Nebraska: tailgate or bars?

gopher ceaser

Reaction score
A few of us heading down to the gopher/ Nebraska game. Not sure if we should haul all our tailgate junk or hit the bars before the game. Any suggestions from anyone who has been there? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I would tailgate...the bars are packed. Be careful, lots of drunks and (despite how they brag about being the best fans in the world) they can be rude/confrontational.

I would tailgate...the bars are packed. Be careful, lots of drunks and (despite how they brag about being the best fans in the world) they can be rude/confrontational.

Or they buy u a beer and thank you for coming down for the game. I get the feeling their rudeness to you may induced by your own attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or they buy u a beer and thank you for coming down for the game. I get the feeling their rudeness to you may induced by your own attitude.

Definitely go with the bar scene. Visited last year for the first time with the Badgers and despite the home team losing their fans were awesome. Great place for visitors to party.

If you mean by attitude pulling for anyone other than the Cornholers, yes I have an attitude. I had a drink thrown at me once when I clapped for Louisiana Monroe in one of their epic non-conference games a few years back. I respect other teams and their fans when they are genuine.

There's a Husker who posts on GH who has an open invitation to GH'ers to join his tailgate.

Probably have to go back to September to find him. Some GH'ers joined last time and said had a good time.

Was down two years ago myself and did not tailgate but am doing so this time. I expect a great atmosphere, especially with the late start.

There's a Husker who posts on GH who has an open invitation to GH'ers to join his tailgate.

Probably have to go back to September to find him. Some GH'ers joined last time and said had a good time.

Was down two years ago myself and did not tailgate but am doing so this time. I expect a great atmosphere, especially with the late start.

This. Had a great time with them. Best time I've had as a guest at another venue.

Absolutely no reason to bring your tailgate stuff. Hit the bars and then head over about hour before hand and you will be invited into just about every tail gate you see.

Husker fans are great (lived in Lincoln 5 years).

I'll be at the game with some old friends who still live in Lincoln and this is how we have been attending games since 1994.

Not. Been there numerous times and never saw that.

I am heading down, leading a group of about 10-12 for the game at Nebraska. We are going to get as far as Sioux City Friday night and stay at a hotel there, then on to Lincoln Sat morning. We plan to set up a tailgate at Haymarket Park not far from the stadium. After the game we will be staying at a hotel in Omaha prior to the drive home on Sunday. Looking forward to it. I have seen a few road games over the years but none of these road games has featured a Gopher victory. I'm guessing this unfortunate streak will continue but I'll be cheering on the Rodents either way. I called the number listed for Haymarket Park today and talked to a super-nice guy who explained we shouldn't have any problem procuring a tailgate spot and it sounds like a very manageable half mile walk to the stadium.

Check out this website: http://nocoastbias.com/the-partygoers-guide-to-nebraska-football-saturdays/

Did the underpass Blur party mentioned below for the last gopher game. Was a lot of fun.
If you’re an out-of-towner and simply want to jump right into the tailgate scene for the common man, head just west of Memorial Stadium and check out the carnage that goes on right underneath the I-180 bridge. To prevent any issues getting into the lot, enter on the east side as the security team has more strict about folks entering from all other entrances over the years. Once inside you’ll be treated a huge crowd of fans from both schools playing that day, various merchants, extravagant tailgate rigs, and more. There’s even a party within the party as the Blur Parties tailgate is stationed right in the heart of all the action (tickets must be purchased online in advance).

I've been down there every Gopher game since the Huskers joined the Big Ten. Have not met one bad apple in the Husker bunch yet- before or after the game. We've tailgated every time, and had such a great time with their fans that we've made plans to tailgate with them every year going forward. Don't let one poster in this thread scare you off- 99.9% of Huskers fans are awesome and will treat you better than any other fanbase in the conference.

There are knuckleheads in every fan base even our own, but in my one trip there I was treated with respect by their fans. I cannot say that for Iowa City or Madison. I've heard Columbus is a nightmare for opposing fans.

I think it was Huskermax who hosted a great tailgate and invited us on gopherhole

A few of us heading down to the gopher/ Nebraska game. Not sure if we should haul all our tailgate junk or hit the bars before the game. Any suggestions from anyone who has been there? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I heard Beavcoon was going down and after the game was performing in Spoken Word at a local coffee shop for open mic night.

I have been to Nebraska twice (2012 and 2014) for gopher road games. Both times the fans were very pleasant and welcoming. In fact, after the 2014 win, the fans were almost too nice. After the game, while mingling with many of the husker fans at the bar, you would have thought I was Boddy-Calhoun given the amount of compliments received. It was if i was the one who tug the ball out of the receivers hand and saved the game for the Gophers. Quite weird.

Nevertheless, they have a great, new set up down by the basketball arena (Haymarket?) that was really enjoyable and I would highly recommend bargating in that area.

I heard Beavcoon was going down and after the game was performing in Spoken Word at a local coffee shop for open mic night.

I would make the trip for that alone. I can't get enough Beavcoon.

Husker fans are INCREDIBLE. By far the best atmosphere for opposing fans that there is...I have been to Lincoln three times for a game. Tailgating is ok around Memorial stadium but the best area in my opinion is The Railyard. This is a huge outdoor bar area that has projector screens with games on during the day and a ton of places to eat and most importantly drink. See below for a link...I will be there with 4 others!

http://www.canopyst.com/railyard

Beavcoon has been invited to share literary awareness to the people of Nebraska
Later to rendezvous with his tribal rodents
Looking forward for multiple chants of the Ski-U-Mah
And watching Nebraska's rankings go into descent

Although the question of tailgate or bars have left some of the tribe in torment
Wanting to spend time with Nebraskan bourgeois
Imbibing until these rodents become disorient.

Although the Haymarket is the preferred lot we draw
The Railyard may be the place for these rodents to consent
Mayhaps we'll know by the time we reach Omaha
And to Lincoln, we'll be ready to represent!

Beavcoon in the room with Working My Tail Off and Sparlimb!

Beavcoon has been invited to share literary awareness to the people of Nebraska
Later to rendezvous with his tribal rodents
Looking forward for multiple chants of the Ski-U-Mah
And watching Nebraska's rankings go into descent

Although the question of tailgate or bars have left some of the tribe in torment
Wanting to spend time with Nebraskan bourgeois
Imbibing until these rodents become disorient.

Although the Haymarket is the preferred lot we draw
The Railyard may be the place for these rodents to consent
Mayhaps we'll know by the time we reach Omaha
And to Lincoln, we'll be ready to represent!

Beavcoon in the room with Working My Tail Off and Sparlimb!

The rodent battle cry has been sounded!
Beat the Boilers and rally with the Beavcoon first in Omaha and then onward to victory in Lincoln!

With my visit to Penn State last month, I have now been to every Big Ten venue. If you handle yourself in a decent manner, they are all good places to visit.

But, in my experience, without a doubt, easily the most friendly fans are Nebraska. They were unbelievable. If you want to hit the bars, do so. Leave the bars about an hour before kickoff and walk to the stadium. And, on your way there you will have your fill of beverages, brats, and hospitality. It really is remarkable. I can't wait to go again.

Top Bottom