November Gopher History II

Nomellini

Reaction score
November 7. 1936
#2 Minnesota 52 Iowa 0
On their way to a National Championship, the Gophers get a touchdown catch by a Minneapolis native and Faribault high school product who will go on to a career as a legendary collegiate head coach. His teams will win 14 Big 8 titles and 3 National Championships, going 145-29-4 with an unmatched Division I 47-game winning streak. Can you name him?

November 8, 1969
Minnesota 28 Northwestern 21
Gophers get 141 rushing yards and a game-winning 6-yard scoring run in the 4th quarter from a sophomore running back from Daytona Beach, Florida. He will go on to graduate from the U of M Medical School and return to Daytona Beach to enjoy a long career in medicine. Can you name him?
The Gophers survive 3 touchdown runs from a back who will go on to a 6-year NFL career. His 316-yard rushing day vs. Wisconsin is still a Northwestern record. A multi-year stint as the host of American Gladiator will follow his playing career. Can you name him?

November 9, 1940
#2 Minnesota 7 #3 Michigan 6
On a sloppy field that preceded the tragic Veteran's Day Blizzard by 2 days, junior Bruce Smith sloshes and splashes 80 yards to a touchdown just before halftime. Michigan also has a legendary back who will win the Heisman in 1940. In his 3 years at Michigan, his teams will never beat Minnesota. A College Football of Famer, he will go on to compile a heroic war record and build a long career as a sportscaster. Can you name him?

November 10, 1973
Minnesota 34 Purdue 7
Gophers recover 6 Boilermaker fumbles and surge to 340 rushing yards, 177 by a speedy junior college transfer who will go on to a 9-year NFL career. A 4-time Pro Bowler, he will return 8 punts for touchdowns, catch 24 scoring passes and help his long-downtrodden team reach its first Super Bowl. Can you name him?

November 11, 1944
Minnesota 19 Indiana 14
Gophers overcome a touchdown catch by a player who will go on to play for 15 years in MLB. Renowned for his impressive biceps, he will be a 4-time All-Star, have 3 straight 40-home run seasons and lead his league in home runs, hits and runs scored once each. Can you name him?

I know a couple of these, but don't want to give anyone else that advantage.

I'm super impressed with the trivia that you bring here. On most of them I'm stupefied. And I sincerely appreciate that you put in the effort to bring this to us.

Ski-U-Mah Nom...keep up the good work.

I know a couple of these, but don't want to give anyone else that advantage.

I'm super impressed with the trivia that you bring here. On most of them I'm stupefied. And I sincerely appreciate that you put in the effort to bring this to us.

Ski-U-Mah Nom...keep up the good work.

Thank you! It's fun to call attention to the history of our program, made of memorable games and players.

November 7. 1936
#2 Minnesota 52 Iowa 0
On their way to a National Championship, the Gophers get a touchdown catch by a Minneapolis native and Faribault high school product who will go on to a career as a legendary collegiate head coach. His teams will win 14 Big 8 titles and 3 National Championships, going 145-29-4 with an unmatched Division I 47-game winning streak. Can you name him?

November 8, 1969
Minnesota 28 Northwestern 21
Gophers get 141 rushing yards and a game-winning 6-yard scoring run in the 4th quarter from a sophomore running back from Daytona Beach, Florida. He will go on to graduate from the U of M Medical School and return to Daytona Beach to enjoy a long career in medicine. Can you name him?
The Gophers survive 3 touchdown runs from a back who will go on to a 6-year NFL career. His 316-yard rushing day vs. Wisconsin is still a Northwestern record. A multi-year stint as the host of American Gladiator will follow his playing career. Can you name him?

November 9, 1940
#2 Minnesota 7 #3 Michigan 6
On a sloppy field that preceded the tragic Veteran's Day Blizzard by 2 days, junior Bruce Smith sloshes and splashes 80 yards to a touchdown just before halftime. Michigan also has a legendary back who will win the Heisman in 1940. In his 3 years at Michigan, his teams will never beat Minnesota. A College Football of Famer, he will go on to compile a heroic war record and build a long career as a sportscaster. Can you name him?

November 10, 1973
Minnesota 34 Purdue 7
Gophers recover 6 Boilermaker fumbles and surge to 340 rushing yards, 177 by a speedy junior college transfer who will go on to a 9-year NFL career. A 4-time Pro Bowler, he will return 8 punts for touchdowns, catch 24 scoring passes and help his long-downtrodden team reach its first Super Bowl. Can you name him?

November 11, 1944
Minnesota 19 Indiana 14
Gophers overcome a touchdown catch by a player who will go on to play for 15 years in MLB. Renowned for his impressive biceps, he will be a 4-time All-Star, have 3 straight 40-home run seasons and lead his league in home runs, hits and runs scored once each. Can you name him?

1. Bud Wilkinson
2. Ernie Cook
3. Mike Adamle
4. Tom Harmon
5. Rick Upchurch
6. Ted Kluszewski

Leo: One small correction, Bud Wilkinson graduated from Shattuck.

Leo: One small correction, Bud Wilkinson graduated from Shattuck.

Thank you for responding, Doc. My source indicated that he graduated from Shattuck School in Faribault, which suggests that he was a Faribault high school product.

Leo: I always enjoy your posts. Keep it up. Doc

Thank you, Doc. I suspect that many of our posters here are young folks with little interest in teams and players before their time, but I think there is a value in celebrating those who came before us. I didn't get hooked on the Gophers until I recognized the buzz in our house during the 1956 season as a 6-year old. When I grew up, a hobby of mine became reading accounts of Gopher games from the 1930's-1940's-1950's from "The Tribune" on microfilm in the Wilson Library basement. A nerdy pastime? Absolutely, but I am happy to own it!

Leo: I have you by 4 years. My dad took me to my first game (Paul Giel's last as a Gopher) in 1953 and I have been hooked ever since.

Top Bottom