Mitch Leidner's Finale

I just went back and watched the highlights from last Saturday. Leidner sure made some good throws for a totally inept non-D1 quarterback.

I just went back and watched the highlights from last Saturday. Leidner sure made some good throws for a totally inept non-D1 quarterback.

That was a petty damn good football game too. Armstrong made one unbelievable play on that third down drive when Cashman hit his arm too on that bullet throw on 3-11 in the fourth quarter.
Mitch had us moving towards a tying score chance, game got a little rushed, and the linebacker just made a play on the ball that ended it for the Gophers the come back chance. The Nebraska game was a 1 to 2 play game. Wish we could have the energy and some of the fan base that Nebraska would have, it would help with recruiting and getting better players(Yes I know the just win baby arguement and our fanbase is pretty good for the lack of success there has been here since 1967).

Mitch is a good kid, and like all seniors, he should be honored on Senior Day for giving everything he had for Gopher football in his career. It's just too bad that Conor Rhoda won't get the chance to be honored next year.

Huh? When did I or the OP suggest that? He is just excited to have the Leidner chapter over.

How about some class and thanking Mitch for his efforts- no one can question his drive and despite what you and your sock puppet OP think there are many worse QBs in the Power5 (yes and many better). Get a life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty classy to rip on a college kid. Must make you feel like a real adult. Obviously it's his fault that the coaching staff has chose to play him the last 3 years. The kid is Minnesota born and bred and bleeds Maroon and Gold. He works harder than you probably ever dreamed of. Gotta be one of the worst threads I've seen in a long time.

I agree that Mitch has played his heart out and gave what he had to U. He is was he is and that is not a great B1G qb. I feel like this is the Joey King thread 2.0. If he were from anywhere else other than MN....he would have been given way less rope and people would have piled on more.

How's it being a dram queen when a poster is sarcastically thankful that a player is leaving the program?

I get it, you don't accept mediocrity. But since you're wanting substance, here's Leidner's career at Minnesota.

Passing Yards, Career: 4th
Passing Attempts, Career: 2nd
Passing Completions, Career: 2nd
Completion %, Career: T2nd
Passing TDs, Career: T6th
Total Offense, Career: 2nd
Rushing Yards for a Quarterback, Career: 3rd
Rushing Touchdowns for a Quarterback, Career: 1st
Rushing TDs for Any Player, Career: 5th
Rushing TDs for a Quarterback, Season: T1st
Passing Yards, Season: 4th

There a distinct difference between being critical of the team you love and being a complete clown.

Bingo. Time to cheer on the seniors for being a huge part of turning the program around.

UNREAL!!! I will be there Saturday and when Mitch is introduced I will give him a standing ovation and scream my guts out. He is NOT a great quarterback. I wish he would've played better but NEVER have I heard one inkling that he hasn't given 100% on the field. His teammates seem to love him. He's been a total class act off the field.

UNREAL!!! I will be there Saturday and when Mitch is introduced I will give him a standing ovation and scream my guts out. He is NOT a great quarterback. I wish he would've played better but NEVER have I heard one inkling that he hasn't given 100% on the field. His teammates seem to love him. He's been a total class act off the field. Isn't that what we want from our COLLEGE student-athletes?

These dump on Mitch threads are pathetic. Mitch is the best chance we've had to win football games. He's been a great representative of the U and played his ass off. He'd try to run through a brick wall to win a game.

I understand being disappointed in his performance but there's no reason to be a d-bag. The players that are on the field laying it on the line should be celebrated, not ridiculed.

Look - I hope whoever the QB is next year, that they have a great season and the team wins a lot of games.

But, this is a 100% iron-clad guarantee: whoever the QB is next year, the first time they fumble, or throw an interception, someone will be on this board starting a thread calling for the QB to be benched, because there is a better QB on the bench and the coaches are too blind to see it. The backup is always better than the starter, according to the internet.

But, bottom line - I think a lot of Gopher fans - including many on this board - have grossly over-estimated the level of talent on this team, and set their expectations too high. Because the team has not performed up to their expectations, they need someone to blame, and have chosen Leidner as the cause of all the team's problems. Can't get a first down after being 2nd and 2 - Leidner's fault. Blow a coverage and give up an 80-yard pass. Leidner's fault. Kickoff out of bounds - Leidner's fault. Drop an interception - Leidner's fault. Bad time management by the coaches - Leidner's fault.

Mitch Leidner is one player out of 22 starters. I'm sick of the way he gets bashed on this board. That does NOT mean I think he's a great QB - he's not. He's the Gopher QB, and until he graduates, I will root for him and hope he does well. Because I root for all the players and hope they all do well.

Look - I hope whoever the QB is next year, that they have a great season and the team wins a lot of games.

I think everyone wants exactly the same thing to happen. I don't see anyone saying "I want us to lose the next 2 and the bowl so TC gets fired" - instead, you see "I think we will lose the next three based on what I see on the field". At the end of the day, this is a discussion forum and if the only comments you see are "Go team Go! or, I love this team even if they are 0-12", the discussions would stop and no one would post here. So, while I understand that you don't like anyone being critical of the team or players, you need to understand that you are participating on a forum where you will 100% see DISSENTING OPINIONS.

Again - I think we all like Mitch as a person. He has given every indication that he is a great human being off the field. But, he is not doing charity work by playing QB at the U of Minnesota. He receives a scholarship and has more aid/assistance in his studies and career than 99% of college students as a result of playing football. So, he is not exempt from criticism but we should keep that criticism to rational arguments based on his on-field results.

The reality is that this season has been a HUGE disappointment personally for Mitch - this was supposed to be a truly special season and instead we are limping to the finish line as we often do as Gophers. I think he would tell you as much. The stats don't lie and the expectations for Mitch were much higher than he delivered. If you think the expectations were unrealistic - so be it. But I think most would expect a senior 4 year starter to be a asset to the team rather than a liability in the passing game. Worst - Mitch saved his worst for the biggest games where we hope he can deliver that truly special performance. Against team with a .500 or better record (22-8 combined), his stats are:

ATT: 120
Comp: 71
Yards: 761
TD: 1
INT: 5
QB Rating (NFL): 63.22

Now - we all know that winning teams have a winning record because they are tougher competition and we can expect his stats to dip against these teams, but a 63.22 QB rating and 1TD vs. 5 INT (especially when they were thrown) is simply not getting the job done when we need him the most.

Maybe you are correct that we need to project our anger at the coaching staff that has delivered these results after 4 years of development and is bringing in poor quality talent at the WR positions. However, TC has built this team around the run which means Mitch should have much better stats as teams stack the box and give him better match-ups on the outside.

So - do I hate Mitch? Absolutely not! Do I want him to fail? Absolutely not. But, I am calling a spade a spade and saying that Mitch needs to step up his game for the University that has given him this opportunity and his teammates that are counting on him to do his part - again - playing QB on scholarship is not an act of charity. I think Mitch is not very athletically gifted throwing the ball (I think we all realize this) - so we need him to make MUCH BETTER DECISIONS. My expectations for Mitch have gone from offensive threat, to game manager, to below-average game manager that hopefully does not do something completely stupid. So yes, I am ready to move on from that to the next guy - but I will HOPE for Mitch to play lights out for the rest of his time here. But that is the difference between hope and rational prediction.

Great overview of Mitch and his career. I will be cheering for him and all our seniors on Saturday. I look forward to not having to read more threads trashing Mitch.

Great overview of Mitch and his career. I will be cheering for him and all our seniors on Saturday. I look forward to not having to read more threads trashing Mitch.
Tell me about it. Soon we'll be able to read threads trashing Green, Croft, Rhoda, or Williams. Yay.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Say what you will about his talent, Mitch is a f***ing warrior.

Mitch has never complained either. So much pressure put on him this year to perform miracles with no receivers who stepped up to be the play maker. The one receiver he liked got kicked off the team. If we f***ing tackle last Saturday night, we would be saying Mitch played his best game.

"Tell me about it. Soon we'll be able to read threads trashing Green, Croft, Rhoda, or Williams. Yay. "

You seem like the type of person that complains about the personalities on AM talk radio without realizing there is a station tuning dial and/or power button. If you want nothing but glowing reviews of Dear Leader, go to North Korea or stop reading this forum. Sorry, no more safe spaces in this country for you.

Mitch has been a major factor in the improvement of our football program during the last half decade. Thank you Mitch!

"Tell me about it. Soon we'll be able to read threads trashing Green, Croft, Rhoda, or Williams. Yay. "

You seem like the type of person that complains about the personalities on AM talk radio without realizing there is a station tuning dial and/or power button. If you want nothing but glowing reviews of Dear Leader, go to North Korea or stop reading this forum. Sorry, no more safe spaces in this country for you.

"Gopher Hole, love it or leave it man." Lol.

Nobody is saying you can't criticize players. Just don't be a prick that acts like a student athlete is to be despised for giving everything they have. Of course if you don't care for Gopher football there are many other programs and teams for you to follow. Love it or leave it.

I refuse to criticize Mitch. He is what he is- he plays hard and he's fell on more than 1 grenade during his time here. I believe better play calling over his career would have possibly changed what many perceive as a bad career into a good one. He's done more with less pretty consistently over his 4 years. When KJ Maye and Drew Wolitarsky are your best options as a Junior and Senior (loved/love them both, but should not be #1's), your passing game isn't going to be the greatest.

I hope Mitch gets hot, the coaching staff puts him in positions to succeed and he rolls the last 3 games. Love him or hate him...he's worked as hard as any player we've had during his time here.

DON'T LISTEN TO THE HATERS, MITCH!

I refuse to criticize Mitch. He is what he is- he plays hard and he's fell on more than 1 grenade during his time here. I believe better play calling over his career would have possibly changed what many perceive as a bad career into a good one. He's done more with less pretty consistently over his 4 years. When KJ Maye and Drew Wolitarsky are your best options as a Junior and Senior (loved/love them both, but should not be #1's), your passing game isn't going to be the greatest.

I hope Mitch gets hot, the coaching staff puts him in positions to succeed and he rolls the last 3 games. Love him or hate him...he's worked as hard as any player we've had during his time here.

DON'T LISTEN TO THE HATERS, MITCH!

Dang, folks take this site seriously. IDK, Jerry Kill and Limegrover blew QB smoke for 3-4 years and that kind of sucked but they paid the price for that and are now gone. Leidner's play does not deserve defending. his effort? sure does, he put in his time and did what was asked to the best of his ability.

Dang, folks take this site seriously. IDK, Jerry Kill and Limegrover blew QB smoke for 3-4 years and that kind of sucked but they paid the price for that and are now gone. Leidner's play does not deserve defending. his effort? sure does, he put in his time and did what was asked to the best of his ability.

He does when people exaggerate how bad his play is.

So...Jerry Kill and Limegrover are gone due to QB play? I thought it was seizures...

I've been a Mitch proponent from the beginning. He brought a lot of intangibles to the team, was a fierce competitor, a team player, a rugged run threat. Has he evolved into Tom Brady, dissecting defenses? Nope. Has he improved in some subtle ways? I'd say yes.

It is almost always appropriate to place blame on management or coaching in times of poor employee or player performance. Has Mitch received proper coaching on proper progressions/easier progressions? Drilled on when to check down or chuck into the stands? Drilled on how long to hold the ball? When to release the ball on routes? Are receivers being taught proper route-running? Is the line helping him out? Are tackles being sent out there with bum knees and ankles (2015)?

Ultimately, Mitch has helped us to some great victories. Every fan ought to stand and applaud when he makes his curtain call. Great competitor for us.

Top Bottom