Brian Smith?

Starting receiver Brian Smith kicked off Gophers football team after fight - Strib

Speaking in general terms to KFAN, Claeys said: “Ultimately, I am responsible. But at the same time, I can’t be with them 24 hours a day, when you have 110 kids all over the place. I don’t know if they take you serious sometimes and think that [punishment] just won’t happen.

“Sometimes there’s a mentality out there that as long as you’re winning, you can do what you want, and people will oversee it and find a way to get around it and whatever. But that’s not the case.

“I tell them all the time, you can play hard and aggressive on the football field. But when you’re off of it, you can be a good person, you can go to class, you can be involved in the community, and that is your obligation. And whenever you make a bad choice, you’re taking a chance of losing a privilege of being a part of the football team at the University of Minnesota.”...

The 6-4, 210-pound Smith had been a revelation this season after not seeing the field his first three years on campus, including his redshirt year in 2013. He graduated from Brookfield (Wis.) East High School and chose to walk on at Minnesota after not getting many scholarship offers.

Smith had seven catches for 101 yards at Penn State in this year’s Big Ten opener.

“I think everybody has always known that he has what it takes,” quarterback Mitch Leidner said of Smith last month. “He’s always been a little bit of a knucklehead.”

Smith agreed, saying he had just been “irresponsible.”

“Typical putting my social life ahead of football, stuff like that,” Smith said last month. “Not prioritizing the right way, stuff you do when you’re young, you don’t really think about it straight, stuff like that.”

Claeys and Leidner both had heart-to-heart talks with Smith over the offseason, and he started showing his promise.

“It took a lot of growing up for me, which obviously is influenced by everyone around here,” Smith said last month. “Once I decided what I wanted to get out of this opportunity, that’s when it was easy for me to make the most out of it.”

http://www.startribune.com/starting.../?ref=nl&om_rid=AAFNEI&om_mid=_BYGe9qB8xYRHCT

Hard to know about any of these things but good to see Claeys willing to throw down the hammer even on a relatively productive player.

Absolutely! What really bugs me is that we have the only program in the country that has problems like this. No other program has kids thrown in jail, flunking out, getting in fights, getting drunk, doing drugs, etc. After all there are only somewhere over 105 young men associated with this program.

Can't this staff keep on eye on all of them all of the time? What I would like to see is technology at work. We are the UofM after all. Why not implant some kind of video device.

Where did I say this isn't happening anywhere else? And just because this happens elsewhere means it's OK to happen here? Thanks for twisting my words around though. However, if you want to play that game-

Can you think of another single school that has had multiple gang bang videos result in suspensions and restraining orders? Are you happy with the way this athletic department is being run right now? I think a fan of this program is allowed to be frustrated right now, no?

Where did I say this isn't happening anywhere else? And just because this happens elsewhere means it's OK to happen here? Thanks for twisting my words around though. However, if you want to play that game-

Can you think of another single school that has had multiple gang bang videos result in suspensions and restraining orders? Are you happy with the way this athletic department is being run right now? I think a fan of this program is allowed to be frustrated right now, no?

Your original post kinda insinuated that this is a much larger issue at Minnesota than other places.

Most of us don't follow other programs nearly as closely as the Gophers. So of course we don't hear about a lot of the issues at other schools. Every suspension or player kicked off a team is not national news.

Your original post kinda insinuated that this is a much larger issue at Minnesota than other places.

Most of us don't follow other programs nearly as closely as the Gophers. So of course we don't hear about a lot of the issues at other schools. Every suspension or player kicked off a team is not national news.

Oh I understand it happens other places- and it can happen at a much larger scale, as we are unfortunately seeing in Waco, TX. However, the past 18-24 months it has seemed that negative things just keep surrounding the two main programs at the U- whether it be gang bangs on video, Mega Tongue, coaching uncertainty, restraining orders, fan base apathy, and losing records last year on top of it- you name it. Just tough to see much positivity around the program right now.

Top Bottom