What coaches do the most with the least and which coaches do the least with the most?

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I don't know who all the up and comers in the coaching ranks are but I got thinking about the following this weekend: Who does the least with some of the best recruiting classes and built in advantages vs those with the opposite. I would say Brian Kelly on Notre Dame - Jim Mora UCLA might be some of the leaders of the pack for those in the "Least with the most category"... I might even argue that Urban Meyer(even though his record is wonderful) seems to struggle against teams that have far less talent than Ohio State. ... Chris Peterson U of Washington and Pat Fitzgerald from Northwestern might do more with less than most coaches.

Washington has a ton of talent so not sure about CP. He did great things at BSU with lesser overall talent although they could get kids in that couldn't qualify in more academically vigorous schools. He also never had to worry about the weekly grind in his conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best:
Harbaugh
Petersen
Bohl
Smilin Glenn Mason
Leach
Briles
Bobby Petrino

Least:
Kiffen
Shaw
Miles
Hoke
Jimbo Fisher
Strong

Best:
Harbaugh
Petersen
Bohl
Smilin Glenn Mason
Leach
Briles
Bobby Petrino

Least:
Kiffen
Shaw
Miles
Hoke
Jimbo Fisher
Strong

Jimbo Fisher? Really? He is two years away from back to back undefeated regular seasons and three years from a National Championship.

Kiffen? Jury is still out. He improved Tennessee quite a bit in his season there. USC was a disaster, he walked into sanctions and did better than anyone after him. I wouldn't put him in the top one, but he certainly shouldn't be in the "Least" section.

Shaw? In 6 seasons at Stanford, he's played in three Rose Bowls and a Fiesta Bowl (plus 4 top 10 finishes).

Miles. . . I agree.

Strong. . . I agree

Not a current head coach, but I remember Ron Zook bringing in some great recruiting classes at Illinois, and indeed putting guys in the NFL, but just not winning as many games in college as he probably should have with the talent he brought in.

"Jimbo Fisher? Really? He is two years away from back to back undefeated regular seasons and three years from a National Championship. "

He has the cream of the crop talent wise year in an year out and a very easy conference as well. His teams play down to the level of their competition. He should be rolling teams like Saban with the talent he has at his disposal.

"Kiffen? Jury is still out. He improved Tennessee quite a bit in his season there. USC was a disaster, he walked into sanctions and did better than anyone after him."

Kiffen is a great X's and O's coordinator - but he could never get his players to 'play up' to their talent levels. That is why he is a perfect fit at a school like Bama where Saban handles the player motivation side of things.

"Shaw? In 6 seasons at Stanford, he's played in three Rose Bowls and a Fiesta Bowl (plus 4 top 10 finishes)."

Shaw's success to date is a function of how Harbaugh left the program. This year is the foreshadowing of what is to come as the wheels come off the longer Harbaugh has been away from the team. Stanford will be a middle of the pack team here on out until they can get their next 'once in a lifetime' coach.

Kiffen completely imploded the Tennessee program, committed multiple recruiting violations, and only had a 7-6 record, albeit after 5-7 year. Then his "dream job" came knocking. IMO I wouldn't say that was an improvement. I was attending UT at that time and it was a complete s#*t show. They are still trying to get out from his "improvement".

In defense of Urban Meyer, if you have a ton of juniors leaving every year, you'll be putting relatively inexperienced teams on the field every year. I don't care how many stars a guy has, if he's thrown into top competition too soon, he's going to make mistakes. It doesn't matter how fast a player is if he's running in the wrong direction. The relative downturn we've seen from tOSU the last month is likely a result of solid scouting by their opponents and exploiting the lack of experience on the Buckeyes. I think we see that periodically with Alabama as well.

"Jimbo Fisher? Really? He is two years away from back to back undefeated regular seasons and three years from a National Championship. "

He has the cream of the crop talent wise year in an year out and a very easy conference as well. His teams play down to the level of their competition. He should be rolling teams like Saban with the talent he has at his disposal.

"Kiffen? Jury is still out. He improved Tennessee quite a bit in his season there. USC was a disaster, he walked into sanctions and did better than anyone after him."

Kiffen is a great X's and O's coordinator - but he could never get his players to 'play up' to their talent levels. That is why he is a perfect fit at a school like Bama where Saban handles the player motivation side of things.

"Shaw? In 6 seasons at Stanford, he's played in three Rose Bowls and a Fiesta Bowl (plus 4 top 10 finishes)."

Shaw's success to date is a function of how Harbaugh left the program. This year is the foreshadowing of what is to come as the wheels come off the longer Harbaugh has been away from the team. Stanford will be a middle of the pack team here on out until they can get their next 'once in a lifetime' coach.

Not anymore on Shaw last years's Rose Bowl team was all of his recruits, it's his program now.

Best:
Harbaugh
Petersen
Bohl
Smilin Glenn Mason
Leach
Briles
Bobby Petrino

Least:
Kiffen
Shaw
Miles
Hoke
Jimbo Fisher
Strong

Harbaugh definitely a good coach, but doesn't fit poster's original question ("...with the least").

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-...elease-040057250.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Pat Forde hit a little on in this weeks Forde Yard Dash. More about salaries & ranking compared to "who does the most with the least," so not the exact same as the topic question, but still a ranking.

Power Five Bargains

Mike MacIntyre (6), Colorado. 2016 Salary: $2,011,450, which is 55th among FBS coaches. Team’s current Sagarin ranking: 17th. Net: plus-38 rating. Deduction: MacIntyre is compensated at the low end of Power Five coaches, which is where Colorado has performed for much of the past decade. But this has been the breakthrough year, which means the fourth-year coach is probably due for a raise if the Buffaloes maintain their current level of play.

Paul Chryst (7), Wisconsin. 2016 salary: $2,0706,200, which is 43rd among FBS coaches. Team’s current Sagarin ranking: 11th. Net: plus-32. Deduction: Chryst might have given Alvarez a hometown discount when he hired the Madison native and Wisconsin alum two years ago – and, truth be told, he hadn’t yet proved himself at Pittsburgh, his former stop. The Badgers’ play this year against a murderous schedule is validating his hiring.

Tracy Claeys (8), Minnesota. 2016 salary: $1,400,000, which is 68th among FBS coaches. Team’s current Sagarin ranking: 45th. Net: plus-23. Deduction: Claeys was elevated from within to replace Jerry Kill, and his salary reflects that. The Gophers are a flairless 6-2, with solid wins over Maryland and Oregon State and competitive losses to Penn State and Iowa. Claeys’ true value might be appraised in the final three games of the season: at Nebraska, home against Northwestern, at Wisconsin.

Chris Petersen (9), Washington. 2016 salary: $3,605,847, which is 25th among FBS coaches. Team’s current Sagarin ranking: fifth. Net: plus-20. Deduction: The third-year breakthrough into the nation’s elite should lead to a salary breakthrough for Petersen, who has seven figures’ worth of available bonuses for the taking according to USA Today.

Mike Riley (10), Nebraska. 2016 salary: $2,800,000, which is 42nd among FBS coaches. Team’s current Sagarin ranking: 23rd. Net: plus-19. Deduction: He looked overpaid going 6-7 last year, and underpaid at 7-1 this year. If the Cornhuskers finish the season strong against a challenging schedule he also could rake in a lot of bonus money (a max of $950,000).

Just missed the list: Mike Leach, Washington State, plus-18; Justin Fuente, Virginia Tech, plus-18; Dana Holgorsen, West Virginia, plus-16; Bobby Petrino, Louisville, plus-14.

Also, a word about North Carolina’s Larry Fedora: USA Today lists him as the No. 59 coach in terms of compensation at less than $2 million, but the paper acknowledges that it does not have the terms of Fedora’s latest deal that was agreed to last December. Interestingly, USA Today notes that the new deal “has not been executed.” Makes you wonder why not.

"Not anymore on Shaw last years's Rose Bowl team was all of his recruits, it's his program now."

His recruits but he brought them in on the basis of the winning tradition Harbaugh brought to the program. Shaw's cracks are already starting to show this year - they already have 3 losses and if they replayed USC right now - they would have a 4th. When you have a coach like Harbaugh - the discipline he instills lives after him in the underclassmen that remain for 3-4 years after he has left. A lot of the team's culture is the way of doing things handed down by those players from what they see as underclassmen and they then instill as upperclassmen. That is why you typically have a turnaround period associated with culture change of the program.

Regardless - this was about what they do with the talent rather than the level of talent. Shaw had great talent come into the program based on what the team accomplished the last few years - NC contender, Rose Bowls, etc - but now you are starting to see what happens when you put a poor coach in charge of great talent - underperformance. In Shaw's case - look at the O and D stats of this team. Read people comment about his game management style. This is a team that will struggle for a long, long time under him.

Top Bottom