Interest in the program is high, yet many are calling for TC's job. Why???

frannyjunk

Reaction score
- Gophers are 7-2, and on a 4 game win streak yet many are suggesting TC should be fired
- Expectations are high; i.e. the program is winning, just not sufficient for some fans. But we are Minnesota, not Oregon, Nebraska .... not even the status of a Michigan State. Why are expectations now so high??
- 7-2 at this point of the season is not mediocre!! I can understand IF the Gophs end the year at 7-5 or 7-6 .... still not a horrid record, just slightly above average
- The betting line (+7) says the Gophers are only slight underdogs at Nebraska. I expect this to be a great game, with a chance at a W. Why are people complaining again? Because we lost 2 close games at Penn State and against Iowa? Really???

So why are people calling for TC's job when he has a 7-2 Minnesota team that still has a chance to add more W's before the season ends? I don't get it.

Crowd size is not showing the intrest...we will see who jumps on board after this weekend

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

if we were 9-0 many of us would be crying to be in the BCS top 4. losing 2 games is almost a blessing in disguise for the claeys haters.

I believe it's because we seem to have quite a few people who bet on us to cover the spread,have a couple of brews,and whine and cry when we don't.

I figured it was about time for a thread on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is such a logical, rational, calm and collected crowd on Gopherhole. I'm as perplexed as everyone else.

Stating this is the best team the Kill era coaching staff has had, then being a defensive minded coach and allowing teams like a Rutgers to make you run for your money when they can't score on anyone else... is not retainable.

They're 7-2 vs the easiest schedule in recent history (a schedule a mediocre Iowa team went 12-0 against) and they won't see that next year....
Claeys job is not that secure, not even close

Stating this is the best team the Kill era coaching staff has had, then being a defensive minded coach and allowing teams like a Rutgers to make you run for your money when they can't score on anyone else... is not retainable.

They're 7-2 vs the easiest schedule in recent history (a schedule a mediocre Iowa team went 12-0 against) and they won't see that next year....

I see you're home early, and drunker than usual.

Looking forward to your insights during the in-game thread tomorrow. I'm sure you'll add a ton.

Astute observations such as this should lead us to a bright future. Glass half full group as I always say.

- Gophers are 7-2, and on a 4 game win streak yet many are suggesting TC should be fired
- Expectations are high; i.e. the program is winning, just not sufficient for some fans. But we are Minnesota, not Oregon, Nebraska .... not even the status of a Michigan State. Why are expectations now so high??
- 7-2 at this point of the season is not mediocre!! I can understand IF the Gophs end the year at 7-5 or 7-6 .... still not a horrid record, just slightly above average
- The betting line (+7) says the Gophers are only slight underdogs at Nebraska. I expect this to be a great game, with a chance at a W. Why are people complaining again? Because we lost 2 close games at Penn State and against Iowa? Really???

So why are people calling for TC's job when he has a 7-2 Minnesota team that still has a chance to add more W's before the season ends? I don't get it.

There aren't a lot of people calling for Claeys head at this point, there are a lot of people saying he shouldn't be considered safe based on a 7-2 record built on victories over bad teams with loses to the only 2 good teams we have played so far. There is a difference.

1 - I'll see your Rutgers close game and raise you a "Minnesota is better than Ohio St!"

2 - "Mediocre :not very good : of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance" Merriam-Webster. You think a Big Ten 12-0 season, a 12-2 with one bad game against Stanford season = mediocre. Sweet Christmas.

I don't believe anyone is calling for TC's head. Just pointing out expectations were higher than 7 wins and the administration will not be happy with less than 8 and continued empty seats. I'm encouraged that with three games to go that the Gophers are relevant in November and control their own destiny. I need to remember that this is the coach's first year as a HC and, as a result, has learned a lot. He's not the text book head coach but I am a fan of the staff and the brick by brick process mentality. As long as he wins 8, people stay un-suspended, and the bricks keep being added he will get an extension. the extension is critical to recruiting and getting 'more bricks'. Here's to hoping that the game against Bucky matters as it did 2 years ago!

- Gophers are 7-2, and on a 4 game win streak yet many are suggesting TC should be fired..

Fantasy football. People think you can either draft, buy or trade for a great coach and players..:eek:

To those on both sides of this argument: let the year play out. It's stupid to even discuss right now (although I've participated, and am doing so again...irony). Many looked like idiots for saying the team wouldn't win another game after bad losses early in 2013 and 2014. They obviously did. On the flipside, if you think there's absolutely no way Claeys could be dismissed, I'd say you're just as naive as those calling for his head right now. New AD, 3 more games against good teams. Anything could happen. Literally. So let's see...

I see you're home early, and drunker than usual.

Looking forward to your insights during the in-game thread tomorrow. I'm sure you'll add a ton.

As long as I give you a TM, could I copy/paste this into about every third post I make on this message board? There is so much tread on this tire. Would be a shame to see it sink into the depths after this topic goes a way.

To those on both sides of this argument: let the year play out. It's stupid to even discuss right now (although I've participated, and am doing so again...irony). Many looked like idiots for saying the team wouldn't win another game after bad losses early in 2013 and 2014. They obviously did. On the flipside, if you think there's absolutely no way Claeys could be dismissed, I'd say you're just as naive as those calling for his head right now. New AD, 3 more games against good teams. Anything could happen. Literally. So let's see...

FOUR more game. Otherwise +1.

People would have to care to call for Claeys head. At the gym this morning wearing my Gopher hat I asked a couple of other people wearing maroon and gold what they thought about the game tonight. They both had to ask who the Gophers were playing today. This is the reality.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People would have to care to call for Claeys head. At the gym this morning wearing my Gopher hat I asked a couple of other people wearing maroon and gold what they thought about the game tonight. They both had to ask who the Gophers were playing today. This is the reality.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone I run into in the Sioux Falls area with gopher gear that I talk to are actually gopher fans .. But there are by far more cornhusker and Hawkeyes fans around here ..

Hard core fans aside, people around here don't know when the Wild play. They don't know when the Wolves play. They don't know when the Gopher's men or women play basketball. A few may know when the men's hockey team plays, but it's because they usually play on Friday and Saturday. So it's an easier guess. Set aside a series or two they don't know who they play. People generally know when the Twins play, but that's because they play nearly every damn day from April to October.

Oh, and like every other team, the public can't tell you who the Twins are playing either! Except maybe after the first 2-3 games of a series.

That leaves the Vikings. Most people know when and many even know who they play. Particularly when they are winning. Then they even know about Monday and Tuesday games.

Now that's reality.

The Claeys job security poll should be called Claexit.

Finally a thread on the future of TC at MN...

This all gets back to the notion of expectations. What should people expect from the Gopher FB program?

Some look at the last 50 years, and frankly don't expect much - a .500 or better record and qualify for a bowl game.

Others believe that people need to demand more of the program, and have higher expectations - 9 or more wins and a major bowl game. The big question is whether those expectations are realistic. Yes, Claeys said this is the "most talented" team in the Kill/Claeys era. Personally, I don't necessarily agree with that estimation. I think some fans are over-estimating the level of talent on this year's team. And - has to be said - Mitch Leidner has not played as well this year as he did during the second half of last year.

Ultimately, it's up to the AD to determine whether Claeys is meeting expectations. Coyle has no inherent loyalty to Claeys - he didn't hire Claeys, and AD's have been known to want to put their own stamp on a program. So, if Coyle is one who thinks the Gophers are not playing up to expectations, it's possible there could be a coaching change. On the other hand, if Coyle feels the team is meeting or exceeding expectations, then Claeys should be back - and maybe even get an extension. We can argue on the internet until the end of time, but only one person's opinion really matters, and (to the best of my knowledge) he's not posting here.

Hard core fans aside, people around here don't know when the Wild play. They don't know when the Wolves play. They don't know when the Gopher's men or women play basketball. A few may know when the men's hockey team plays, but it's because they usually play on Friday and Saturday. So it's an easier guess. Set aside a series or two they don't know who they play. People generally know when the Twins play, but that's because they play nearly every damn day from April to October.

Oh, and like every other team, the public can't tell you who the Twins are playing either! Except maybe after the first 2-3 games of a series.

That leaves the Vikings. Most people know when and many even know who they play. Particularly when they are winning. Then they even know about Monday and Tuesday games.

Now that's reality.

Who do the Vikings play tomorrow?

Once the Gophs win tonight, TC will silence the nay sayers. Yes, I am calling this our upset special!!

Well, let's see who we beat....

Illinois
Purdue
Maryland
Rutgers

Wow. That's really impressive.

Interest in the program is high? How many open seats at the Bank? I think most of us were waiting for the car wreck and Mitch gave it to us tonight, I think the bandwagon is officially dead tonight.

Top Bottom