Pride on Ice Preview: College Hockey’s Best Rivalry Renewed

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Pride on Ice Preview: College Hockey’s Best Rivalry Renewed
By Grant Erickson and Travis Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/717383?referrer_id=331171

No. 3 North Dakota (5-2-0 overall, 0-2-0 NCHC) vs. No. 13 Minnesota (3-2-1 overall, 0-0-0 Big Ten)

Date: Friday, Nov. 4, 2016
Puck Drop: 7:00 p.m. CT
TV: FOX Sports North
Radio: 1500 ESPN, Gopher Radio Network
Stream: BTN2Go, FOX Sports Go

Date: Saturday, Nov. 5, 2016
Puck Drop: 8:00 p.m. CT
TV: FOX Sports North
Radio: 1500 ESPN, Gopher Radio Network
Stream: BTN2Go, FOX Sports Go

INSIDE THE MATCHUP
In the longtime series, the Gophers hold a 146-130-15 advantage over UND.

The last meeting came in the 2014 Frozen Four where Justin Holl scored the game-winner with .6 seconds left.

UND hasn’t been to Mariucci Arena since 2013. In the two-game series, Minnesota won the opener, 5-1, and tied the next contest, 4-4.

North Dakota has 12 Minnesotans on the roster, though four are from East Grand Forks.

The Fighting Hawks are led by Burnsville native Brock Boeser who’s posted six goals and six assists in six games. Boeser is a former Wisconsin commit before signing with UND.

RIVALRY HIGHLIGHTS
Want to get pumped for the weekend? Instead of Storyline Central, here’s a few clips of one of college hockey’s greatest rivalries.

We dare any Gopher fan to NOT get chills watching the .6 highlights. Still amazing to see and hear the calls.

Neal Broten sealed a National Championship over NoDak in ‘79 with this beauty.

Blake Wheeler’s WCHA Final Five winning goal is an all-time highlight, and looks similar to Broten’s. Racing to beat the icing, the effort on the play made it all happen.

It’s not all highlights, though. When you’re playing the Fighting Sio...err…Hawks, you know it’s going to be a battle. Sometimes that battle doesn’t end when the final whistle blows. Twice in recent years UND has tried to start a fight during the postgame handshake.

QUOTES
Don Lucia
On how to prepare his players for a series against North Dakota:
“I think the most important thing is your preparation shouldn’t change no matter who you’re playing. I don’t think you amp up more for one series versus another. You don’t have to put in a video of North Dakota to know how they’re going to play. They’re going to play through you, they’re going to play with pace. They’re going to be strong on the puck. They’re skilled; they’re the defending national champions. It’s exciting to get them back on our schedule and we’re looking forward to the series.”

On why the anticipation is still there despite not playing often, recently:
“The big games we’ve played over the years. Even with the three-year break, look when we’ve played. We played in a game to get to the Frozen Four and we played a game to get to the National Championship. Another thing I think is fun about the rivalry is it’s been pretty evenly played over the years. Some team might wrestle it away for a couple of years and then it gets wrestled back but, over time, it’s pretty even.”

On his favorite memories of the Minnesota-North Dakota series:
“Opening up the Ralph is one. That’s obviously a big memory. Keith Ballard pulling a jersey over a guy’s head and proceeding to score in the second game in overtime. Justin Holl’s goal. Blake Wheeler’s diving goal. Some unpleasantries in the handshake lines. Losing in overtime in a regional final on a wraparound goal. There have been games we’ve tattooed them and games they tattooed us. ...I’ve always said, when you go up and play in the Ralph, you find out who the men are.”

Justin Kloos
On if they’ve missed not having North Dakota on the schedule:
“Yes, of course. I think everyone has. It’s an unbelievable rivalry. It’s intense and mean and hard fought every time we touch the ice. The one time I’ve played in it, my freshman year, it was an unbelievable game. I was probably a little shy that first game, a little nervous. Hopefully I’ve gotten over that stage and ready to go to battle.”

Top Bottom