Spot on article by Chip Scroggins

Some Day...Is Coming!

Some Day...Maybe?
Reaction score
http://m.startribune.com/first-place-was-just-an-illusion-for-gophers-football/400983485/

I've said it all year, the only way this team wins a game is if the defense comes through at the end. This offense never comes through. Never can bail out the D. The D has to know that, and it has to be tough for them when they know if they don't do it they have no shot. This offense has been propped up by turnovers all year, and last night it was aided by defensive penalties and a negative yardage punt in opponent territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offense bailed out D in Rutgers and Purdue games. High scoring games where offense had to score big to win.

Wow, great minds you and Chip Scroggins pointing out the obvious!!!! Well done!

That negative punt was awesome.

That negative punt was awesome.

I know, right. That was like the most Gopher thing ever...finally happening to the other team.

Offense bailed out D in Rutgers and Purdue games. High scoring games where offense had to score big to win.

Even though it ended up a loss, I would add Penn St game to this list as well.

Well, you can expect at least 4 scores from Northwestern. I hope they put Hardin on Carr and not Myrick.

http://m.startribune.com/first-place-was-just-an-illusion-for-gophers-football/400983485/

I've said it all year, the only way this team wins a game is if the defense comes through at the end. This offense never comes through. Never can bail out the D. The D has to know that, and it has to be tough for them when they know if they don't do it they have no shot. This offense has been propped up by turnovers all year, and last night it was aided by defensive penalties and a negative yardage punt in opponent territory.

Did the definition of never get changed to sometimes?

It's awfully easy to write an article like this after the fact. And even easier if your tone is negative. I have no respect for these guys.

Had Myrick caught the sure interception, he would have taken it to the house. The next play was a Nebraska touchdown. Our defense left a couple plays out on the field that likely would have turned the game. Didn't happen. Another loss to a ranked team.

Had Myrick caught the sure interception, he would have taken it to the house. The next play was a Nebraska touchdown. Our defense left a couple plays out on the field that likely would have turned the game. Didn't happen. Another loss to a ranked team.

Yup. That's what happens when two evenly-matched teams go at it. If Neb would've made one more play, they could've beaten Wisc on the road. If we'd made one more play, we could've also beaten PSU on the road. Solid teams, close games...

Maybe I accept mediocrity, but I don't think MN is far away as a program. I'm as pi$sed as anyone we haven't been able to win one of the 3 close losses. And the team isn't as good as I'd hoped. Turns out the OL is way worse than I anticipated, Leidner didn't improve at all from last year, and some of our returners on D have either disappointed or been injured. Mix in the suspensions/RO's, and the season hasn't gone the way I'd hoped. I'm going to tamper my expectations next year, no matter the hype online. I'll trust my eyes. But this is a solid program, make no mistake.

Yup. That's what happens when two evenly-matched teams go at it. If Neb would've made one more play, they could've beaten Wisc on the road. If we'd made one more play, we could've also beaten PSU on the road. Solid teams, close games...

Maybe I accept mediocrity, but I don't think MN is far away as a program. I'm as pi$sed as anyone we haven't been able to win one of the 3 close losses. And the team isn't as good as I'd hoped. Turns out the OL is way worse than I anticipated, Leidner didn't improve at all from last year, and some of our returners on D have either disappointed or been injured. Mix in the suspensions/RO's, and the season hasn't gone the way I'd hoped. I'm going to tamper my expectations next year, no matter the hype online. I'll trust my eyes. But this is a solid program, make no mistake.
Yes, we are no longer the pushover, homecoming, school.

^ +1

Wow, great minds you and Chip Scroggins pointing out the obvious!!!! Well done!

I've been saying it for 3 weeks pal, and if it's so obvious how come so many people disagree???

I've been saying it for 3 weeks pal, and if it's so obvious how come so many people disagree???

To be fair, it is a bit difficult to keep all your negative posts straight.

Do some hard work and look at the ESPN play by play summaries.

Vs Rutgers Mitch threw a pick six and Smith had a 94 yard kick off return. O's last 4 drives:

22 yards-downs
14 yards-punt
8 yards- downs
59 yards- FG

Rutgers go ahead FG was a fumbled punt by Wolitarski. Rutgers ran 3 plays for 1 yard and kicked the FG.

The D created a turnover and O went 18 yards for TD in 1st half. Combine that with the O giving up a pick 6 and Smith's kick return. Then factor in the O's last 4 drives.

D bailing out O EVERY time. Games come down to the 3rd and 4th quarters, and our O can NEVER put the nail in the coffin.

Purdue game, pick 6 by Mitch and turnovers by D with short fields. 5 of last 7 drives of game, punts.

The Maroon and Gold glasses just refuse to see it. Ya gotta look at more than just final scores.

People have been bitching about Mitch and the offense all season pal. This is not a hot take.

Really? Quite a few people seem to disagree, including people in this post. I've been told numerous times that we scored this many points, we scored that many points, when posting about how the O can never close out a game and it always has to be the D.

Really? Quite a few people seem to disagree, including people in this post. I've been told numerous times that we scored this many points, we scored that many points, when posting about how the O can never close out a game and it always has to be the D.
A couple of people doesn't equate to the whole board, if you haven't seen posts critical of Mitch Leidner and the offense on this board this season you haven't been looking.

you were correct in saying that Mitch never got better and his supporters year in year out were full of useless wishing. Now sit back and watch the last 3 games of Mitchs career.

you were correct in saying that Mitch never got better and his supporters year in year out were full of useless wishing. Now sit back and watch the last 3 games of Mitchs career.

I never said Mitch didn't get better. I also haven't been criticizing Mitch, I've been pointing out how poor the offense is. I don't think I've criticized Mitch all year.

I never said Mitch didn't get better. I also haven't been criticizing Mitch, I've been pointing out how poor the offense is. I don't think I've singled out Mitch one time all year. Try not to post if you have absolutely zero idea of what you are talking about.

I never said Mitch didn't get better. I also haven't been criticizing Mitch, I've been pointing out how poor the offense is. I don't think I've criticized Mitch all year.

ok, my mistake. i get some of the posters names confused.

Offense has to be better. No doubt. They clearly lag the defense -- and have for 6 years. I think 99% of Gopher fans would agree on those points. But to say they "never come through" is disingenuous.

OrSt: Offense scores 13 points in the 4th quarter to win, including a 12 play, 80 yard drive. Defense holds.
CSU: Offense goes on 11 play, 81 yard drive in 4th to go up 14. D surrenders another score later to make it a 7 point game.
PSU: Offense goes on 8 play, 80 yard drive to tie the game at 20, then 11 play, 58 yard drive for go-ahead field goal. Defense blows it.
Rutgers: Offense goes on 13 play, 59 yard drive for go ahead FG. Defense surrendered ridiculous amount of points to bad team.

Now on the whole, the O played badly in some of those games...and were part of the reason the games were close to begin with. But they came through in crunch time. But obviously the D is much better on the whole, and is the primary reason we win most games. O needs to catch up. Claeys knows that, has said it numerous times, and has tried making changes to that end. We'll see if he gets another year to try and make them work...

Top Bottom