ESPN: Big Ten Week 9 bowl projections (Foster Farms Bowl: Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

The latest projections:

College Football Playoff: Michigan

Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual: Ohio State

Capital One Orange Bowl: Wisconsin

Outback Bowl: Nebraska

National Funding Holiday Bowl: Penn State

Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl: Northwestern

New Era Pinstripe Bowl: Iowa

Foster Farms Bowl: Minnesota

Quick Lane Bowl: Indiana

Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl: Maryland

http://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/pos...he-drivers-seat-10-league-teams-to-postseason

Go Gophers!!

Almost exactly what I posted on Monday, only I have Iowa in the Music City Bowl and Northwestern in the Pinstripe.

No surprise Wisconsin is in the top 10 in the CFP rankings, giving them the inside track to the Orange Bowl should they win out. But Penn State coming in at #12 was a shock, and if they run the table, they will be in good shape to grab the Cotton Bowl at-large spot opposite the "Group of 5" champion. That would move everybody up a slot in the bowl pecking order, and I could see our game against Northwestern deciding who goes to the Holiday Bowl.

Damn it we keep ending up in Santa Clara..... no fun in office park land.

Almost exactly what I posted on Monday, only I have Iowa in the Music City Bowl and Northwestern in the Pinstripe.

No surprise Wisconsin is in the top 10 in the CFP rankings, giving them the inside track to the Orange Bowl should they win out. But Penn State coming in at #12 was a shock, and if they run the table, they will be in good shape to grab the Cotton Bowl at-large spot opposite the "Group of 5" champion. That would move everybody up a slot in the bowl pecking order, and I could see our game against Northwestern deciding who goes to the Holiday Bowl.

Of course between now and then a million things could change that would totally shift all the scenarios. Bottom line is that we know we are going to a bowl but won't have any clue which one until we get much much closer to the end of the season.

In ESPN's other bowl projections (so many projections), Schlabach and McMurphy both have Minnesota in the Pinstripe Bowl (vs Georgia Tech and vs Pitt, respectively)

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-bowl-projections-2016-season-week-10

Really wish I wasn't so lazy because it would be interesting to see all the bowls and matchups we get tied to. So far in the last few days it has been Holiday vs. Stanford, the two you mentioned above and also the Foster Farms with no opponent predicted. Everyone just scrambling to fill the dead time between games with something, but the projections are so worthless at this point as no one has any clue how it will all play out until we get to right before the end of the season where the projections start to have some merit.

Kind of like polling data in presidential races or the CFP rankings.

Really wish I wasn't so lazy because it would be interesting to see all the bowls and matchups we get tied to. So far in the last few days it has been Holiday vs. Stanford, the two you mentioned above and also the Foster Farms with no opponent predicted. Everyone just scrambling to fill the dead time between games with something, but the projections are so worthless at this point as no one has any clue how it will all play out until we get to right before the end of the season where the projections start to have some merit.

Kind of like polling data in presidential races or the CFP rankings.

Best guess, we'll be in the Music City, Pinstripe or Foster Farms. Since the "five teams in six years" rule went into place for the mid-tier bowls (doesn't apply to things above Citrus and below Foster Farms), here are the teams that have been in each of the bowls:

Citrus: Minnesota, Michigan
Outback: Wisconsin, Northwestern
Holiday: Nebraska, Wisconsin
TaxSlayer/Music City: Iowa, Penn State
Pinstripe: Penn State, Indiana
Foster Farms: Maryland, Nebraska

If things play out as expected, that probably puts Wisconsin into the Citrus/Orange (because they're not dropping to Music City or lower), which probably puts Nebraska into the Outback (because same reason) and Penn State into the Holiday (because they're not going to Foster Farms). That leaves probably Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern to fill the other three slots in some order, with Iowa probably not going to Nashville. Complete conjecture at this point of course. I'd prefer we not leave it to chance and win out, just to be sure :)

Best guess, we'll be in the Music City, Pinstripe or Foster Farms. Since the "five teams in six years" rule went into place for the mid-tier bowls (doesn't apply to things above Citrus and below Foster Farms), here are the teams that have been in each of the bowls:

Citrus: Minnesota, Michigan
Outback: Wisconsin, Northwestern
Holiday: Nebraska, Wisconsin
TaxSlayer/Music City: Iowa, Penn State
Pinstripe: Penn State, Indiana
Foster Farms: Maryland, Nebraska

If things play out as expected, that probably puts Wisconsin into the Citrus/Orange (because they're not dropping to Music City or lower), which probably puts Nebraska into the Outback (because same reason) and Penn State into the Holiday (because they're not going to Foster Farms). That leaves probably Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern to fill the other three slots in some order, with Iowa probably not going to Nashville.

Guess we'd have to find the language somewhere, but because Iowa played in Jacksonville, I don't think that disqualifies them from playing in Nashville. I'd assumed the "5 teams in 6 years" rule was to not play in the same bowl, rather than the bowl slot.

Guess we'd have to find the language somewhere, but because Iowa played in Jacksonville, I don't think that disqualifies them from playing in Nashville. I'd assumed the "5 teams in 6 years" rule was to not play in the same bowl, rather than the bowl slot.

Here's the official language:

3. No Big Ten team will play in more than one Music City Bowl and one TaxSlayer Bowl over the term of the agreement.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...c_non_event/Bowl_Determination_Procedures.pdf

So yeah, you're right. Iowa could be selected but could not be in that slot for the next several years as a result.

Top Bottom