Coach Tracy Claeys says Gophers defense needs to hold Badgers to about 14 points

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Tracy Claeys sees a way the Gophers can upset No. 5 Wisconsin on Saturday and reclaim Paul Bunyan’s Axe for the first time since 2003. But it involves a Bunyanesque task for Minnesota’s defense.

“My first impression is, yeah, you’re going to have to keep it around 14 points in order to have an opportunity to win,” Claeys said.

With one of the nation’s most stifling defenses, the Badgers have played a handful of low-scoring games. They defeated LSU (16-14), Iowa (17-9), Nebraska (23-17 in overtime) and Northwestern (21-7), and lost to Michigan (14-7). Their other loss was a 30-23, overtime slugfest at Ohio State.

The Gophers are two-touchdown underdogs heading to Madison, a place where they haven’t won since 1994. Crazy as it sounds, Minnesota might be better positioned to win than last year, when the Badgers were just 2½-point favorites but still prevailed 31-21 at TCF Bank Stadium.

http://www.startribune.com/coach-tr...to-hold-badgers-to-about-14-points/402789806/

Go Gophers!!

To win, we'll need Mitch to play one of his best career games. And I don't mean 300+ and 4td's but to make 4-5 big throws when we really need it and to not turn it over. If that happens, we may all be real happy on Saturday and about 630

If we hold them to 14 and still lose, I will demand TC be fired for saying this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup. I'm thinking we'll have to keep them under 20.

Wisconsin has the 4th best offense this year at 61st in country by S&P. By comparison Nebby is 50th, and NW 68th. Obviously our best shot at the upset is to play out of our minds on defense as we did this past week, and take some great shots down the field. I've already reviewed the deception plays I'd like to see in the other thread. We play like **** vs mobile QBs, while we will have a chance vs a guy like Hornibrook. We'll need a few "bullets" to make this happen. Great D. No turnovers. No ****ING KICKING IT OUT OF BOUNDS. Good Mitch better find his ****ing helmet.

One other thing - if Sawvel isn't ready for the jet sweep that WILL HAPPEN I'm going to throw my shoe through the TV. Also, the screen pass. For the love of god, it's going to happen. Be ready.

One other thing - if Sawvel isn't ready for the jet sweep that WILL HAPPEN I'm going to throw my shoe through the TV. Also, the screen pass. For the love of god, it's going to happen. Be ready.

Yes, and it seems that we blitz when they throw screen passes for big gainers. They have picked up on our tendencies, I hope that Sawvel predicts some of theirs. Go Gophers!

If we hold them to 14. How do we get to 14? Mitch is terrible and the skunks have no problem stopping the run. They have only given up more than 14 five times this year. I think purdon't got a garbage tb to get to 20

Yeah, Clement and Shaw are both good backs but the guy that worries me more then them is #23. I have watched a few of their games and they always seem to find ways to dump a screen to him or get the ball to him in space and this kid is deadly in that situation.

We tend to need to send the LB's in order to get pressure, I would be real hesitant to do that when #23 is on the field.

If we hold them to 14. How do we get to 14? Mitch is terrible and the skunks have no problem stopping the run. They have only given up more than 14 five times this year. I think purdon't got a garbage tb to get to 20

5 times out of 11 games. 45% of the time? Then let's take them up to 50% of the time and hang 20 + on them.

Yeah, Clement and Shaw are both good backs but the guy that worries me more then them is #23. I have watched a few of their games and they always seem to find ways to dump a screen to him or get the ball to him in space and this kid is deadly in that situation.

We tend to need to send the LB's in order to get pressure, I would be real hesitant to do that when #23 is on the field.

They have multiple guys running it. WR Jazz Peavy #11 has 180 yards running the sweep for almost 13 yards a pop.

Jazz Peavy JR WR 14 180 12.86

5 times out of 11 games. 45% of the time? Then let's take them up to 50% of the time and hang 20 + on them.

Sounds good....Ohio State put up 23 on them, only other team to get to 20 was Purudue who got 7 on a 75 yard TD pass and the other TD came in garbage time against the backups when the game was well out of reach. Claeys is spot on when he says we need to keep them to around 14 points because their defense has been great all year and they have played a really tough schedule so it isn't being done by dominating bad teams.

Football can be flukey with turnovers and other things like that but if we aren't aided by short fields and turnovers it is foolish to think our offense will be able to hang very many points on them because they have held up well on D against offenses that are far more dynamic than ours.

We can win this game but it is going to take another awesome defensive effort like the one against Northwestern and the offense is going to have to capitalize on every opportunity they get over the course of the game. If we get down early we are toast because their D is just too good but if we keep it close and turn it into a defensive battle anything can happen.

My thought is that to get 20+ on the Badgers there has to be a special teams or defensive score.

Sounds good....Ohio State put up 23 on them, only other team to get to 20 was Purudue who got 7 on a 75 yard TD pass and the other TD came in garbage time against the backups when the game was well out of reach. Claeys is spot on when he says we need to keep them to around 14 points because their defense has been great all year and they have played a really tough schedule so it isn't being done by dominating bad teams.

Football can be flukey with turnovers and other things like that but if we aren't aided by short fields and turnovers it is foolish to think our offense will be able to hang very many points on them because they have held up well on D against offenses that are far more dynamic than ours.

We can win this game but it is going to take another awesome defensive effort like the one against Northwestern and the offense is going to have to capitalize on every opportunity they get over the course of the game. If we get down early we are toast because their D is just too good but if we keep it close and turn it into a defensive battle anything can happen.

All true. The Gophers have only been held under 29 points twice. Iowa, an abysmal performance by the Offense, and Nebraska. Gonna set aside any "ya buts" 'cuz it's Thanksgiving so let's just "get 'er done"!

And Happy Thanksgiving to you and your's too.

I hope when the Dukester comes back in the second half he puts a legal hit on that piss ant Peavy and puts him up in the cheap seats.

I hope when the Dukester comes back in the second half he puts a legal hit on that piss ant Peavy and puts him up in the cheap seats.
Wow. No wonder you have had issues when you go to Wisconsin to watch a football game. Nothing like name calling and cheering for injuries.

Wow. No wonder you have had issues when you go to Wisconsin to watch a football game. Nothing like name calling and cheering for injuries.

Maybe he can make that part of his Thanksgiving blessing...something like, "

I'm thankful for my new granddaughter who is a blessing and a miraculous ray of sunshine in our life -- and that bstrd-Peay-kid, gonna knock his lights out on Saturday(within the limits of the rules, of course)! May the Lord bless this food but if you bring cheese to this table, you know I'll cut you. In Jesus' name, Amen!"

I said a legal hit. I didn't say I want the little piss ant injured.

Maybe he can make that part of his Thanksgiving blessing...something like, "

I'm thankful for my new granddaughter who is a blessing and a miraculous ray of sunshine in our life -- and that bstrd-Peay-kid, gonna knock his lights out on Saturday(within the limits of the rules, of course)! May the Lord bless this food but if you bring cheese to this table, you know I'll cut you. In Jesus' name, Amen!"
:cool02:
Good benediction. If it was a all guy table. And. I would probably add : " In the name of the father,son and holy ghost, Fu-k Becky"......

It's still cheering for an injury. Why is the kid a piss ant?

I think it's similar to a pissant.

The next post Ruppie makes that doesn't have a grammar/spelling/syntax mistake will be his first.

i am expecting Claeys to pull out all the stops-- if he thinks points are at a premium I better not see us punting from the WI 40 on 4th and 1 and maybe if we score we should go for two. I do not want us to be playing to keep the game close. I truly think Claeys is coaching to keep his job

Ahoy-hoy fellow champion-caliber foot ball fans,

Now that my mighty Tigers have wrapped up yet another championship season (huzzah!), I thought I would stop by to see how the little people of the world have fared. Imagine my surprise to see that you still have a game to play. I assumed surely that it was a make-up game due to a previously scheduled game being postponed due to a plague of locusts or some other crop-specific tragedy that seems to commonly befall folks in the hinterlands. Imagine my surprise that your so-called "conference" normally schedules games after Thanksgiving. I know it may not be my place to say, but how vulgar. Then again, I saw that you team wore white pants at home last week, some eleven weeks past Labor Day. Does your teams' tailor not own a calendar?

What is the outlook for a championship this season? I noticed that your team is currently 8-3, but I remember a previous championship season with multiple losses, so I am curious if a title is still potentially on the table. I have also been made aware that you are playing for the honor of possessing an axe for the next 12 months. I knew the depravations of midwestern living were real and severe, but one would think that in these modern times each state could afford their own axe. As you have not had an axe at your disposal for a dozen years, how have you managed to clear your fields for the plowing and sowing and reaping and such? (This is a rhetorical question, please don't assume I am actually interested in the goings-on in your godforsaken backwards state).

Anyhoo, best of luck in your sporting endeavors this weekend. Please don't hesitate to drop a line to my secretary if something on note should occur. In the unlikely event that he deems it worthy of my attention, I'll be back to offer my hearty felicitations and commendation on yet another championship season.

Cheers,
Archie

Ahoy-hoy fellow champion-caliber foot ball fans,

Now that my mighty Tigers have wrapped up yet another championship season (huzzah!), I thought I would stop by to see how the little people of the world have fared. Imagine my surprise to see that you still have a game to play. I assumed surely that it was a make-up game due to a previously scheduled game being postponed due to a plague of locusts or some other crop-specific tragedy that seems to commonly befall folks in the hinterlands. Imagine my surprise that your so-called "conference" normally schedules games after Thanksgiving. I know it may not be my place to say, but how vulgar. Then again, I saw that you team wore white pants at home last week, some eleven weeks past Labor Day. Does your teams' tailor not own a calendar?

What is the outlook for a championship this season? I noticed that your team is currently 8-3, but I remember a previous championship season with multiple losses, so I am curious if a title is still potentially on the table. I have also been made aware that you are playing for the honor of possessing an axe for the next 12 months. I knew the depravations of midwestern living were real and severe, but one would think that in these modern times each state could afford their own axe. As you have not had an axe at your disposal for a dozen years, how have you managed to clear your fields for the plowing and sowing and reaping and such? (This is a rhetorical question, please don't assume I am actually interested in the goings-on in your godforsaken backwards state).

Anyhoo, best of luck in your sporting endeavors this weekend. Please don't hesitate to drop a line to my secretary if something on note should occur. In the unlikely event that he deems it worthy of my attention, I'll be back to offer my hearty felicitations and commendation on yet another championship season.

Cheers,
Archie

Archie, I always appreciate you taking the time to stoop down to our level and share your precious time with us simpletons. It looks like you had yourself a fine football season this year, though the loss to mighty Lehigh probably stung, albeit not as much as yet another loss to Harvard and yet another reminder that your fine school is the kid brother to the more academically prestigious men of Harvard.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom