James Johannesson

hungan1

Reaction score
With the Brooks & Smith Georgia Express carrying the rushing load for the Gophers, we've got good depth at RB.

Johannesson is a RS Fr, and we are loaded at RB. If he is patient, keeps a positive attitude, and continues to develop under the S&C program I think he'll be a gem for the Gophers before he graduates from college. He kind of reminds me of Mike Alstot of the Boilermakers.

The best players play. The fact that Johannesson doesn't even play special teams should indicate something to you. There are plenty of players that get 4 year degrees and never see the field. I hope he sees the field, but only if he's qualified, not to satisfy a couple of fans.

The best players play. The fact that Johannesson doesn't even play special teams should indicate something to you. There are plenty of players that get 4 year degrees and never see the field. I hope he sees the field, but only if he's qualified, not to satisfy a couple of fans.

No one on this thread was hoping that he would play just to satisfy them.

I think it's pretty obvious that they were saying that they saw something in him, so they hope he doesn't transfer because and EARNS playing time.

I don't think anyone wants him to get playing time if he isn't one of the best.

You really have a talent of twisting the most innocuous of posts.

We get it. The best players play and the coaches decide who the best players are. There is nothing in this thread that even remotely challenges this idea.

I was thinking more Rex Burkhead & Toby Gerhardt.... :D

Student of the game, really gritty, tough as nails type kid. Bit limited but at the same time, deceptively athletic. Lunch pail guy, very scrappy, high motor, incredible gamer. High football IQ, and definitely plays the game the right way.

Kid gets the most out of his abilities, is a gym rat, and a real scrapper. He will out grind and outwork you all day long. Has a lot of heart, and is someone you'd love your daughter to date.

Highway... sheesh... thanks for the cutting edge insight.

My good friend DNA says, "Nice try kid, ever played linebacker?"

Why does everyone lump all white running backs together? Lol. Johansen is about average sized for a running back. Mike Alstot was friggin huge! Johansen seemed to have some slash to his game. Mike Alstot would run your ass over & dare you to stop him. So in my humble opinion, I'd say it's better to look at skill sets & not melatonin levels, when comparing players.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If he deserves to play, he'll play. At the same point in his career, David Cobb was a guy in a jersey. He was an after-thought - assuming that anyone even thought about him. then, something clicked, and Cobb went on to have a couple of the best seasons ever for a Gopher RB.

Point being that not everyone follows the same career arc. Some players are late bloomers - some never bloom. Only time will tell. RB's are like QB's - given a choice, you would much rather have too many good RB's (or QB's) as opposed to not having enough.

If he deserves to play, he'll play. At the same point in his career, David Cobb was a guy in a jersey. He was an after-thought - assuming that anyone even thought about him. then, something clicked, and Cobb went on to have a couple of the best seasons ever for a Gopher RB.

Point being that not everyone follows the same career arc. Some players are late bloomers - some never bloom. Only time will tell. RB's are like QB's - given a choice, you would much rather have too many good RB's (or QB's) as opposed to not having enough.

Point taken but as others have pointed out you probably can't compare Johannesson to Cobb because they are such different players :)

In all seriousness though your development take is spot on. Some guys make the transition right away, some take a few years and many never really get there. This staff has shown no hesitancy to play young guys so if he proves his value to the team they will no doubt get him out there on the field.

Why does everyone lump all white running backs together? Lol. Johansen is about average sized for a running back. Mike Alstot was friggin huge! Johansen seemed to have some slash to his game. Mike Alstot would run your ass over & dare you to stop him. So in my humble opinion, I'd say it's better to look at skill sets & not melatonin levels, when comparing players.

That was kind of the joke....

Not that it matters, but Johannesson certainly has the size to play FB (and is somewhat similar to Alstott).

Alstott was 6'1" 248 lbs when he played in the NFL
Johannesson is 6'1" 230 lbs, he could certainly put on 10-15 lbs (especially if he was oK with losing some speed). Alstott isn't actually the worst example because Alstott was a HB trapped in a FBs body. He was never much of a blocker.

Mike Henry was 6'1" 235
John Hoese was 6'2" 233

So Johannesson certainly has the size to play FB. It just isn't what he does well. He is a natural runner. I thought I heard that his struggles in protection were one of the reasons he hasn't been playing (I could be making that up, but it's Gopherhole, so I will stand by it as fact until Dpo proves me wrong, then I'll say something bitter towards him for having the audacity to correct my mistake).

Now, I am not comparing Johannesson to Alstott. Alstott was a great. I was just pointing out that Johannesson is big enough to play FB and the comparisons to Alstott are much better than the comparisons to Burkhead (wasn't that the Fargo Flash who made that comparison?)

I agree. I was thinking more like John Riggins actually. :p

That was kind of the joke....
Palm slap to the forehead then. Lol. Text tends to make sarcasm/joking hard to catch. But an interesting social nuance, that we tend to subconsciously lump. Especially because it's fundamentally off base.

Ha! That would be melanin not melatonin (skin pigment related, not bio rhythm hormone related).

More of a wally szczerbiak. Am I doing this right?

We put on Husker radio in Lincoln after the Gophers Huskers game and one of the shows hosts was complaining about the Huskers not being able to cover WhiteAtarsky (Drew Wolitarsky). So dumb

You guys have it all wrong. I see a lot of Kevin McDougal of Colorado State and Indianapolis Cols fame in his game.

Melatonin levels...bravo! Lol next time... Google
Thank you, Captain Highwaybvious.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom