November Gopher History V

Nomellini

Reaction score
Thank you, Doc Gopher, for stimulating some interesting dialog regarding the 1962 Minnesota-Wisconsin game!

November 22, 1941
#1 Minnesota 41 Wisconsin 6
Gophers win 17th straight and wrap up their 6th Big 10 title in 10 years. In Bruce Smith's last game, he throws a touchdown pass to a wonderful back from Melrose, Minnesota. This man went 4-0 in Brown Jug games, 3-0 with the Gophers and 1-0 while playing for Michigan in 1943, a transfer brought about by his war assignment near Ann Arbor. Can you name him?

November 23, 1968
Minnesota 23 at Wisconsin 15
Badgers finish their 2nd straight winless season before 39,000 at Camp Randall. One Gopher score comes on a 41-yard pick-six by a defensive back from Jackson, Minnesota who would be a 4th round draft pick before going on to coach the Worthington High team for 33 years. Can you name him?

November 24, 1973
Minnesota 19 Wisconsin 17
Gophers go up for good at 19-10 in the 4th quarter on a 2-yard run from a freshman back from Ypsilanti, Michigan. He had sprinter speed and a world of talent but played just one season, falling victim to a form of polio. Can you name him?

November 25, 1967
Minnesota 21 Wisconsin 14
Gophers get to 8-2 and win a share of the Big 10 title but are denied a Rose Bowl bid when Purdue finds a way to lose to Indiana. Gophers get a scoring run from a senior back from Fridley. Can you name him?

November 26, 2011
Minnesota 27 Illinois 7
An 11-point underdog, Gophers pound a dispirited Illinois team on a raw, blustery day. A highly touted quarterback from Indianapolis bullies his way to 167 yards rushing for Minnesota. Unable to displace Adam Weber at quarterback, he spent a year at wide receiver then injuries prevented him from having the quarterback career we hoped he would enjoy. Can you name him?

November 27, 2010
Minnesota 27 #24 Iowa 24
Minnesota scores another stunning upset, after shocking Illinois in Champaign the week before. With the sun down on a bone-chilling evening, Iowa is driving toward a likely winning touchdown when a Gopher defensive back delivers a crunching blow at midfield on an Iowa back. The Gophers get the ensuing fumble and a field rush follows shortly. Can you name the tackler?
Brewster was out after the team imploded in mid-season. An assistant coach took over and immediately instilled discipline and spirit into the team, making possible the season's encouraging finish. Can you name him?

November 28, 1963
Minnesota 14 Wisconsin 0
Gophers rise up to put a satisfying end to a disappointing season on Thanksgiving Day, a delay necessitated by the JFK assassination on November 22. Carl Eller leads a 4-down goal-line stand from the 1-yard line to close the first half and later makes 3 straight tackles to foil another Badger drive inside the Gopher 10-yard line. Gophers get 2 short scoring plunges and 2 PAT from a junior fullback/linebacker from Wisconsin. Can you name him?

WELL, THAT'S IT FOR NOVEMBER. THANK YOU FOR VIEWING AND RESPONDING!

Leo: Some quick answers:
1. Bill Daleiy
2. Dennis Hale
3. Larry Powell
4. Dick Peterson ?
5. Marquies Gray
6. DB-?
Coach Jeff Horton
7. Mike Reid

Who was the last Gophers player to touch the axe?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Love the post - in honor of the Axe week, would like to add one more November game.

November 20, 1971
Minnesota 23 Wisconsin 21
Although not yet official at game time, it was more or less expected that this would be Murray Warmath's last one as head coach. At 3-7 overall (2-6 in the Big 10), the Gophers had experienced a rather tough year going into this finale at Memorial Stadium. Down 21-16 with two minutes to go on their own 20 yard line, the Gophers drove the length of the field and scored with less than 10 seconds remaining on the clock. Easy question - who caught two key passes on the drive and went on to become an All-American tight end that year? (He also played in two Super Bowls with the Vikings). Very hard question - who caught the winning TD pass? (It was the only touchdown of his collegiate career. Hint - he was also the placekicker.) Within three weeks, Paul Giel was named the new AD and Murray Warmath was named "assistant AD," but was relieved of his role as the head coach.

yes to Kingsriter, no to Louie Clare

Mel Anderson (only played 1970 - 1971) was the recipient of the game winning catch

Leo: Some quick answers:
1. Bill Daleiy
2. Dennis Hale
3. Larry Powell
4. Dick Peterson ?
5. Marquies Gray
6. DB-?
Coach Jeff Horton
7. Mike Reid

Thank you, Doc. The DB was Troy Stoudermire.

Who was the Badger quarterback in 1961 to lead the Badgers to a 23-21 victory over the Gophers handing us our only Big Ten
defeat that year?

Wisconsin had a tailback in the mid 70's whose nickname was " Roadrunner" Can you name him?

Rufus Ferguson was the Roadrunner. Ron Miller was correct on Badger QB.

Who was the Badger quarterback in 1961 to lead the Badgers to a 23-21 victory over the Gophers handing us our only Big Ten
defeat that year?

Speaking of that 1961 Wisconsin team, Miller's favorite target went on to some fame as a player and administrator. The Badger place kicker had an even longer career. I believe he was the first to kick 7 field goals in an NFL game. I have this hazy recollection of the field goal that did in the Gophers in that 1961 Wisconsin game. Maybe another old-timer can confirm. Wasn't there snow coating the crossbar and the winning kick hit and then went over the bar, sending a shower of snow to the ground? Thanks.

Believe the kicker may have been Jim Bakken, who kicked a bunch for the old St. Louis Cardinals one Thanksgiving. I remember watching that game in my uncle's basement in Inver Grove Heights.

Here a easy one. I know t November. but had to get this one in.

Who was the startin QB, WRS, and head coach the last time Minnesota won in Madison?

Here a easy one. I know t November. but had to get this one in.

Who was the startin QB, WRS, and head coach the last time Minnesota won in Madison?

Jim Wacker! After ruining Wisconsin's perfect season in 1993, another bad Gopher team scored a huge upset of the Badgers. Tutu Atwell had a big day. I think Corey Sauter was the quarterback that day.

Top Bottom