Tracy Claeys on Sports Huddle 10-30-16

I'll tell you what Glen Mason said about Billy Cockerham QB. " He was never the consummate " practice player" At times Mitch Browning would get on him to ramp it up in practice and Billy would respond, but most of the time he was just "Billy". But once game time came around you could see the fire in his eyes. and nobody played harder" Maybe that is Claeys problem with the likes of Holland , Gentry, and others. Claeys never played a lick of football past HS, and if I remember. he was a reserve who hardly played. Jackson played very well yesterday and just maybe he is a " gamer" . To keep a kid out because he doesn't run through a wall in practice shows the TC is not in touch with some of the players.

At this level I'm not even sure what playing well in practice even means, not sure why you wouldn't play your best players on game day regardless of how they played in practice, you can go with the you play the way you practice but even a fourth grader can see beyond that. At some point they are going to be done because they can't compete if they don't work hard in practice, at high major college level I'm not sure it is Claeys responsibility to try to instill that though.

Humbly submitted, that is either a non-sequitur or a classic straw man argument. Neither Coach Claeys or anybody on the board has said that guys who play badly in the games get to keep playing because they look good during the week. That is WAY different than a guy looking lousy in practice not making the field on gameday.

Gonna chalk it up to your desire to get a golf analogy into the discussion. :cool:

Well Ice.....this is JMO. I played basketball at Anoka-Ramsey JC. My freshman year we had a black kid on the team from South HS. He could flat out play, but in practice on the baseline to baseline runs at the end of practice he wouldn't push it. There wasn't one kid on the team as skilled as he was, but because he didn't run through a brick wall during practice he sat. He transfered out at the end of the season . In a practice game against GVJC he put up 30 points and had a team high in rebounds. We finished around .500 that year. If he had played more than mop up duty we would've finished a lot higher. I have the utmost respect for TC's take on this. I just don't agree with him. You play your best no matter how hard they practice.

If someone can show me a guy on the Gopher's squad, some hidden superstar that has been dogging it in practice, that would have propelled the team to victory against Iowa or Penn State, I'll consider changing my opinion. Until then, I like that Claeys is setting standards for the team that go beyond the 60 minutes on Saturday. Most high functioning teams and organizations clearly set expectations and promote those that meet them. I'm not sure why there would be a logical argument against this.

If someone can show me a guy on the Gopher's squad, some hidden superstar that has been dogging it in practice, that would have propelled the team to victory against Iowa or Penn State, I'll consider changing my opinion. Until then, I like that Claeys is setting standards for the team that go beyond the 60 minutes on Saturday. Most high functioning teams and organizations clearly set expectations and promote those that meet them. I'm not sure why there would be a logical argument against this.

Much too logical for a forum that once suggesting playing every QB on the roster for 1 quarter and then decide who to play after that. Gamer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Court ruling.

IIRC Winfield played sparingly vs PSU. Maybe someone can refresh on the injury situation.

Edit:I think Winfield played nickel and ayinde and McGhee platooned all game. ? If McGee was hurt as well

Much too logical for a forum that once suggesting playing every QB on the roster for 1 quarter and then decide who to play after that. Gamer.

I think you guys are missing the point. Generally arguing in terms of absolutes is a bad idea and almost always wrong. Take your argument, for example.

I think you guys are missing the point. Generally arguing in terms of absolutes is a bad idea and almost always wrong. Take your argument, for example.[/QUOTE

I have no problem arguing that a coach should have standards and players should be expected to meet them if they want to contribute to the team on game day.

Well Ice.....this is JMO. I played basketball at Anoka-Ramsey JC. My freshman year we had a black kid on the team from South HS. He could flat out play, but in practice on the baseline to baseline runs at the end of practice he wouldn't push it. There wasn't one kid on the team as skilled as he was, but because he didn't run through a brick wall during practice he sat. He transfered out at the end of the season . In a practice game against GVJC he put up 30 points and had a team high in rebounds. We finished around .500 that year. If he had played more than mop up duty we would've finished a lot higher. I have the utmost respect for TC's take on this. I just don't agree with him. You play your best no matter how hard they practice.

Most coaches will at least say the most important thing they do is help adolescent peons develop skills, work habits and traits that turn them into fine men. I'm glad your coach felt the same way.

Most coaches will at least say the most important thing they do is help adolescent peons develop skills, work habits and traits that turn them into fine men. I'm glad your coach felt the same way.

Over the years I've known some very smart people that were terrible at wanting to do or actually doing homework assignments but excelled when it mattered; ie tests, real life situations etc. In the real world I'd take those "lazy bastards" over the by the book OCD types in a heartbeat because you go with the people that can perform when it matters. Honestly sometimes the seemingly meaningless repetitions, whether it's algebra, physics, or sports practice just gets old for the extremely talented. They can turn it on when they want/need to.

Over the years I've known some very smart people that were terrible at wanting to do or actually doing homework assignments but excelled when it mattered; ie tests, real life situations etc. In the real world I'd take those "lazy bastards" over the by the book OCD types in a heartbeat because you go with the people that can perform when it matters. Honestly sometimes the seemingly meaningless repetitions, whether it's algebra, physics, or sports practice just gets old for the extremely talented. They can turn it on when they want/need to.

Thank goodness we don't deal with that in my line of work

FTR - who do you feel are the "extremely talented" players on our team not getting a shot because practice is "old" for them?

You guys are pieces of work. Just give it up. Or, why don't we agree to disagree. Some people can't perform quite as well when the heat gets turned up to 11 but will look good in familiar environments, playing against familiar defenses, players, blitzes. Mitch sucks when he's under fire. Sorry, but he doesn't stand in and deliver like some guys do. He doesn't go through his progressions well. It is what it is.

Regarding my prior post about talented people perhaps my communication is poor. Another analogy would be, I don't know, maybe an ER physician or surgeon that doesn't attest his records to perfection, back talks management, but will make the right calls when the chips are down. Sometimes the meaningless chit just isn't important.

You guys are pieces of work. Just give it up. Or, why don't we agree to disagree. Some people can't perform quite as well when the heat gets turned up to 11 but will look good in familiar environments, playing against familiar defenses, players, blitzes. Mitch sucks when he's under fire. Sorry, but he doesn't stand in and deliver like some guys do. He doesn't go through his progressions well. It is what it is.

Regarding my prior post about talented people perhaps my communication is poor. Another analogy would be, I don't know, maybe an ER physician or surgeon that doesn't attest his records to perfection, back talks management, but will make the right calls when the chips are down. Sometimes the meaningless chit just isn't important.

Ahhhhh, you watch that series called House!!

Top Bottom