Destiny Pitts

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/111416aaa.html

Destiny Pitts, one of the top-rated recruits in the nation, has signed a National Letter of Intent (NLI) to play basketball for the University of Minnesota. The Detroit Country Day High School 5-foot-10 guard will join head coach Marlene Stollings and the Golden Gophers beginning in the 2017-18 season.

Pitts, a native of Grosse Pointe Woods, Mich., is rated a four-star prospect by ESPN. She was rated 19th in the nation at her position in the 2017 HoopGurlz rankings, and tabbed as the No. 62 senior overall.

"I am elated to officially welcome Destiny to the University of Minnesota's family," Stollings said. "She brings dynamic scoring ability, high basketball intellect, a championship mindset and a relentless work ethic. Destiny is the epitome of a student who possesses strong prowess in the classroom. She will give Gopher fans much to cheer about in the years to come."

As a junior, Pitts led Country Day in scoring at 16 points per game. The Associated Press All-State honoree averaged six rebounds and three assists per game. Pitts shot 52 percent from the floor and 87 percent from the free throw line...

...In addition to the AP All-State Team, Pitts was named to the Detroit News All-State Dream Team. She plays for legendary coach Frank Orlando at Country Day.

Pitts played AAU basketball on the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League (EYBL) circuit for All-Ohio Black under the tutelage of head coach J.B. Bethea. All-Ohio is an Elite program rich in history and known for producing some of the nation’s top talent annually

http://www.lbinsider.com/news_article/show/735617?referral=rss&referrer_id=1994945

Pitts scores 50!

Led by Minnesota signee Destiny Pitts’ four three pointers, Country Day would grab control of the game on both ends of the court.

Country Day is a phenomenal defensive team. They suffocate teams and allow their defense to be the driving force behind their offense.

•Pitts was absolutely amazing. She was the team leader that she always is, and still found a way to give her team 50 points.

The 50 points scored are impressive. But I'm just as excited to know that she is part of what the article said is "a phenomenal defensive team".

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/h.../michigan-miss-basketball-finalists/98691312/

A look at the five Michigan Miss Basketball finalists including:

Destiny Pitts

6-0 guard, Detroit Country Day

College: Minnesota.

Biggest area of improvement: Defense.

Best move: Step-back jumper.

Favorite athlete: Kobe Bryant.

Favorite book: Any book by John Wooden.

Top opponent: Evina Westbrook, Salem, Ore. (Tennessee).

After my basketball career is finished, I will: "Be CEO of my own business."

Overview: Four-star guard who ESPN ranks as the No. 62 player in the nation; three-time all-state player helped Country Day win state championship in 2015; Has scored over 1,500 career points; 4.0 GPA.

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/sports/2017/03/15/country-day-cagers-return-final-four/99196694/

Destiny Pitts and Country Day advance to final four with a win over Mumford. Pitts scored 14 and fouled out.

Detroit Country Day is headed to the Final Four of the Class B girls basketball state tournament for the third consecutive year.

The Yellowjackets earned that distinction by topping Mumford, 58-49, in the state quarterfinal played Tuesday evening at Marysville High School. Country Day (24-1) now moves on to play defending Class B state champion Marhsall (23-2) in a semifinal game set for 6 p.m. Friday at the Breslin Center on the Michigan State University campus.

"I enjoy the fact that we battled tonight and worked our way back to Breslin," said veteran DCD head coach Frank Orlando. "We're going to have our hands full with Marshall. But, it's a great opportunity for our program and a great thing for our kids to be playing in the semifinals."

"It was a tough game for us," said Orlando, whose team advanced to the quarterfinal round of the state tournament for the 20th straight season. "We were cruising through the first half and then the game kind of evened out. Destiny fouled out and I got a technical. Mumford played hard against us today."

Kaela Webb led Country Day's offense with a game-high 20 points. Pitts, a senior guard, finished with 14.

http://www.miprepzone.com/oakland/print.asp?ID=20926

Destiny leads Country Day to title game:

She told you. Don’t say she didn’t.

After last year’s disappointing semifinal loss, Birmingham Detroit Country Day star Destiny Pitts guaranteed the Yellowjackets would be sitting at the same podium one year later, talking about a different outcome.

Flash forward a year …. aaaaaaaand, she told you so.

With a 46-42 win over the defending Class B champion, No. 6 Marshall, in Friday’s semifinal at Michigan State’s Breslin Center, the No. 2-ranked Yellowjackets are headed to Saturday’s state finals game — their state-record 16th title-game appearance — to play for the program’s state-record 12th title.

Country Day (25-1) will face No. 1-ranked Ypsilanti Arbor Prep (27-0) — the defending Class C champion — for the Class B crown Saturday at 6 p.m.

“I think it means a lot, with Coach O’s 50th year, and us seniors, we wanted to do this and — I don't know if you remember last year, but I told you we’d be back here. I was like ‘We’ll be back,’ so …” Pitts said with a grin at Friday’s postgame news conference. “Tradition is instill in our seniors, so we can pass it down to our juniors and freshmen. It’s important for our school … it’s important to bring it back to our fans, our community, our teachers, our school, because they believed in us the whole way.”...

...It was that aggressive defense that changed it from a potential shootout into a slugfest, as the Yellowjackets (25-1) limited the Redhawks (23-3) to just three field goals (on 15 attempts from the floor) in the second and third periods combined.

“We went to what we call ‘black’ — it was our match-up zone,” said Country Day coach Frank Orlando, before being hushed by his players. “We just matched up.”

So the ‘Black’ defense is a secret?

“No, I can’t talk about it,” Pitts joked, not even amending the stance, should the Yellowjackets win on Saturday. “No. Nothing.”

The matchup zone allowed the Yellowjackets to hold Marshall — which had shot 54.5 percent from the floor in the first quarter — to 25 percent shooting the rest of the way.

“I think they’d never seen a look like that, because the games we’d seen them play, the defense was usually playing man-to-man against them. We switched up the defense, and they didn’t adjust,” Pitts said. “I think we played defense really well down the stretch, once we got adjusted in the second quarter. Then when we came out second half, we knew that defense was going to win the game, and we did a good job communicating to each other where everyone was going to be on the floor. In our timeouts, we kept pushing ‘Defense, defense. We gotta get stops in order to win.’ Marshall’s a really good team, and we knew they weren’t going to give up.”

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/n...ss-b-title-has-special-place-in-coachs-heart/

Pitts leads Country Day to Class B title:

As Detroit Country Day waited to receive its trophy after a 59-48 Class B championship win over Ypsilanti Arbor Prep, senior Destiny Pitts was overcome with emotion.

She had just led her team to a second Class B title in three years, and she took a seat at the free throw line of the court at the Breslin Center, and put her hands over her face.

That's when Pitts' entire team piled on top of her, in a moment of pure joy.

The moment was that much sweeter, because at this time last year, the Yellowjackets were beaten in the finals by Grand Rapids South Christian.

"It was real satisfying," said longtime coach Frank Orlando. "The feeling we had walking out last year is we didn't play the type of basketball we're capable of. It just fed all through the practices.

"Remember this."

Pitts, who signed to play at Minnesota next year, led the Yellowjackets with 17 points, 10 rebounds and four assists.

"Destiny has a special part of my heart," said Orlando, who suffered a stroke in April 2016. "When I had that stroke, I would call her and I couldn't speak too well at the time.

"She listened, and she said, 'Coach, you're gonna be alright,' and thank God I was alright."

For Pitts, it wasn't about avenging the loss.

"We just always want to leave everything out on the floor for Coach O," Pitts said. "When he had a stroke, that hit me hard. So this season I've kind of been playing for him."

Top Bottom