Mike McQueary Awarded $7.3 Million From Penn State For Defamation

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per The Big Lead:

A jury awarded former Penn State assistant coach Mike McQueary $7.3 million, to settle his defamation suit against the university. Penn State did not say whether it would appeal the verdict. That award could grow. A judge still has to rule on McQueary’s wrongful termination claim.

McQueary was Penn State’s wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator until 2011. He testified that he witnessed Jerry Sandusky committing sexual assault on a young boy in 2002 and reported the incident in detail to Joe Paterno, athletic director Tim Curley, and university official Gary Schultz.

McQueary was placed on administrative leave following Joe Paterno’s firing, purportedly for his protection. He was not retained when Bill O’Brien took over the program.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/10/28/mike-mcqueary-awarded-7-3-million-from-penn-state-for-defamation/

Go Gophers!!

I never knew that he was defamed by Penn State unless it's for comments associated with his being placed on administrative leave. Whatever, good for him. He deserves every nickel. I hope Paterno is having fun playing cribbage with Satan.

I never knew that he was defamed by Penn State unless it's for comments associated with his being placed on administrative leave. Whatever, good for him. He deserves every nickel. I hope Paterno is having fun playing cribbage with Satan.

That gutless coward does not deserve a dime. He should donate the entire award to abused kids. I wouldn't let him wash jock straps for a team

That gutless coward does not deserve a dime. He should donate the entire award to abused kids. I wouldn't let him wash jock straps for a team

Can you elaborate?

Awards like this are common when whistleblowers are punished by the institute that was the target of the whistleblowing.

Can you elaborate?

Awards like this are common when whistleblowers are punished by the institute that was the target of the whistleblowing.

It really depends on who you believe.

The most common narrative is that 8 years before Sandusky got into trouble, McQueary walked in on Sandusky abusing a 10 year old and reported that abuse to Paterno. He did the bare minimum to not be legally culpable himself.

I think most people believe that he should have, at a minimum, called the police and probably bashed Sandusky's head against the shower floor. If you saw a 10 year old boy being raped by a grown man, I would hope you would do more than just tell your mutual boss on him.

It really depends on who you believe.

The most common narrative is that 8 years before Sandusky got into trouble, McQueary walked in on Sandusky abusing a 10 year old and reported that abuse to Paterno. He did the bare minimum to not be legally culpable himself.

I think most people believe that he should have, at a minimum, called the police and probably bashed Sandusky's head against the shower floor. If you saw a 10 year old boy being raped by a grown man, I would hope you would do more than just tell your mutual boss on him.

Yes. See above.

per The Big Lead:

A jury awarded former Penn State assistant coach Mike McQueary $7.3 million, to settle his defamation suit against the university. Penn State did not say whether it would appeal the verdict. That award could grow. A judge still has to rule on McQueary’s wrongful termination claim.

McQueary was Penn State’s wide receivers coach and recruiting coordinator until 2011. He testified that he witnessed Jerry Sandusky committing sexual assault on a young boy in 2002 and reported the incident in detail to Joe Paterno, athletic director Tim Curley, and university official Gary Schultz.

McQueary was placed on administrative leave following Joe Paterno’s firing, purportedly for his protection. He was not retained when Bill O’Brien took over the program.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/10/28/mike-mcqueary-awarded-7-3-million-from-penn-state-for-defamation/

Go Gophers!!
Not that it changes the horrible events that occurred, but at the time McQueary observed the locker room crime he was not a coach, but a graduate assistant. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_State_child_sex_abuse_scandal

Top Bottom