Doogie: Still believe that the 2017 starting QB isn't currently on the roster.

I have no problem with this guy. I think it would be the right thing to do because if you want to go to the style that Johnson wants, better have 3-4 QB's because they will get hurt in his preferred style. They are going to take hits. As much as Leidner is a target right now, there is no doubting his toughness and take hits. But what is wrong with analyzing a player's stats? Isn't that what chat boards are for? I think the point is he piled up stats against teams that are so far from being close to Big Ten caliber that it is fair to provide context. What could be possibly wrong with that?

And he lit them up like he was supposed to. What's your point? His team was 5-4 and underclass men, so hardly a juggernaut. He wasn't playing for a powerhouse team like Seth Green was in Texas, and his stats still weren't that impressive vs overmatched competition. Rolling over patsies is what good QBs do, good RBs, and on down the line. We rolled up big stats this year in pts/game, sacks, turnovers in large part by playing lightweights and several backup/rookie QBs.

So what is your guys problem with this guy?

First year starter, guys.

I'm not making an argument that he's going to set the world on fire but if you're looking solely at completion percentage that's a mistake IMO. His YPA and TD to int #s per drop back are just fine. Some of the things he did on his hudl, to me, are signs of good instincts.

Both Green and Croft had worse stats coming out of high school, if memory serves. Green in particular was rated on potential and he never lived up to it at that level, so Oregon backed off. Streveler, Perra, and Rhoda are gone or going. So here we are, talking about Ta'amu.

Is Jay Johnson's system flexible enough to play to the strength(s) of his QB talent rather than trying to fit a QB in a mold that may not fit him? Until he can find his ideal guy, this is the here and now.

Secondly, what is Ta'Amu's level of competition in JC? It seems to me that he is a run first QB who can fling accurate throws on the fly. Can he successfully replicate that in B1G play against faster stronger P5 defenses? If he relies on running first, he'll get killed.

IMHO, I think Mitch Leidner suffered a concussion on that sideline hit in the Iowa game that should have been an ejection. He got nailed helmet to helmet in the Wisconsin game too, and that wasn't called either. Ta-Amu or any QB will have the same risk relying on running ability first. Will it be preferable to go after a Malik Zaire type of grad transfer?

Finally, the GOphers really need a really good aggressive recruiter who can close the deal on a good QB and the guys we normally lose to competition like Amir Watts who ended up going to Pitt. We just need to be lucky in recruiting and get one or two potentially blue chip players. You have to manufacture your luck in the recruiting game.

Is this guy just a twitter bot or something?

His tweets that get posted here seem like something you'd get out of one of those scripts that aggregates data and automatically writes low effort news bits.

Green in particular was rated on potential and he never lived up to it at that level, so Oregon backed off.

No No NO!

I'm going with the story line that we stole a QB from Oregon... out of the recruiting hot bed of Texas.... and at the same time somehow kept a big time in state recruit!

Trifecta!

Without knowing our other options it's hard to get too excited or too down about this guy. He does some things well (in a highlight video) but there are causes for concern as others have pointed out. No matter how you slice it though, we need another QB on roster. It sounds like the staff does not want to start Croft or Green next year, but even if they do we will need depth behind them. I don't think we're going to land Zaire or anyone of that level, so guys like Ta'amu are what we're left with. Just have to hope the staff is able to identify the right guy and he is able to come in a play well.

Does anyone know why Croft seems to be in the doghouse? He seemed like the next QB 2 years ago.

Is Jay Johnson's system flexible enough to play to the strength(s) of his QB talent rather than trying to fit a QB in a mold that may not fit him? Until he can find his ideal guy, this is the here and now.

Secondly, what is Ta'Amu's level of competition in JC? It seems to me that he is a run first QB who can fling accurate throws on the fly. Can he successfully replicate that in B1G play against faster stronger P5 defenses? If he relies on running first, he'll get killed.

IMHO, I think Mitch Leidner suffered a concussion on that sideline hit in the Iowa game that should have been an ejection. He got nailed helmet to helmet in the Wisconsin game too, and that wasn't called either. Ta-Amu or any QB will have the same risk relying on running ability first. Will it be preferable to go after a Malik Zaire type of grad transfer?

Finally, the GOphers really need a really good aggressive recruiter who can close the deal on a good QB and the guys we normally lose to competition like Amir Watts who ended up going to Pitt. We just need to be lucky in recruiting and get one or two potentially blue chip players. You have to manufacture your luck in the recruiting game.

Outside of outright bribery, it helps to have guys with experience in the big leagues, whether playing or putting guys in the NFL. The current staff is a hindrance after going so long with so few developmental hits.

Does anyone know why Croft seems to be in the doghouse? He seemed like the next QB 2 years ago.

Not gaining weight is a big part of it supposedly. They want a runner that can get tough yards and Croft @ 200 lbs soaking wet with rocks in his pockets isn't ideal. They think Green is the future but needs another year, so they're trying to get an upgrade over Demry for 2017. This is all from a reliable source but I'm 4th or so on the information chain, so take it all with a big grain of salt.

Outside of the top rated Juco qb, can anyone name one Juco qb that led a P5 school to big wins? An under recruited Juco does nothing for me at this position.

Also, they better go find a WR as well.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Not gaining weight is a big part of it supposedly. They want a runner that can get tough yards and Croft @ 200 lbs soaking wet with rocks in his pockets isn't ideal. They think Green is the future but needs another year, so they're trying to get an upgrade over Demry for 2017. This is all from a reliable source but I'm 4th or so on the information chain, so take it all with a big grain of salt.

Thanks! I was excited when we got him...sorry to hear it.

Outside of the top rated Juco qb, can anyone name one Juco qb that led a P5 school to big wins? An under recruited Juco does nothing for me at this position.

Josh Heupel Oklahoma.

Is there a reason to think it hasn't happened?

It seems likely it would have occurred plenty of times. I don't think that means much one way or another.

Aww to be young and not able to gain wait. Who is the better passer as of today I wonder?

Aaron Rodgers had little to no interest even as a JUCO. Obviously there are other guys like Newton that were more heavily recruited out of high school rather than being a late bloomer.

Aww to be young and not able to gain wait. Who is the better passer as of today I wonder?

If somehow Minnesota could harness the power of its older fan base's ability to gain weight and channel it to our players.... our team would be enormous and unbeatable.

I think he was "next" QB because people didn't want to believe ML7 was the best on the team.

Former JUCO Travis Cole led the Gophers to a win over Ohio State in 2000. That was a big win.

Former JUCO Travis Cole led the Gophers to a win over Ohio State in 2000. That was a big win.

it's been a while but Hohensee led wins over No 6 Iowa and No 18 Ohio State in 1981. sadly, the wheels came off the program in 1982. Hohensee was JUCO (at Mt. San Antonio College)

Chad Kelly and Bo Wallace at Ole Miss, Marshall at Auburn. Those guys were pretty highly rated but looks like Ta'amu is the #1 JC QB in the country anyways.

Travis Cole was a Juco All-American.

So out of every 100 or so Juco QB's, that go P5, maybe 2% turn out to be good. So you're saying there's a chance?!!!!

Travis Cole was a Juco All-American.

So out of every 100 or so Juco QB's, that go P5, maybe 2% turn out to be good. So you're saying there's a chance?!!!!

What is "good" and what % of non JUCO QBs turn out to be "good"?

By some folks standards anything short of Steve Young level **** isn't "good".

Why would you have this theory without doing any research? Just a hunch?

So are you asking who, besides the the top rated JuCo QBs have led P5 teams to wins over the last few years?

Jack Hubenak played quite a bit at A&M last year.
Troy Williams had a really nice year at Utah
Jacob Park at Iowa State
Stephen Johnson had a really nice year at Kentucky
Richard Lagow was decent at Indiana

Those are just from the last couple of years.

Why would you have this theory without doing any research? Just a hunch?

So are you asking who, besides the the top rated JuCo QBs have led P5 teams to wins over the last few years?

Jack Hubenak played quite a bit at A&M last year.
Troy Williams had a really nice year at Utah
Jacob Park at Iowa State
Stephen Johnson had a really nice year at Kentucky
Richard Lagow was decent at Indiana

Those are just from the last couple of years.

i would gladly take a Jerod Evans, Va Tech

And how did you decipher that outta "he's a solidly built guy with some height" ? Green is 6-4 235, and Croft is 6-5 200 ... I'm aware of that. Just saying at 6-3 200 he's not ideal size but he's also not fragile looking and short. It's not a big enough detriment not to pursue him. So pretty much the opposite of your interpretation.

The thread premise is 2017 starter isn't on the roster. Given that, thought you were inferring that we don't already have that on the roster.

Top Bottom