STrib: Good idea? Suspend coach for team's targeting penalties

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sinker:

In Wednesday's Star Tribune, Claeys said he isn't concerned about the penalties: “We practice the way you’re supposed to practice and lower the target down.. And anytime you have a game and everything’s full speed and happening fast, that can happen. And when it does, you call it and you get punished. But no, I don’t worry about that.”

Count Chicago Tribune college football writer Teddy Greenstein among those who is worried. He wrote this week: "All around college football, we see safeties pulling up rather than delivering the kind of concussion-causing blows that threaten to wreck lives — and the game as a whole. What is Minnesota teaching its players? This is a black mark on what has otherwise been an excellent coaching job by Claeys."

And Greenstein added this suggestion: "Suspend the head coach for a game once his team reaches five targeting penalties."

Your thoughts?

http://www.startribune.com/chicago-writer-suspend-coach-for-team-s-targeting-penalties/402684265/

Go Gophers!!

per Sinker:

In Wednesday's Star Tribune, Claeys said he isn't concerned about the penalties: “We practice the way you’re supposed to practice and lower the target down.. And anytime you have a game and everything’s full speed and happening fast, that can happen. And when it does, you call it and you get punished. But no, I don’t worry about that.”

Count Chicago Tribune college football writer Teddy Greenstein among those who is worried. He wrote this week: "All around college football, we see safeties pulling up rather than delivering the kind of concussion-causing blows that threaten to wreck lives — and the game as a whole. What is Minnesota teaching its players? This is a black mark on what has otherwise been an excellent coaching job by Claeys."

And Greenstein added this suggestion: "Suspend the head coach for a game once his team reaches five targeting penalties."

Your thoughts?

http://www.startribune.com/chicago-writer-suspend-coach-for-team-s-targeting-penalties/402684265/

Go Gophers!!

Sorry. Sour grapes. The way these penalties have been called, suggesting this is idiotic. As it's implying the coach is condoning or encouraging the team to target the opposing team. Based on what I've seen with the MN games this year, it would be crazy to more aggressively enforce this rule vs. finding a way to implement a more lenient application of the punishment.

When the league office has publicly admitted that they've called this incorrectly, maybe it's not time to put the screws to programs just yet.

Most of the targetting calls have been things that happen when the game is played at D1 speed. I have not seen Gophers headhunting. Now if a coach is purposefully instructing his players to injure opponents that's another matter (Sean Payton / his staff). I have heard of no evidence that from the Gophers.

My take is that Teddy Greenstein hasn't bothered to watch the video of each play in question.

The whole rule is stupid. You would prevent half of them if the QB wasn't allowed to slide.

Stupid. Many think the penalty is too harsh to begin with. So many of these are extremely questionable.

Top Bottom