I Want to be Utah

GoldenAle

Reaction score
I realize I am not an incredibly active poster on this site compared to some of the heavy hitters out there, but I thought I would share a few thoughts that have been running through my mind this season.

First, I'll start with where my expectations were at the beginning of the season. I took a look at the schedule, the easiest on paper in recent memory, coupled with a senior QB, a good enough defense, and two stud RBs, I 100% expected to go 9-3 with a shot at the BIG West title and a trip to Indy. Immediately after the first game, the product did not match up with expectations:
-Game 1: A tight win over a bottom-of-the-pack PAC 12 team
-Game 2: A fun offensive performance over a terrible FCS team
-Game 3: Another tight win over a team we should have blown away
-Game 4: A loss on the road to a middle of the pack BIG team that we had in hand
-Game 5: The ugliest football game of the season (bleeding eyes & ears)
-Game 6: A win over Maryland, that wasn't as fun as the final score indicated
-Game 7: A nail-biter over the worst team in the BIG

Now, after all of that, I am not saying Fire TC. Do I think he will be the long-term solution? Probably not. But here we are over 50% through the season and it made me really think about what is a realistic expectation for this program. We have beaten these points to death here on GopherHole: Power 5 conference with legacy title contenders; for a multitude of reasons will never need a stadium above 52k capacity; likely won't be a perennial top 30 recruiting class team. So, what can we be? For that, I think we should look West.

Partially inspired by this article: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/10/28/13440362/utah-utes-pac-12-conference-realignment I truly think Utah is a good example. Here me out:
-They play in a conference where they are not in the upper tier for facilities or other attractive qualities to recruits (vs. ORE, USC, Stanford, Cal, Washington, UCLA, etc)
-Since joining the Pac-12 in 2011 they have averaged the 47th best recruiting class in the country, hardly world beating
-In that same time they have averaged ~8 wins/season, including 9 wins in '14 & 10 in '15
-They don't play football in a college town and average less than 50k/game, but still have a lively atmosphere and success

So, how do we get from our current base of 6 wins/year to what Utah has and does (currently ranked #17)?
-Fundamentally sound
-Coach continuity
-Strong defense
-Strong run game

I know this is a very simplistic take, but we are not firing on the four cylinders listed above:
-Penalties & awful special teams (outside of Carpenter's FGs)
-TC's 1st year, installing a new offensive system, and changes to the D
-Defense has really played only 1 good game this year
-This we have, but have gone away from it this season at very odd times (e.g. Iowa) or show lack of play diversity

Long story short (and especially if you didn't want to read all of the above), I believe Utah is a strong model for what the Gophers can become, and become relatively quickly. Utah's model is very similar to what the Gophers were getting to under Kill, now it's time to press back in that direction. I don't think we will ever be OSU, Michigan, or even Wisconsin, but gosh, I would love to be Utah right about now.

This all sounds good. Need to re-establish a solid identity without being too predictable and avoid any trophy droughts. Hope coach Claeys can make some strides in that direction the remainder of the season. And, if we're going to run a read option, we'll need to have the right personnel in place starting next season. GO GOPHERS!

9-3 (6-3) would only give us a real slim shot at the West Division. 10-2 would give us a realistic shot IMO.

9-3 (6-3) would only give us a real slim shot at the West Division. 10-2 would give us a realistic shot IMO.

When I said 9-3 with a shot at the West, I mean something along the lines of 9 wins, but having to beat either NEB or WI for the 10th. I agree with you that two losses is about is many as you can have.

A lot of Samoans would help as well....by my count 4 of their 5 linemen and 4 of their front 6 on d.

I know Whittingham's name was thrown out on this board a few years ago.

Utah is a great comparison. No reason we can't get to that level.

I would love to have Utah's level of success. It would help to get a run of coaches like Ron McBride/Urban Meyer/Kyle Whittingham.

Ron McBride had some success in the WAC, most notably 1994 when they went 10-2, and in 1999 when they won the Mountain West. He had three losing seasons in 13 years as the Utes head coach. Meyer comes in 2003, promptly wins two conference titles and a BCS bowl and hands off an extremely stable program to Kyle Whittingham, his DC, in 2005. Whittingham has had two losing seasons in 11+ years at the helm.

So they've had five losing seasons in the last 26 (soon to be 27) years under three head coaches (one of which bolted because he's one of the best college football coaches of the past few decades, the other two that stayed for a decade+). In the previous 27 seasons before McBride, they had fourteen losing seasons. In the last 27 years, we've had sixteen losing seasons. Is Claeys the guy to take it up a notch? Is he our McBride? Maybe. It would be great if he was.

Two other teams that parallel Utah are BYU and Boise State. More upscale offenses, but still do more with less.

What about Wisconsin? There's no reason we can't get to that level, and it's better than Utah.

I think Utah is a great comparison because of them being in a big city, not having a huge fan base, etc. Not saying we shouldn't strive to get to a Wisconsin level of success.

As stated above, we will never be MI or OSU, but can't we at least strive to be IA or WI? (there's no reason we shouldn't be) I would love to win Floyd and the Axe 50% of the time!

I think Utah is a great comparison because of them being in a big city, not having a huge fan base, etc. Not saying we shouldn't strive to get to a Wisconsin level of success.

Not sure if I agree with comparison. Their fan base is quite large in Utah outside of BYU country. They do have a smaller stadium, but very passionate fans. The key differences are that the football program has no competition for fans, a large recruiting base in the area and Southern Cal, as well as a recent history of success. I agree it would be great to get to that level, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

I'm always in favor of striving for more. I think Utah-level success would be a great starting point.

Top Bottom