Tai'von Devers Absence?

SCSU Gopher Fan

The Chili is Spoiled...
Reaction score
Curious as to if anyone had any insight into his lack of playing time, especially on third downs? Our pass rush has been lackluster, and having him with our schedule coming up would be a huge. Chili is still hot...still hot

High ankle sprain limited him initially. He's gotten a few chances in the last 2 games, but they know his one move now...

High ankle sprain limited him initially. He's gotten a few chances in the last 2 games, but they know his one move now...

Yeah, little difference rushing the QB against BIG offensive lines as opposed to non-conf opponents. Kid may still have a bright future but needs to get bigger and develop.

I seen him in on one play vs Illini and it was a running play he give no effort to disengage period ...

I dunno if our pass rush has been that bad recently compared to earlier in the season. In the last three games we've averaged 3 sacks and 2+ QB hurries a game (according to ESPN). In the first five games we averaged 2 sacks and zero QB hurries a game.

That said, kid is a playmaker and I'd love to have him fully healthy for the stretch run.

Yeah, little difference rushing the QB against BIG offensive lines as opposed to non-conf opponents. Kid may still have a bright future but needs to get bigger and develop.

This is very true, appreciate the insight

I dunno if our pass rush has been that bad recently compared to earlier in the season. In the last three games we've averaged 3 sacks and 2+ QB hurries a game (according to ESPN). In the first five games we averaged 2 sacks and zero QB hurries a game.

Shhh...this doesn't fit the narrative! It isn't GopherHole if we don't make up things to bitch about!

Claeys has said that he's not ready to play the run at all.

His three sacks were identical.

Shhh...this doesn't fit the narrative! It isn't GopherHole if we don't make up things to bitch about!

Who was bitching? He asked about Devers and mentioned the pass rush being lackluster. 10 sacks in 5 conference games is.. meh. So so, lower half of big10. Lackluster seems like an ok term to use, especially when the opponents thus far rank; 14th (Rutgers), 13th (Maryland), 12th (Iowa), 9th (Penn St) and 4th (Illinois) in sacks allowed in Big 10 games.

We sat by his family at the Spring game and at that point we asked if he was going to change positions because he was so small, and they said they didn't think so, but they didn't expect him to play this year because of his size. I'm glad to see him getting some playing time, but yeah, I have to believe until he puts on a bunch of weight his playing time is going to be limited.

That said, kid is a playmaker and I'd love to have him fully healthy for the stretch run.

Game situation and opponent gotta be factored in there. Oh and boy would I like to see a fully healthy Devers out there also.

It was a lot easier for the Gopher D in the last game. Once the Gophers got a solid lead, George had to pass. Then the Defense could quit worrying about the running game and just head for the QB. Same thing in the Maryland game . The Gophers were up 17-0 about halfway through the 3rd Quarter.

Rutgers? Yeah, that's a bad football team without a very solid O-Line but 4 sacks on Giovanni Rescigno certainly were welcome and helped that slim victory.

It would be great to get a pass rush without blitzing, but don't see that happening this year. Not with Richardson and Devers nursing injuries. Do you? Any positive reinforcement on that point would be most welcome. :)

Top Bottom