Wilton Speight Out For Regular Season

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
Per a source, Wilton Speight has broken his collarbone and is out for the remainder of the regular season. Depending on the exact nature of the issue it is possible he could return for the bowl game.

Link

There goes their chance to beat OSU. Gift for the Buckeyes. They sure look playoff bound to me.

There goes their chance to beat OSU. Gift for the Buckeyes. They sure look playoff bound to me.

It'll be an interesting case for the CFP, no conference title, no division title if PSU wins out.

If Penn St and Ohio St both win out, Penn St is the East champs. Wisconsin then has a great chance at winning the Big Ten and getting into the playoffs. Will be interesting to see what the committee does if Ohio St wins out but doesn't get to the BT championship game.

If Penn St and Ohio St both win out, Penn St is the East champs. Wisconsin then has a great chance at winning the Big Ten and getting into the playoffs. Will be interesting to see what the committee does if Ohio St wins out but doesn't get to the BT championship game.

Isn't it obvious? A one loss Ohio St goes over a 2 loss Wisconsin no matter what. Granted a 2 loss Wisconsin could also make the cut, but it'll be tough.

This is going to be fun to watch. Arguably the 3-4th best teams in the Big Ten might meet in the Championship. The Big Ten Champ has a strong argument to get in even if WI/PSU. Pittsburgh just went in and beat Clemson. PSU doesn't have a bad loss and is improving. Wisconsin has two good loses and is playing really well.

Can't imagine tOSU being left out at 11-1. Michigan losing to Iowa will cost them dearly unless they can beat tOSU.

The Big Ten's odds of getting 2 teams in the CFP are still really good. With Speight out Ohio State would look like a great bet to beat Michigan and finish with one loss to a top 10 Penn State. Penn State is very likely to win their 2 remaining regular season games and much as we hate to admit it, Wisconsin is also highly likely to win their last 2 regular season games.

Meaning a 1 loss Ohio State is almost certainly in even though they won't be playing for the BIG championship. The winner of the Big Ten (Penn State or Wisconsin) also has a great shot to get in because they both have quality resumes. Penn State has only lost to Pitt (who just knocked off Clemson) and Michigan....whereas Wisconsin has only lost to Ohio State and Michigan. So whichever 2 loss team ends up winning the BIG, they will be able to make a strong case for inclusion.

Of course this all could easily get blown up over the next 2 weeks the way it did this past weekend.

Isn't it obvious? A one loss Ohio St goes over a 2 loss Wisconsin no matter what. Granted a 2 loss Wisconsin could also make the cut, but it'll be tough.

But what if Wisconsin beats Penn State in the conference championship game? Would they take a team that didn't play in their conference title game over a team that won it?

For that matter, a similar situation is happening in the ACC. Now that Clemson lost, they are far from guaranteed a spot in the CFP. Louisville is now ranked above them, but wouldn't play in the conference championship game due to their close loss at Clemson earlier in the season. Who gets taken in that scenario?

In most cases they are going to take the Conference Champion who played an extra game.

dont say its obvious when tcu got jumped before and they were actually conference champions

I don't think that is a sure thing.

Deja vu for Ohio State

It does help OSU, certainly, but the Buckeyes are very familiar with this scenario. All they need to do is look back to last season. Their closest competitor (MSU) came to Columbus with 1 loss & without its injured starting QB (Cook). Final result? MSU 17-14.

This Michigan team is much more equipped to beat OSU this year, even without Speight. Not predicting it, but wouldn't surprise me at all.

How many teams have a realistic shot at playoffs?

IMO there are 7 teams playing for 4 spots with three weeks to go.

Teams that control own destiny by winning out and conference championship game:
Michigan, Clemson, Washington and Alabama:

Teams that could get in by winning conference championship.
Wisconsin

Best teams that are not in championship game right now.
Ohio State and Louisville.

Outside looking in, but could resurface if upsets happen in next 3 weeks.

Big12 : Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, West Virginia
SEC: Florida if they win out and beat Alabama in title game
Pac 12: Colorado or Washington St
Big 10: Penn State if they win out and beat Wisconsin in championship game.

Looking at all these teams, ACC or Big Ten really has only shot at getting 2 teams in.

I'm with you and think that Ohio St. gets in over Wisconsin because they beat them head to head. Where it would get interesting is if Penn St. wins out. At that point you have to take a 2 loss Penn St. because they beat Ohio St. head to head.

But what if Wisconsin beats Penn State in the conference championship game? Would they take a team that didn't play in their conference title game over a team that won it?

For that matter, a similar situation is happening in the ACC. Now that Clemson lost, they are far from guaranteed a spot in the CFP. Louisville is now ranked above them, but wouldn't play in the conference championship game due to their close loss at Clemson earlier in the season. Who gets taken in that scenario?

Let's see, did OSU beat the stinking Badgers? Why yes they did.

And even if they hadn't, do you see the NCAA committee not picking osu? Impossible I say.

Besides, we still need to make room for my dark horse national champion. The Washington St Cougars. Go Pirate Go!

Top Bottom