Mitch Leidner's Finale

So basically you took your first thread/post (if it is) to lay a rant on Mitch. Got it. ML came pretty close to getting us into the B1G Championship game in 2014 and kept us offensively in that bowl game...with his arm.

Thank you for making my point. He came pretty close. Again with the mediocrity. Lets not forget how good David Cobb was that year as well... That was Cobb's team! He carried them as far as he could. Needed a QB to help him.

i'll admit it'd be fun to sit with Claeys and have him open up about this season. the more i think about Claeys i believe Claeys is the only reason Kill had any success of any kind here at MN.

If he is such a great warrior then why can he never win the big game? Two years ago on the road against Wisconsin to go to the big ten championship... had a big lead and blew it. Had a halftime lead at Nebraska this weekend... got blanked in the second half. A warrior finds a way to win those game.

The fact that he runs into the end zone from two yards away and pounds his chest does not make him a warrior.

I hope you get the apology Mr. Leidner owes you and you can find peace and move on with your life.

No he didn't...I was at that game. If he was an above average QB we win that game.

11/29/14 @Wisconsin L 34-24 5 18 95 27.8

So was I...two TD runs, some key 3rd down rushes, and a big 3rd down pass to Maxx. How'd he do in the bowl game? I was at that one too.

Dear Zach, hindsight shows us that Mitch had no upside as a BCS qb. It's over now. coach got sick and quit and the new guy will probably hang for this decision.

I like many of you have mixed feelings about Mitch, but there is no questioning his passion for the U and he played his heart for us. I know he didn't always come through in the end, but he has provided us with more uplifting moments than most recent gopher QBs.

On Saturday Mitch Leidner will play his final game at TCF Bank Stadium.

Hallelujah!! For the past 4 years we have all had the privilege to watch mediocre (at best) quarterback play. With a fifth year senior QB and one of the easiest schedules in the nation one would expect a special year? No... another mediocre season that in all honesty will probably be capped off by 3 consecutive regular season losses.

Our points per game has clearly increased this year. However, against one of our biggest rivals at home - Mitch and our offense could only manage 14 points and on the road in one of the biggest games of his career we score 17 and get blanked in the second half. Capped off by a horrible decision to throw into double coverage on first down...

We have two great running backs that are carrying this offense. I am excited to see what our 2017 offense can do with our weakest link in the chain gone.

For those of you that disagree. Please refer to these pathetic stats for a fifth year senior QB.

Completion percentage: 58.9%
TD/Int Ratio: 5/7 (Keep in mind 4 of the 5 TDs came against Indiana State)

This a first class example of a b1tch post. Dishonor the kid who's played his heart out for four years, making the most of whatever level of talent he has. I'm excited for the future too, but like most people I know how to express it without tearing down a young man who has given his best effort to this program, day in and day out, for the last four or five years.

Mitch seems like a good kid and all and I wish him well but what this program really needed this year was a senior qb to win the big games for us, not the Rutgers and Purdue type of games, and Mitch proved he just isn't good enough. Looking forward to seeing what a new qb can do next year.

You mean one of the QB's on the roster right now that wasn't good enough to unseat this QB that many think was the worst player ever to play the position?

I love the assumption that things will be better next year with someone else under center. Be careful what you wish for because for those that don't think it can, it can absolutely get worse. Hopefully one of the new guys comes in and lights it up but there are no guarantees that they will be any better than Mitch. We have seen Rhoda and Croft in limited action, neither did much to erase doubts about their ability to be the guy. Green and Williams are complete mysteries at this point.

I have been frustrated and critical of Mitch as well but I also don't have a ton of faith in this group to go out and find his replacement because their track record of recruiting QB's to this point has not been good (and yes I know that I am including Kill's time in that statement).

Well I am not going to defend the fact that I am a fan. I will explain my post. We know what Mitch is. He is a mediocre QB that cannot take us to where all of us FANS want to go. So I am excited at the prospect of having a new QB step up who could take us there. I am not saying that Green, Croft or Rhoda will be able to guide us to a BigTen championship. However, I can confidently say that Mitch cannot.

Your original post said nothing about being excited about the other guys getting a chance. Being excited about the future and celebrating someone leaving the program are two different things.

I think the blame continues to be in the wrong place. Blame the coaches for not developing a better QB. I think we got a hell of a lot more out of Leidner than most anyone expected when he came out of High School.

Thank you for making my point. He came pretty close. Again with the mediocrity. Lets not forget how good David Cobb was that year as well... That was Cobb's team! He carried them as far as he could. Needed a QB to help him.

Guess Mitch's 21 TDs that year didn't amount to much...or his 100+ yards and 2 TDs rushing against Nebraska...or his performance against Iowa with 4 TD passes while leading the team in rushing.

We've a non-passing QB in a non-passing offense with non-passing receiver's. Claeys, like Kill is a run first guy I will admit, I've hollared: "JHC Mitch, what the hell are you doing"?many a time, but then I sit back and think this is what you get with him. Good Mitch, bad Mitch. Let's hope he goes out as a "Good Mitch". For the wrath he has taken from a lot of fans, he deserves it.

I spent sometime during the Purdue game watching Mitch come off the field and sit by himself. anyone with the opportunity to see how he is wearing the failure like a 200lb coat will have a change of heart regarding the players. on the flip side, some kid wearing number 39 was up the whole time slapping players, cheering, standing on the bench whippin a towel. he was entertaining.

Hallelujah!! For the past 4 years we have all had the privilege to watch mediocre (at best) quarterback play. With a fifth year senior QB and one of the easiest schedules in the nation one would expect a special year? No... another mediocre season that in all honesty will probably be capped off by 3 consecutive regular season losses.

Our points per game has clearly increased this year. However, against one of our biggest rivals at home - Mitch and our offense could only manage 14 points and on the road in one of the biggest games of his career we score 17 and get blanked in the second half. Capped off by a horrible decision to throw into double coverage on first down...

We have two great running backs that are carrying this offense. I am excited to see what our 2017 offense can do with our weakest link in the chain gone.

For those of you that disagree. Please refer to these pathetic stats for a fifth year senior QB.

You have a keen insight.

The stats are what they are.

The stats are what they are(play calling, line play and quality of receivers has something to do with the stats), but why be a d!ck or an a$$ about it. Was a 559th thread on this topic really necessary? Kid's played his butt off for the U and gone through a lot, even winning a lot of football games. There isn't many guy's and gals on this board that could do, even a little bit of what Mitch does. Could he have played better yes, but not everyone achieves potential in front of a pressure cooker audience that is constantly tearing them a new one.
This latest thread is unnecessary piling on. Leidner showed up and took the job after another QB was selfish and bailed on his teammates. And to be honest he Leidner isn't as bad a football player as he is perceived to be, he has ability has played hurt frequently, and quite frankly beyond running backs (Cobb, Smith, Brooks) and the one and half years of Max Williams, there hasn't been a lot of offensive weapons to work with. Offensive line play with the exception of this year has not been up to Big 10 standards. Gophers have been really deficient in offensive line play since the coach Mason years until this year and they just started building. I will bet dollars to doughnuts that Mitch will end up collecting an NFL paycheck.

in an effort to end these treads i would like apologize to anyone who saw it clearly and stated the Mitch Leidner is not a D1 qb. dear weight!butt? you were correct.

Pretty classy to rip on a college kid. Must make you feel like a real adult. Obviously it's his fault that the coaching staff has chose to play him the last 3 years. The kid is Minnesota born and bred and bleeds Maroon and Gold. He works harder than you probably ever dreamed of. Gotta be one of the worst threads I've seen in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:Q. Tracy. With your seniors, you know, on hearing them on Saturday, just, you know, what has this group meant to you, if you don't mind comparing them maybe to some of the classes you've had over the years?
COACH CLAEYS: I mean, no different than last year's class. This year's class, same thing, when they got here, everything wasn't all rosy and going the right direction, and the culture had to change, and they were a big part of that, and, here they're setting there, and, you know, they have won 29 games, and -- which is tied for the third most of any senior class since 1937. We still have two games left for them to add to that total and have an opportunity, so, they've obviously had a good run here and done some good things, and so, hopefully we can close it out."

Let that marinate for just a moment... Not just Mitch.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_conference.php?id=125446

Low class man, very low class.

I don't care if you like Mitch or not. This is a kid who stayed at home in Minnesota to play football for our team and did EVERYTHING he could, as hard as he could to help this team.

Saturday is senior day for God sake. The last time he will wear the maroon and gold at home.

This crap is unbelievable.

Low class man, very low class.

I don't care if you like Mitch or not. This is a kid who stayed at home in Minnesota to play football for our team and did EVERYTHING he could, as hard as he could to help this team.

Saturday is senior day for God sake. The last time he will wear the maroon and gold at home.

This crap is unbelievable.

+1 I will lose my voice for the last time at TCF this season. GO Mitch, Go Seniors!, Go Gophers!!!

:Q. Tracy. With your seniors, you know, on hearing them on Saturday, just, you know, what has this group meant to you, if you don't mind comparing them maybe to some of the classes you've had over the years?
COACH CLAEYS: I mean, no different than last year's class. This year's class, same thing, when they got here, everything wasn't all rosy and going the right direction, and the culture had to change, and they were a big part of that, and, here they're setting there, and, you know, they have won 29 games, and -- which is tied for the third most of any senior class since 1937. We still have two games left for them to add to that total and have an opportunity, so, they've obviously had a good run here and done some good things, and so, hopefully we can close it out."

Let that marinate for just a moment... Not just Mitch.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_conference.php?id=125446

its posts like this that anger the blood of the OP. just sayin...

Top Bottom