Sid: Glen Mason likes Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Mason likes Gophers

Former Gophers football coach Glen Mason has been paying close attention to the Big Ten in his commentator role with the Big Ten Network. He was asked to break down Illinois (2-5 overall, 1-3 Big Ten), the Gophers’ opponent Saturday in Champaign, and said if the Gophers (5-2, 2-2) play their game and limit their turnovers, they will win.

“[The Illini] have a good quarterback in Wes Lunt, but he has been really banged up,” Mason said. “I think if he isn’t playing full-tilt, they’ll really struggle offensively. Defensively they’ve had a lot of problems. I’ll say this about Lovie Smith and [defensive coordinator] Hardy Nickerson, the old pro linebacker, and [Smith’s] coaching staff: When I went in and sat down with them, I was really impressed with these guys. I think they’ll get Illinois going in the right direction.

“But right now they’re really struggling. You do not put quality into a program overnight, and it will be a while until they get back to shipshape.”

http://www.startribune.com/chad-greenway-vikings-typically-respond-well-to-adversity/398973591/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

Mason likes Gophers

Former Gophers football coach Glen Mason has been paying close attention to the Big Ten in his commentator role with the Big Ten Network. He was asked to break down Illinois (2-5 overall, 1-3 Big Ten), the Gophers’ opponent Saturday in Champaign, and said if the Gophers (5-2, 2-2) play their game and limit their turnovers, they will win.

“[The Illini] have a good quarterback in Wes Lunt, but he has been really banged up,” Mason said. “I think if he isn’t playing full-tilt, they’ll really struggle offensively. Defensively they’ve had a lot of problems. I’ll say this about Lovie Smith and [defensive coordinator] Hardy Nickerson, the old pro linebacker, and [Smith’s] coaching staff: When I went in and sat down with them, I was really impressed with these guys. I think they’ll get Illinois going in the right direction.

“But right now they’re really struggling. You do not put quality into a program overnight, and it will be a while until they get back to shipshape.”

http://www.startribune.com/chad-greenway-vikings-typically-respond-well-to-adversity/398973591/

Go Gophers!!

Man, that had to absolutely kill Sid to publish that. He loves Glen Mason and if you've been reading his column or listening in the morning, he hates the present Gophers. Guess the love for Mason won out.

Man, that had to absolutely kill Sid to publish that. He loves Glen Mason and if you've been reading his column or listening in the morning, he hates the present Gophers. Guess the love for Mason won out.

I don't think he hates the Gophers. Like everyone else, he is concerned with the discipline on this team. As far as his love for Mason, I remember after Mason was fired he went on a diatribe on the " Sports Show" saying the Gophers will never hire anybody as good as Mason and went on to say what Mason had to deal with over at the U ( a indirect shot a Maturi) would turn any top flight coach off. Dark Starr even agreed with him , which was rare. So far Sid has been right.

Really enjoy Coach Mason on BTN. Also like that he has made Minnesota home and moved on from the tough ending of his tenure here.

As far as the relationship with Sid...I'll always remember the Sunday mornings after a tough loss when Coach Mason did not show up on Sid & Dave. Because he did not show, the default was to go to the phones. Those were some pretty brutal calls. Not good at all.

To Brewster's and Kill's credit, I don't think they ever did that.

Where in that blurb does Mason say he likes the Gophers besides the half sentence saying that MN wins if they limits TOs and "plays their game"? Sounds like he's more in touch with Illinois than MN...

Where in that blurb does Mason say he likes the Gophers besides the half sentence saying that MN wins if they limits TOs and "plays their game"? Sounds like he's more in touch with Illinois than MN...

Good point. Your reading skills have improved. ;) Though I have no doubt that Mason said some good things about the Gophers. He usually has. Also have no doubt that Sid and/or his editors just didn't print them.

There you go Ruppert. Sid got Mason in without saying a good thing about the Gophers. An anathema to him since Kill left. Will give the old SOB some credit, he saved the vicious stuff for the Sunday night show.

Top Bottom