Where is the Broken Chair?

There seems to be a minor scandal developing in Nebraska, where the fans embrace the chair but the university does not. Is the U of Corn trying to lose the broken chair?

I thought there were indications the U of Minn wanted it lost too?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just let the mascots have fun with it each season. The fans seem to like it, it's a lot better than many of the other manufactured trophies. This one at least has a funny background story.

If Nebraska loses trophies let's give them the bell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thought it should be just a mascot exchanged trophy.

Just let the mascots have fun with it each season. The fans seem to like it, it's a lot better than many of the other manufactured trophies. This one at least has a funny background story.

Would be fun if the Chair trophy is just exchanged between the mascots. Would like to see an update with each games score and the W-L on it since it is only three years old. Right now Nebraska leads this Chair series 2-1. Not a fan of running across the sidelines or anything, but if there is a Changeover would still like to see the Huskers mascot and Goldy Gopher carry on the tradition of exchanging the trophy. Would like to see Nebraska put some Red and Gold paint on it. But if the chair dies I guess the chair dies.

Somebody has NO sense of humour. It's a fun trophy with an organic beginning. Looking at the Husker boards....some were claiming it as their favorite trophy. Makes sense if the others are all manufactured. The Gophers have the best trophies in the NCAA as it is. The broken chair is a cool one that I'd like to see continued.

The husker board is hilarious. We have got to get to the bottom of this and rescue the broken chair!

OK, so it's apparent this will have to be a grassroots movement. Why in the worlds the powers-that-be would want to kill something so fun and organic is beyond me, but alas...it appears they have. If we, the fans, can't get the coaches and administration on board, we'll have to keep it alive ourselves. A couple Huskers fans brought up what I thought were good ideas:

1) It could be kept by the board owners/administrators (Husker Board and GH)
2) It could be kept by a fraternity with chapters at both schools

What - The Husker Admin do not like Bo Pellini and his cat on the trophy? That is the funniest part. You can't kill it. Where is official dome's sense of humor?

Would be fun if the Chair trophy is just exchanged between the mascots. Would like to see an update with each games score and the W-L on it since it is only three years old. Right now Nebraska leads this Chair series 2-1. Not a fan of running across the sidelines or anything, but if there is a Changeover would still like to see the Huskers mascot and Goldy Gopher carry on the tradition of exchanging the trophy. Would like to see Nebraska put some Red and Gold paint on it. But if the chair dies I guess the chair dies.

Totally on board with this.

They probably want to kill it so they can come up with their own thing.... like a BS "Freedom Trophy"....
Can't monetize something that is a fan creation. College football doesn't know how to have fun any more, everything has to be so serious.

Yep. We need to get Goldy involved with this since he was a big part of it to begin with. It shouldn't be an "official trophy" but let the mascots have fun with it.

Don't turn into the NFL, aka "No Fun League".

My understanding is that's what happens already...

I blame Minnesota for obvious reasons. We don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Shame on us.

I get the concern on Nebraska's part over the Bo Pelini/Faux Pelini thing, but the utter lack of a sense of humor and the lack of a sense of fun on the part of the two athletic departments is hugely disappointing if not unsurprising. I knew something was up ahead of the game when Goldy didn't Tweet a thing about the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy, almost certainly due to the athletic department putting a gag order on him. Fan/social media generated or not, can anyone say Gopher fans care less about it than the contrived and deathly dull Governors Victory Bell or that Huskers fans give a bigger damn about the thing they play for against Wisconsin?

Does not seem like that will be a problem in the near or distant future.

Why? Because we're .500 against them the last 4 years? Or because we held a halftime lead and lost by a TD on the road this year?

I get the concern on Nebraska's part over the Bo Pelini/Faux Pelini thing, but the utter lack of a sense of humor and the lack of a sense of fun on the part of the two athletic departments is hugely disappointing if not unsurprising. I knew something was up ahead of the game when Goldy didn't Tweet a thing about the $5 Bits of Broken Chair Trophy, almost certainly due to the athletic department putting a gag order on him. Fan/social media generated or not, can anyone say Gopher fans care less about it than the contrived and deathly dull Governors Victory Bell or that Huskers fans give a bigger damn about the thing they play for against Wisconsin?

If this is an effort to distance themselves from Pelini that seems awfully silly and petty. No doubt Pelini was controversial but he really was the coach at Nebraska. I suspect some are a bit butthurt at Nebraska and they need a safe space. Yes, people are very petty. Even powerful ones.

Too bad, but this thing won't die if the fan bases keep it going. Even a fan exchange via alumni groups would be fun. Once the current Nebraska regime is fired/moves on the trophy can return in some way. Didn't one of our other trophies go missing for a number of years?

It's been said, but this seems really petty on the part of both schools. No explanation? Who made it? Gotta actually/legally belong to somebody.

I'd like to see it continue.

Why? Because we're .500 against them the last 4 years? Or because we held a halftime lead and lost by a TD on the road this year?

No...because of regardless of how our program is doing, Nebraska seems to have righted their ship. Now- take that statement, foam at the mouth and insult me as you normally do...

Top Bottom