 8-4 (6-3)
at Michigan #5 - 10-2 (7-2)
Nebraska #23 - 9-3 (6-3)
at Northwestern - 6-6 (5-4)
Wisconsin #6 - 10-2 - (7-2)

Cross over games

Nebraska -
Penn State
Ohio State
Rutgers

Wisconsin-
Maryland
Indiana
Michigan

Iowa-
Michigan State
Ohio State
Penn State

Northwestern-
Penn State
Michigan State
Maryland

Minnesota -
Maryland
Michigan State
Michigan

2017 Gopher Schedule

Opponent - Rank - 2016 Record Conference Record

Buffalo Bulls - 2-10 (1-7)
at Oregon State - 4-8 (3-6)
Middle TN - 8-4 (5-3)
Maryland - 6-6 (3-6)
at Purdue - 3-9 (1-8)
Michigan State 3-9 :)eek: ) 1-8
Illinois - 3-9 (2-7)
at Iowa #22 - 8-4 (6-3)
at Michigan #5 - 10-2 (7-2)
Nebraska #23 - 9-3 (6-3)
at Northwestern - 6-6 (5-4)
Wisconsin #6 - 10-2 - (7-2)
Do you think msu is going to be 3-9 next year? Their Jimmys and Joes are more talented then our's.

Do you think msu is going to be 3-9 next year? Their Jimmys and Joes are more talented then our's.

Since that was a "surprised" emoji, what do you think? Gees.......

[emoji33] nice work bully

It's funny how you never rebut anything I say you just attack me

In dpo's defense, you are either a troll or the worst Gopher fan of all time. TruDat.

Very true but Nebraska has been out recruiting us for.....well since probably the 60's. So they are going to have significantly better talent.
Nebraska also has a better coaching staff too. Better players and better guys coaching up those players.....says Nebraska will be better next year.

The same thing goes for MSU too.

Mike Riley's staff? Really? Got stomped by OSU and Iowa. He's a stumble at the season's start from unemployment.

Mike Riley's staff? Really? Got stomped by OSU and Iowa. He's a stumble at the season's start from unemployment.
9-3 beat us and kicking our ass in recruiting. You can't say with a straight face that our coaching staff is better.

Well that's like, your opinion man.

Forget margin of victory. The hubris it takes to compare the success and wins Neb has had this season and the recent past to what the Gophers are is absurd. We are not equals. Saying it on this forum certainly doesn't make it true. To say that our football programs should be considered equals is just outlandish. They also control the head-to-head and are more likely to have near-term future success.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. There isn't a legitimate argument to make that says we're currently, or soon likely to be, better than Neb.

There are people on this site that want the best for the Gophs. That accept the downs with the ups, and acknowledge them both. Being unwilling to have honest conversations about the state of the program is what keeps it in a perpetual state of mediocrity.

So when will you acknowledge any ups Mr Downer

9-3 beat us and kicking our ass in recruiting. You can't say with a straight face that our coaching staff is better.

Nice try. To say they out recruit Gophs is a firm grasp of the obvious. Tipped pass away from beating them at home. If they are a better staff they sure didn't prove it, especially having all that highly recruited talent to work with...

They also beat us head-to-head.

Thanks to done extraordinary plays by their senior QB for whom they, like us, have no experienced replacement. We won't have a clue what to expect in that game until we see both teams perform over the first 1/2 of the season.

And according to Trudat only Minnesota is losing seniors. Typical Gopher fan where the glass is always half empty.

You really think he's a gopher fan?

Nice try. To say they out recruit Gophs is a firm grasp of the obvious. Tipped pass away from beating them at home. If they are a better staff they sure didn't prove it, especially having all that highly recruited talent to work with...

You mean a tipped pass away from having a chance to tie the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You mean a tipped pass away from having a chance to tie the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TC goes for and gets two pointer. Dagger. As pointed out earlier...but for that over the top performance from Armstrong in the preceding series. Arguably his best overall game performance of the year.

Well I think we have better talent than Oregon State but that was a tied game with less than 2 minutes. Didn't we need a last second fg to be the sh-ttest team in the B1G? So we played Nebraska close doesn't disprove that they have more talent and better coaching. We are much better than orst and rutgers but those game were very close.

We went punt punt punt int in the second half against Nebraska. Put up less than 100 yards of total offense in the half. I am going to go with thier defense was having thier way with us.

Fact Nebraska has more talent than us. Do you want to debate that?
Mike Riley has won a lot more game than Tracy Claeys and at a school where it is more difficult to win than Minnesota. Any issues with this?

Well I think we have better talent than Oregon State but that was a tied game with less than 2 minutes. Didn't we need a last second fg to be the sh-ttest team in the B1G? So we played Nebraska close doesn't disprove that they have more talent and better coaching. We are much better than orst and rutgers but those game were very close.

We went punt punt punt int in the second half against Nebraska. Put up less than 100 yards of total offense in the half. I am going to go with thier defense was having thier way with us.

Fact Nebraska has more talent than us. Do you want to debate that?
Mike Riley has won a lot more game than Tracy Claeys and at a school where it is more difficult to win than Minnesota. Any issues with this?

Well, since TC is a 1st year HC, and Riley has been one for what...15 years, I would hope he's won a lot more games. What a stupid ass statement.

Oh and grammar and punctuation must be really overrated for you.

Again, Stating Nebraska has more talented players than the Gophs just confirms you have a firm grasp of the obvious.

He's a complete a$$ hat- don't bother with the clown.

So when will you acknowledge any ups Mr Downer

I posted congrats in the Emmett Carpenter award thread. His kicking stability makes a big difference for this squad.

I won't participate in building up absurdities - this team has some glaring weaknesses. But kicker, RB, Richardson, and LB have been strong components this year.

Most of the time my posts are forced to be responses to hissy fits after stating I don't believe Claeys is the right head coach or that there is little evidence we're about to take off into the B1G's top tier.

Top Bottom