Two Big Ten Teams in the Playoff?

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
It looks like the Big Ten could be rewarded with two Big Ten teams in the playoff.

If OSU beats Michigan and Penn State wins, Penn State would advance to the playoff game.
Then if WI wins out, beating Penn State, you would have a three way log jam with OSU likely in, then WI (or PSU if they happen to win) meanwhile, MI isn't hanging out to far away with a close loss to OSU.

That would mean more possible revenue for each Big Ten Team, so that's a good thing.

It looks like the Big Ten could be rewarded with two Big Ten teams in the playoff.

If OSU beats Michigan and Penn State wins, Penn State would advance to the playoff game.
Then if WI wins out, beating Penn State, you would have a three way log jam with OSU likely in, then WI (or PSU if they happen to win) meanwhile, MI isn't hanging out to far away with a close loss to OSU.

That would mean more possible revenue for each Big Ten Team, so that's a good thing.

If PSU and OSU win this weekend, I can't imagine the committee keeping either OSU or the winner of the BT Championship game out of the playoff.

Good for the Big Ten but bad for football. I'd rather see different teams, as a fan.

Good for the Big Ten but bad for football. I'd rather see different teams, as a fan.

Yeah, well if "if's were fifths, we'd all be drunk and have a very Happy Thanksgiving".

Not sure if that really applies. But from a Big Ten perspective there is a bit of a silver lining to getting beat by Wiscy this weekend. I don't want us to get beat, but at times we need to be realistic that we play football now for three-four years without a QB.

There are a number of scenarios that I can see 2 Big Ten teams entering the playoff. It all depends on if the committee requires a conference title to make it. Up until now, they have.

There is a simple solution to help prevent two Big 10 teams from being in the playoff. Gophers beat the Badgers on Saturday 11/26/16 and all of these entanglements are avoided:cool: Gophers as Party crashers!
Wisconsin still with zero National Championships, and the Gophers send Tommy Armstrong and the Nebraska Cornhuskers to Indianapolis. Everyone is happy, well except Skunk fans.

Would be a negative for the Big 10 if they both lose, which is certainly possible the way OSU is playing lately, and Wisconsin would get smoked by Alabama.

Yeah, well if "if's were fifths, we'd all be drunk and have a very Happy Thanksgiving".

Not sure if that really applies. But from a Big Ten perspective there is a bit of a silver lining to getting beat by Wiscy this weekend. I don't want us to get beat, but at times we need to be realistic that we play football now for three-four years without a QB.

Again, compare Mitch to the QB performance of Wisconsin over that same stretch. You really can't say they're pass offense performed any better.

If OSU wins, Michigan is gone. If PSU wins, they have a chance. With OSU on the outside. If PSU wins the Big 10 Title Game they are in. Their strength of schedule, and potential wins over OSU and Wisconsin. Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, and probably Washington.

Anyone know who wins the west if the Gophers find a way to win and Iowa beats Nebraska? Would be a 4 way tie. I know the Gophers would be out of it.

Anyone know who wins the west if the Gophers find a way to win and Iowa beats Nebraska? Would be a 4 way tie. I know the Gophers would be out of it.

Wisconsin due to tiebreakers. 2-1 record vs. the other 3 and then the head to head over Iowa.

Pretty sure it's Wisconsin in that situation. I believe the 1st tie-breaker is record among the group - Wisc & Iowa would be 2-1, Neb & MN 1-2. Then between Wisc & Iowa, it's head-to-head, which Wisc won. But I didn't look that up, so I could be wrong.

To get 2 teams in the playoff, there is a pretty simple script:
Wisc beats MN this weekend
OSU beats Mich this week
PSU wins this week
If that happens, likely OSU & the PSU-Wisc winner go to the playoff.

The least likely of those 3 is OSU winning. If Michigan wins instead, then the Mich-Wisc winner would then almost certainly be in the playoff. PSU possibly could squeak into the playoff as the 2nd B1G team, but that would likely take some other key top teams losing. It's also theoretically possible OSU could squeak in as a 2nd B1G team in that scenario, but I'd think it'd take even more stuff going on.

Agreed. 4 winners of P5 is the ideal. Extra money for our athletic budget does make it more palatable. But the year they put 3 SEC teams in, I'm going to vomit.

If OSU wins, Michigan is gone. If PSU wins, they have a chance. With OSU on the outside. If PSU wins the Big 10 Title Game they are in. Their strength of schedule, and potential wins over OSU and Wisconsin. Alabama, Clemson, Penn State, and probably Washington.

Spot on except I can't see them not putting an 11-1 OSU in the playoff after beating #3 team in nation in the last week of the regular season. Clemson and Wash need to win out to stay in the conversation. Both have serious SoS challenges.

I do not understand how any team can get into the playoffs when not winning their conference let alone their division. It makes no sense to me. The playoffs should be the 4 best conference champions.

Agreed. 4 winners of P5 is the ideal. Extra money for our athletic budget does make it more palatable. But the year they put 3 SEC teams in, I'm going to vomit.

This is spot on. Put the shoe on the other foot. Would you be happy if two SEC or PAC-12 or ACC teams get in over a Big Ten team?

Nobody knows who the best teams are, especially a committee of athletic directors. Settle it on the field. Personally I won't want to see OSU play WI or PSU again. Shades of LSU Bama and nobody wants to see that.

I do not understand how any team can get into the playoffs when not winning their conference let alone their division. It makes no sense to me. The playoffs should be the 4 best conference champions.

What if Wash and Clemson lose in their championship games? You would put a two loss Colo or three loss VT in over a one loss OSU?

This is spot on. Put the shoe on the other foot. Would you be happy if two SEC or PAC-12 or ACC teams get in over a Big Ten team?

Nobody knows who the best teams are, especially a committee of athletic directors. Settle it on the field. Personally I won't want to see OSU play WI or PSU again. Shades of LSU Bama and nobody wants to see that.

Over a three loss Wisconsin? Wouldn't think twice about it.

There is a high bellyflop factor if the Big Ten gets two in and they both lose, particularly in humiliating fashion. Personally I don't think OSU is quite ready for Bama yet and Wisconsin doesn't have the horses on offense. Could be a bloodbath for the conference, PR-wise. Shades of 2006.

Living deep in SEC country, I will ALWAYS pull for the scenario that puts the most Big 10 teams on the biggest stages.

There is a high bellyflop factor if the Big Ten gets two in and they both lose, particularly in humiliating fashion. Personally I don't think OSU is quite ready for Bama yet and Wisconsin doesn't have the horses on offense. Could be a bloodbath for the conference, PR-wise. Shades of 2006.
But the money...

Let's be honest, Bama against anyone looks like a bloodbath. They are going to smoke Clemson again too. They are quite a bit better then the rest of the playoff teams.

tOSU is a lock if they win out 1 or 2 games.

Michigan must win 2 games

WI gets in as Big Ten Champ.

PSU needs help as Big Ten Champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tOSU is a lock if they win out 1 or 2 games.

Michigan must win 2 games

WI gets in as Big Ten Champ.

PSU needs help as Big Ten Champ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o$u has only one game left, and they get a huge advantage of not playing in the bcg--

I do think if sconny wins out---they are in--they can't overlook the gophs or psu, especially with their offense, but they are vastly improved, I do think they can hang with bama, the d is fricken good.

psu has to win out and still they do nothing for me..if they get in, it would be a joke, not sure why I think that, maybe because their uninforms are shiott-as ugly..always hated them

scum, they have to win at o$u--don't see that happening--if they do, they deserve to be in the playoff win or los the bcg.

I would love 2 teams from the big to make it...but they would have to be scony, scum or sconny o$u,

Washington will lose the apple cup...what a fricken stupid-as name...so I think , bama, o$u,clemson & sconny in that order...not looking forward to a bama, o$u matchup though..I would like to see sconny bama...

o$u has only one game left, and they get a huge advantage of not playing in the bcg--

I do think if sconny wins out---they are in--they can't overlook the gophs or psu, especially with their offense, but they are vastly improved, I do think they can hang with bama, the d is fricken good.

psu has to win out and still they do nothing for me..if they get in, it would be a joke, not sure why I think that, maybe because their uninforms are shiott-as ugly..always hated them

scum, they have to win at o$u--don't see that happening--if they do, they deserve to be in the playoff win or los the bcg.

I would love 2 teams from the big to make it...but they would have to be scony, scum or sconny o$u,

Washington will lose the apple cup...what a fricken stupid-as name...so I think , bama, o$u,clemson & sconny in that order...not looking forward to a bama, o$u matchup though..I would like to see sconny bama...

Your logic doesn't make sense. If PSU wins oout, they are in.

What if Wash and Clemson lose in their championship games? You would put a two loss Colo or three loss VT in over a one loss OSU?

Yes, if you cannot win your f###ing conference you do not deserve to be in a playoff. Win it and you can go, pretty simple. I cannot think of any other team sport that the winners of divisions or wild card teams cannot get into their playoffs and the teams behind them can. fraudulent system.

Yes, if you cannot win your f###ing conference you do not deserve to be in a playoff. Win it and you can go, pretty simple. I cannot think of any other team sport that the winners of divisions or wild card teams cannot get into their playoffs and the teams behind them can. fraudulent system.

I agree with this to some extent. But with non-conference schedules being at the discretion of the individual teams and unbalanced conference schedules, you could see why you could choose a non-conference champ over a conference champ. The schedules in college football don't have the balance that you get with other college or professional sports.

The fact that the big ten has wins against Oklahoma (Ohio state) and Colorado (Michigan) helps. Especially if those two win their conferences and neither michigan not Ohio state win the big ten.

Ohio state didn't win the big ten. But on the field they already have proven they're better than a power 5 champ.

This is all assuming things happen in a certain way.

I personally think the only way the big ten gets two is if Penn State or Wisconsin win the conference.

Top Bottom