Doogie: Still believe that the 2017 starting QB isn't currently on the roster.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I'm intrigued.

Yes, he's a solidly built guy with some height and his passes hit the receivers in stride so they can run after the catch. I understand it's highlight tape but still...he throws on the run accurately...again on tape. Would be a great addition to our mix and if we have an inside track I'd understand the Rhoda move.

Yes, he's a solidly built guy with some height and his passes hit the receivers in stride so they can run after the catch. I understand it's highlight tape but still...he throws on the run accurately...again on tape. Would be a great addition to our mix and if we have an inside track I'd understand the Rhoda move.

Take out his two blow-out wins and he's below 50% passer. How is he more solidly built than either Croft or Green?

Only averaged 2.8 YPC. I'm still on board, though. More competition the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take out his two blow-out wins and he's below 50% passer. How is he more solidly built than either Croft or Green?

And what is he if you take out his two worst performances. It doesn't work like that. The TD:INT ratio tells me a lot without ever seeing anything but his hudl.

Any chance the Gophers could lure Malik Zaire away from Notre Dame. He is leaving as a graduate transfer. We have never had that type of dynamic athlete play QB for the Gophers that can extend the play and beat people with escaping the pass rush. A guy can dream about having a Russel Wilson type end up playing for the Gophers.

We don't need Michael Vick. He reminds me of McSorley in that he's quick enough to escape the pocket. Nobody knows if any of these guys can handle the jump up in pressure and the pre and post reads vs P5 competition. If Johnson feels we need another guy to compete then this guy looks like a good piece of the puzzle. Green shouldn't be afraid of a little competition.

Better than a 50 percent guy.

His stats:
59.3% 32 TDs 8 INTS
3041 yards
9.01 YPA
330 yards rushing

If its up to me he's a take, but it's not.

Two blow-out wins account for more than 1/3 of his TDs and completion percentages well above of his norm.

And what is he if you take out his two worst performances. It doesn't work like that. The TD:INT ratio tells me a lot without ever seeing anything but his hudl.

When the delta is that glaring, yes it does work like that.

Can you produce a game log for Green in HS. His stats were less than eye-popping in MN.

If he has the physical tools, makes good decisions, but plays on a bad team or a team with poor WRs then that all needs to be factored in.

I just think it's way too soon to write somebody off because they had two subpar completion percentages in JUCO. He had 4 TDs to 2 ints in those games. Not exactly Mitch vs Wisky career stats.

And how did you decipher that outta "he's a solidly built guy with some height" ? Green is 6-4 235, and Croft is 6-5 200 ... I'm aware of that. Just saying at 6-3 200 he's not ideal size but he's also not fragile looking and short. It's not a big enough detriment not to pursue him. So pretty much the opposite of your interpretation.

Only averaged 2.8 YPC. I'm still on board, though. More competition the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is how I feel about it. We've got scholarships and are losing 2 QB's this year...bring 'em in.

That said, I wasn't wowed when I watched his highlight tape a couple weeks ago. Didn't look all that fast or elusive to me. Demry Croft size, rather than Green. Arm looked average. Was constantly throwing to wide open receivers off play-action, rather than to windows he'd see in D1. Weird throwing angle and motion. Coach Johnson will obviously know if he's worth a schollie...and we'll find out soon.

Hudl video.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/3086490/5805ae66f61708504c65467d' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why doesn't this JC kid have better offers?

It's a little different world for JuCo QBs because of the grad transfer. The top programs who need a QB often end up grabbing a grad transfer. Additionally, I don't think he's thought of as blue chip by any measure. Most programs have much better options for returning QBs than we do and JuCo QBs are really not worth a scholarship if they don't have a legitimate shot of starting. Lastly, JuCo's get recruited later in the season (often).

You better put some context on that. He threw for 75% against Air Force Prep, a program that has only freshman, and Arkansas Baptist, a 3-7 team with losses by the score of 62-8, 63-18, and 74-6 (2 of their wins were over prep schools). Against the rest of the schedule, he threw for 55%.

Better than a 50 percent guy.

His stats:
59.3% 32 TDs 8 INTS
3041 yards
9.01 YPA
330 yards rushing

If its up to me he's a take, but it's not.

You better put some context on that. He threw for 75% against Air Force Prep, a program that has only freshman, and Arkansas Baptist, a 3-7 team with losses by the score of 62-8, 63-18, and 74-6 (2 of their wins were over prep schools). Against the rest of the schedule, he threw for 55%.

And he lit them up like he was supposed to. What's your point? His team was 5-4 and underclass men, so hardly a juggernaut. He wasn't playing for a powerhouse team like Seth Green was in Texas, and his stats still weren't that impressive vs overmatched competition. Rolling over patsies is what good QBs do, good RBs, and on down the line. We rolled up big stats this year in pts/game, sacks, turnovers in large part by playing lightweights and several backup/rookie QBs.

So what is your guys problem with this guy?

When the delta is that glaring, yes it does work like that.

Could probably argue this one round and round when none of us have seen him play. Were his stats great those games because the opponents were terrible or did his team blow those opponents out because he played so well in those games (and therefore had great stats). We're really just guessing regarding stats none of us have seen.

Context can go both ways. How many of his passes were dropped? How many routes were ran the wrong way? How many of his passes are down field vs. short, easy throws to pad his percentage?

I'm not advocating for the guy. But just saying...

Two blow-out wins account for more than 1/3 of his TDs and completion percentages well above of his norm.

Sounds like a Kill/Claeys QB recruit. If he gets offered as TE by some MAC schools, then we absolutely need to sign him.

Context can go both ways. How many of his passes were dropped? How many routes were ran the wrong way? How many of his passes are down field vs. short, easy throws to pad his percentage?

I'm not advocating for the guy. But just saying...

When you're trying to extract how well a guy will play against D1, upper-tier competition, you absolutely can be skeptical about a few games against teams that may lose by 60 to Indiana State, who gave up 4 TDs to Mitch.

Yes, he's playing with lesser talent on his side than he will if he bumps up a level, but I'm concerned if he's around 50% against decent JC competition.

Top Bottom