Two Big Ten Teams in the Playoff?

I do not understand how any team can get into the playoffs when not winning their conference let alone their division. It makes no sense to me. The playoffs should be the 4 best conference champions.

Why? This isn't the NFL. Not all conferences are created equal. Some conferences were created over 100 years ago and the college football playoff's goal is to select the 4 best teams in the country regardless of conference.

Spot on except I can't see them not putting an 11-1 OSU in the playoff after beating #3 team in nation in the last week of the regular season. Clemson and Wash need to win out to stay in the conversation. Both have serious SoS challenges.

That win over OSU is huge. Head to Head. It will cost them the Big 10 East, and a chance at the Big 10 Title. The Big 10 Conference Champion is your candidate.

The Pac 12 is not over by a long shot. If Washington wins the Apple Cup. They will play either Colorado or USC. We have seen USC v Washigton. USC as a three loss team and as a conference Champion is a fly in the ointment. They are on fire right now.

Why? This isn't the NFL. Not all conferences are created equal. Some conferences were created over 100 years ago and the college football playoff's goal is to select the 4 best teams in the country regardless of conference.

I think this is what hurts College football. People struggle to relate to the eye test and committee over winning your conference. Everyone knows that the best teams are in the P5. If winners of these conferences are left out, the system has a perception problem.

Either create 4 power conferences or add 1-2 teams to equation, with automatic bids to power conference champions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If mass chaos ensues, Big Ten could get 3 in. Would probably need to involve a very close Ohio state Michigan game that Ohio state wins and Penn State or Wisconsin being Big Ten champion.

Then Colorado wins the PAC 12 and boom. Miichigan back in the discussion

If mass chaos ensues, Big Ten could get 3 in. Would probably need to involve a very close Ohio state Michigan game that Ohio state wins and Penn State or Wisconsin being Big Ten champion.

If that were to happen, we would probably go to the rose bowl, assuming the scenario involves 2 more Wisconsin losses and a Nebraska loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Washington St being Pac12 champs would accomplish the same thing.

Even if the chips fell about perfect for that scenario, there's about 0 in a trillion chance the committee selects 3 of 4 teams from the same conference.

Your logic doesn't make sense. If PSU wins oout, they are in.

correct, I did not explain it very well...must have had a few summy's in me...my disdain for pedo st. is greater than Wisconsin...I really don't think psu can beat wi if they get in the b1g cg.

The logic here is really lacking. If the winner of the PAC -12 or Big 12 can't get in because of a "poor" résumé and (Ohio State will get in b/c, Ohio State) why would PSU be a lock for the playoff? Because they beat OSU? But doesn't that indict OSU?

I fail to understand why a mediocre PSU would be a lock, but a Washington team that lost to a very good USC team would not be (assuming they defeat the Pirate today).

The logic here is really lacking. If the winner of the PAC -12 or Big 12 can't get in because of a "poor" résumé and (Ohio State will get in b/c, Ohio State) why would PSU be a lock for the playoff? Because they beat OSU? But doesn't that indict OSU?

I fail to understand why a mediocre PSU would be a lock, but a Washington team that lost to a very good USC team would not be (assuming they defeat the Pirate today).

Talking about comparative resumes.

Washington's resume would be worse than Colorado's if Colorado wins the conference. And Colorado is worse than Michigan as evidenced by their game.

The best argument for multiple teams from the same conference is because the second team from that conference already beat the conference champ from one of the other major conferences.

I do not understand how any team can get into the playoffs when not winning their conference let alone their division. It makes no sense to me. The playoffs should be the 4 best conference champions.

It's a nice thought but not reality. A 3 loss conference champion is impressive to no one and all strength of conferences are not alike.

Michigan State will beat Penn State tomorrow. PSU is so over rated.

The Big Ten will need help getting two teams into the playoff. Alabama is a virtual lock. The winner of OSU/Michigan is likely a lock with the other dropping out. Clemson and Washington winning their conference championships will likely solidify them as the other two. I think that would make the choices pretty easy. However....either of those two lose their championship game....and things will get interesting.

Yes, if you cannot win your f###ing conference you do not deserve to be in a playoff. Win it and you can go, pretty simple. I cannot think of any other team sport that the winners of divisions or wild card teams cannot get into their playoffs and the teams behind them can. fraudulent system.

A one-loss OSU is absolutely better than either of those. Clemson has beaten no one of significance. ACC is weak.

That win over OSU is huge. Head to Head. It will cost them the Big 10 East, and a chance at the Big 10 Title. The Big 10 Conference Champion is your candidate.

The Pac 12 is not over by a long shot. If Washington wins the Apple Cup. They will play either Colorado or USC. We have seen USC v Washigton. USC as a three loss team and as a conference Champion is a fly in the ointment. They are on fire right now.

OSU's loss actually is looking A LOT better.

If you assume Gophs pull off the upset, then maybe, but if not, PSU will have beaten two top ten teams while winning the B1G Championship. That is a play-off team.

The Big Ten will need help getting two teams into the playoff. Alabama is a virtual lock. The winner of OSU/Michigan is likely a lock with the other dropping out. Clemson and Washington winning their conference championships will likely solidify them as the other two. I think that would make the choices pretty easy. However....either of those two lose their championship game....and things will get interesting.

Have you read the thread? I stated early on that Wash and Clemson have to win out to stay in the mix. If either or both don't, absolutely the B1G has a a good chance getting two teams in the playoff.

If you assume Gophs pull off the upset, then maybe, but if not, PSU will have beaten two top ten teams while winning the B1G Championship. That is a play-off team.

What has Wisconsin done to be ranked #6? I don't get it. Style points for moral defeats? What about their Pyrrhic victory over a little sister early on?

Their victories over LSU, MSU, Nebby, NW look a whole lot less impressive in hindsight. Yet Washington is being dinged because their competition is down...

Picking winners based on flawed polls is bizarre, IMO.

What has Wisconsin done to be ranked #6? I don't get it. Style points for moral defeats? What about their Pyrrhic victory over a little sister early on?

Their victories over LSU, MSU, Nebby, NW look a whole lot less impressive in hindsight. Yet Washington is being dinged because their competition is down...

Do you think anyone is good in college football? Name 6 teams with a better resume than Wisconsin. Your take on the playoff is bizarre. You were the one that said you'd put a 3 loss USC team in over a 1 loss OSU team right?

Do you think anyone is good in college football? Name 6 teams with a better resume than Wisconsin. Your take on the playoff is bizarre. You were the one that said you'd put a 3 loss USC team in over a 1 loss OSU team right?

No, I wouldn't because they a) have dropped three games. B) may not win the PAC-12.

What I said is that I wouldn't be surprised if USC could take down OSU right now. They are playing at a very high level due to a combination of finding a playmaker QB and development on defense.

Has Wisconsin beaten a good team this year? USC has. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a 59-donut on the Drunks.

When are the polls not flawed?

Based on your opinion, who really has Alabama beaten? If you call into question WI and PSU, then I guess you call into question MI and OSU...and basically the entire B1G. Compared to the other conferences and their competitiveness coupled with non-con, the rankings are pretty spot on, IMO. B1G is the best conference this year.

When are the polls not flawed?

Based on your opinion, who really has Alabama beaten? If you call into question WI and PSU, then I guess you call into question MI and OSU...and basically the entire B1G. Compared to the other conferences and their competitiveness coupled with non-con, the rankings are pretty spot on, IMO. B1G is the best conference this year.

They beat USC, they have run the table in the SEC, down or not.

Yep, I am questioning the entire Big Ten.

Your opinion on polls being correct means nothing to me. What is Wisconsins's best win? Nebraska? Iowa?

Number 5? Are you ****ing kidding me?

No, I wouldn't because they a) have dropped three games. B) may not win the PAC-12.

What I said is that I wouldn't be surprised if USC could take down OSU right now. They are playing at a very high level due to a combination of finding a playmaker QB and development on defense.

Has Wisconsin beaten a good team this year? USC has. I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped a 59-donut on the Drunks.

Everybody said that about Louisville a couple weeks ago...hottest team. Had my SEC buddy try to argue they should have been above Clemson...even though they lost to Clemson b/c they were the "hot" team.

As a football fan, I strongly believe if you can't win your bracket/conference, you don't get to be leapfrogged over a winner into the Final Four by a group of athletic directors. Shades of 1973.

It's wrong. It's unsportsmanlike. Don't like it? Expand the playoff.

They beat USC, they have run the table in the SEC, down or not.

Yep, I am questioning the entire Big Ten.

Your opinion on polls being correct means nothing to me. What is Wisconsins's best win? Nebraska? Iowa?

Number 5? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Wow, OK, neither does yours...you are the one not making a lot of sense here. What conference is better than B1G this year?

As a football fan, I strongly believe if you can't win your bracket/conference, you don't get to be leapfrogged over a winner into the Final Four by a group of athletic directors. Shades of 1973.

It's wrong. It's unsportsmanlike. Don't like it? Expand the playoff.

Well, it's four teams, and that is a distinct possibility.

Everybody said that about Louisville a couple weeks ago...hottest team. Had my SEC buddy try to argue they should have been above Clemson...even though they lost to Clemson b/c they were the "hot" team.

Which is why polls should not be us to select champions. Sample sizes are too small to draw definitive conclusions. Recency effect. Human bias. Again, WTF is Wisconsin doing at #5?

Settle it on the field.

Wow, OK, neither does yours...you are the one not making a lot of sense here. What conference is better than B1G this year?

Why do I care which conference is "better". How can this be known when most of the non-con games are played early on?

Maybe, maybe some more conclusions can be drawn after bowl season but again the sample size is small.

The national champion of a legit playoff is really all that matters, on the national level.

Why do I care which conference is "better". How can this be known when most of the non-con games are played early on?

Maybe, maybe some more conclusions can be drawn after bowl season but again the sample size is small.

The national champion of a legit playoff is really all that matters, on the national level.

You make no sense. Please give me your top 6 or 8 teams. You basically are saying everyone is bad and not providing any teams.

And yes, you did say you'd put USC in over OSU but have since changed that to saying you think USC would win right now. Why even play the regular season? Let's just make it a huge playoff from game 1. That seems to be what you would like to say.

You make no sense. Please give me your top 6 or 8 teams. You basically are saying everyone is bad and not providing any teams.

And yes, you did say you'd put USC in over OSU but have since changed that to saying you think USC would win right now. Why even play the regular season? Let's just make it a huge playoff from game 1. That seems to be what you would like to say.

You're not following me. Read the following words carefully: nobody (including me) knows for sure who the best teams are. I've been advocating a tourney of conference champions. Don't like that OSU gets left out of a playoff because they choked vs PSU? Get rid of the arbitrary east/west divisions. Then OSU can be the champion. Too bad. That's life. Don't choke.

Do you understand?

Top Bottom