Bowl Game Prep

csom_1991

Reaction score
Even if we drop the next 2 - I don't see any way that TC will be fired...that is just not the way Minnesota does things. However, it would guarantee our bowl will be a pointless affair that no one really cares about - however - it would give a month of prep for the team.

So - my question: assuming we drop the next 2 - do you take ML off the first team for bowl prep? Even if ML starts the bowl - another month with the 1's will make absolutely ZERO difference as shown by his regression this year. However, a chance to run with the 1's for a month could make a huge difference for the next guy and the next season(s). Yes -- this will likely hurt our chances in the bowl - but is this in the best interest of the program long term?

The only possible scenario I could imagine is giving Green reps with the 1st team with Mitch playing in the game as I don't see Rhoda or Croft being the future at QB and it wouldn't burn Green's redshirt. Fat chance of this happening though.

Think it also burns Croft's shirt so I don't see any way. Mitch is the qb for the season. And I really hope for the dude's sake he gets one more big win or he's going to be remembered for all good shortcomings and holding this team back and not all he gave to the team

The only possible scenario I could imagine is giving Green reps with the 1st team with Mitch playing in the game as I don't see Rhoda or Croft being the future at QB and it wouldn't burn Green's redshirt. Fat chance of this happening though.
I keep reading on this site that Croft isn't the answer. What have you seen to make you think that? Has anybody outside of the team really seen him do anything -- good or bad?

For all the hype on Croft from Kill, Rhoda jumped him in Spring and Fall practice.

Green is the QB of the future of those that are on the current roster.

I sure hope so. He's certainly an imposing physical specimen who passes the eye test. Hope he can even throw a little bit.

Kill and company have a history of naming a QB with 4 years of elgibility and living with him a first year or two but expecting great "growing" and end up with an experienced QB.
There are so many requirements on a QB that aren't realized b y the average fan that only experience teaches. Granted some mature faster than others.

Question? Did Kill and staff choose the right Freshman? Leidner or Nelson? And where would we be today with Nelson?

Kill and company have a history of naming a QB with 4 years of elgibility and living with him a first year or two but expecting great "growing" and end up with an experienced QB.
There are so many requirements on a QB that aren't realized b y the average fan that only experience teaches. Granted some mature faster than others.

Question? Did Kill and staff choose the right Freshman? Leidner or Nelson? And where would we be today with Nelson?

What on earth does what "Kill and Co" have to do with Seth Green?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They get 15 practices for the bowl game and less than 7 are used to prepare for the game. It's an extension of spring ball.

They get 15 practices for the bowl game and less than 7 are used to prepare for the game. It's an extension of spring ball.

A bit off topic but I could never understand why teams that don't make a bowl game are not afforded an extra 15 practices too? Everyone knows they are the teams that really need them. It presents one more hurdle for the half-nots in trying to catch up to the other half.

A bit off topic but I could never understand why teams that don't make a bowl game are not afforded an extra 15 practices too? Everyone knows they are the teams that really need them. It presents one more hurdle for the half-nots in trying to catch up to the other half.

Agree.

Plus allow players who RS to participate in the bowl game without burning a year of eligibility. They have worked hard and have stayed on the sideline all season.

Agree.

Plus allow players who RS to participate in the bowl game without burning a year of eligibility. They have worked hard and have stayed on the sideline all season.

I really agree with this. Obviously the exception would be the playoff bowl games.

Agree.

I've always thought that this would be an excellent idea. Its another reward for reaching a bowl, it rewards the student-athlete for waiting all year and it is almost like the beginning of the future.

On the surface it makes sense, but many of these teams are in turmoil and busy hiring and firing coaches. The last thing many of them want to do is to practice. Just a thought.

I think there's more value in a bowl win than there are a handful of "1st team practices".

^This is what makes me think Croft isn't the answer. If he was realizing his potential, a former walk-on wouldn't have passed him.

I know that's been debated at length on this board, so I'll let someone else rekindle that one.

On his podcast last night Ryan Burns said Green is still probably two years away (long, slow, throwing motion, although improved, and not enough arm strength yet) and Croft looks the part but is inconsistent. His guess is that next year's QB isn't on the roster. For whatever that's worth.

Problem with this thinking is "why stop there?" Why stop with Leidner? Why not replace Pirsig, Myrick, Travis, Wolitarsky, Ekpe, Lynn & Rallis?

Agree.

That's a REALLY GOOD idea. I would add make that a rule for all games except the CFP

I know that's been debated at length on this board, so I'll let someone else rekindle that one.

On his podcast last night Ryan Burns said Green is still probably two years away (long, slow, throwing motion, although improved, and not enough arm strength yet) and Croft looks the part but is inconsistent. His guess is that next year's QB isn't on the roster. For whatever that's worth.

All I know is that a player that gets passed over by someone who is widely considered to be less talented doesn't bode well for his future usually. It's pretty clear that Claeys is banking on Green to be the future at QB

Problem with this thinking is "why stop there?" Why stop with Leidner? Why not replace Pirsig, Myrick, Travis, Wolitarsky, Ekpe, Lynn & Rallis?

He didn't say "replace" Leidner. He said let someone else take more of the reps with the first team during practices. Doing the same with these other positions probably isn't a bad idea, either.

He didn't say "replace" Leidner. He said let someone else take more of the reps with the first team during practices. Doing the same with these other positions probably isn't a bad idea, either.

Gotcha. Probably not a bad idea if they're not doing any big changes.

Top Bottom