Riddle me this...

Cobra

former west banker
Reaction score
Imagine this scenario:
The Gophers run the table in convincing fashion by winning out the last 3 games with double digit score advantage, & in the process beat 2 ranked teams, one in the top 10. They then win again in the B1G champ game over number 2 ranked, undefeated Michigan, finishing 10-2, & winning the B1G Ten championship outright.
My question is this:
Would the Gophers make the CFP as a 2 loss team with that strength of schedule?

I would say yes because the Big 12 is lousy. The Big Ten is being touted as the best FB conference. Their champ is in the playoffs.

You see, there is a horse and a cart and you have them out of order.

It's a moot point now, but I don't think the Gophers stood much of a chance of of a CFP bid even if they had gone 11-2. That would be too much of a leap from unranked to top 4 in four weeks. They would need some things to go their way with a few teams IMO.

Are we mathematically eliminated from winning the West or is there still a shot? I'm hung over and can't math right now.

I would say yes because the Big 12 is lousy. The Big Ten is being touted as the best FB conference. Their champ is in the playoffs.

Unless that champ is PSU or if the West is a mess of 3 loss teams and the winner of that complicated tiebreaker wins the B1G. In either case I don't think they would have enough to get into the top 4. PSU has a shot because of so many losses in the top 10 yesterday but they could still be edged out. However, I could see the CFP voters engineering the rankings in that situation to get PSU in.

Are we mathematically eliminated from winning the West or is there still a shot? I'm hung over and can't math right now.

I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but we're not technically out yet, but we need a miracle. We need to win our last 2 and wisco and Nebraska both need to lose their last 2.

I think, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but we're not technically out yet, but we need a miracle. We need to win our last 2 and wisco and Nebraska both need to lose their last 2.

I am sure someone will write out all the scenarios but yes we technically could still win the West but it will require winning out and we would need some help from other teams. Heck I would assume Iowa winning complicates things for us even more as they only have three conference loses as well so we would be stuck behind them and Nebraska from a tiebreaker standpoint even if we knock off Northwestern and Wisconsin.

So yeah, there is still a chance but for all intensive purposes the dream of winning the West died last night in Lincoln.

Top Bottom