STrib: One year in, the verdict is still out on Tracy Claeys

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Year 1 of Tracy Claeys’ tenure as Gophers head coach began before dawn last Oct. 28, when his close friend and longtime boss, Jerry Kill, resigned because of health reasons.

While Minnesota came to grips with the shocking news, Claeys took over as acting head coach, with three days to prepare for Michigan. The next 12 months brought Claeys some tantalizingly close losses, some too-close-for-comfort wins, a new contract and a new athletic director.

On Saturday, Claeys begins Year 2 with a game at Illinois, another seemingly critical test for him and his staff as they look to gain the confidence of Gophers fans.

Coming off last week’s unsettling 34-32 victory over Rutgers, the Gophers (5-2, 2-2 Big Ten) are nine-point favorites heading to Champaign, Ill., with a chance to become bowl-eligible.

“Everybody wants you to win by 21 points every week,” Claeys said. “I’m just still awfully proud of the way we compete, and we play physical. We’re a better football team than we were a year ago. I mean, I believe that.”

Claeys has gone 7-6 as a head coach after Kill went 29-29 overall with the Gophers, and 6-7 in his final 13 games.

http://www.startribune.com/one-year-in-the-verdict-is-still-out-on-tracy-claeys/399118341/

Go Gophers!!

I get the feeling if Wolitarsky's knee didn't hit the ground, the results and conversation are very different.

The verdict should probably not be in on any coach after only one year.

If Mitch would have just thrown that ball one yard further........

Gonna blame a great last minute drive that failed on the pass being extremely good instead of perfect? Asinine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now this is a reasonable article vs the ridiculous 3rd grade blog by ESPN and Austin Ward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get the feeling if Wolitarsky's knee didn't hit the ground, the results and conversation are very different.

I agree. We all watched KJ Kaye make 3rd down catches like that many times but after the catch he was usually able to dive for the first down without his knees touching the ground. He had a knack for doing that or in this case, make the catch and dive over the goal line for the touchdown. Purdue anyone? "A game of inches" is cliche' but true.

I agree. We all watched KJ Maye make 3rd down catches like that many times but after the catch he was usually able to dive for the first down without his knees touching the ground. He had a knack for doing that or in this case, make the catch and dive over the goal line for the touchdown. Purdue anyone? "A game of inches" is cliche' but true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH3784hJB98

This TCU catch is an example of what we all saw many times.

Top Bottom