STrib: Rejuvenated Jerry Kill says he'd 'still be coaching' if he had felt this good

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Joe:

Kill attends every practice and stands on the sideline for games.

“I know all the players, and I’m patting them on the tail end, and I still feel like I’m a part of it,” Kill said. “The athletic director [John Currie] needed me to build a bridge [to Snyder], so to speak, so it’s been good.

“I feel good. I wish I had felt this good [last year]; I’d still be coaching.”

Kill spent seven months between jobs before signing his one-year, $150,000 contract with Kansas State in May. He wanted to stay at Minnesota, but he and university President Eric Kaler couldn’t agree on a new role.

“I miss it, and I’d be lying if I didn’t say it,” Kill said. “And that’s not putting K-State down whatsoever. It’s just that Minnesota was my home, that was my team, and now it’s not. And I’m just going to tell you straight up, I could be helping that program a heck of a lot right now.”

http://www.startribune.com/rejuvena...he-had-felt-this-good-one-year-ago/398937711/

Go Gophers!!

I wonder if he feels this good because he isn't coaching and doesn't have all the stress.

I really wish he was here and believe Kaler made a mistake. He was admired in this town, which couldn't hurt. I'd take him back in a heart beat.

I'd be fine with him getting a job within the athletic department. I love Jerry Kill. With that said, I'd only be OK with it if Claeys and the rest of the staff would be 100% and I mean 100% on board with it. If even 1% of Claeys and staff would prefer him to leave the program alone then it wouldn't work.

This kind of goes along with the thread about Claeys stepping down, but how about this- Kill returns as HC (he's only on a 1 yr contract at KSU), Tracy is back as D-coordinator, and Kill keeps JJ and Miller. A complete, utter long shot, but fun to think about nonetheless.

I wonder if he feels this good because he isn't coaching and doesn't have all the stress.

Exactly what I was thinking after reading his comments. Happens all to often when it comes to stress, an injury that hasn't healed etc.

I'd be fine with him getting a job within the athletic department. I love Jerry Kill. With that said, I'd only be OK with it if Claeys and the rest of the staff would be 100% and I mean 100% on board with it. If even 1% of Claeys and staff would prefer him to leave the program alone then it wouldn't work.

^ This.

I really wish he was here and believe Kaler made a mistake. He was admired in this town, which couldn't hurt. I'd take him back in a heart beat.

From what I was told, it wasn't exactly just a role in the athletic department that Kill wanted. He wanted the A.D. position.

I was fine with this up to right here...

"...And I’m just going to tell you straight up, I could be helping that program a heck of a lot right now.”

Although I do believe this is true...seems to be undermining his DC of what...some 12 or more years?

It wasn't Claeys' fault that Coach didn't take care of himself. As best I can tell his retirement was his decision.

I was into the "In Kill We Trust" kid's fruit-sugar flavored drink [starts with a "K" and ends with "-aid"] as anyone. Don't like it.

Kill feels better every time he steps back. This time he stepped further back and feels even better. Jerry is the only one who doesn't see the connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This kind of goes along with the thread about Claeys stepping down, but how about this- Kill returns as HC (he's only on a 1 yr contract at KSU), Tracy is back as D-coordinator, and Kill keeps JJ and Miller. A complete, utter long shot, but fun to think about nonetheless.

Get real ....JHC

Kill has shed about 25 pounds, exercising and sticking to a low-carb diet designed for epilepsy patients. He works from about 8 a.m., to 8 p.m., these days, and only Kill could view a 12-hour workday as “slowing down.”

Kill still insists his head coaching days are over, though he hasn’t ruled out returning as a position coach.

“I think I need this year to find out how much energy I have,” Kill said. “But I don’t have to worry about it because I’ve got a situation that I enjoy, and I’m still a part of it.”

Oh and and I took a look at a few of the comments. Reminded me of something.

Never read the Strib comments.

Reading comprehension isn't your forte. It's ok. Someday maybe

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

"Utter long shot" ? Has to be the stupidest POY
A. With his history, he should've never been hired
B. Everytime he lost a game it was a " pitty party" at the presser
C. He had two decent seasons here and people want to build a statue for him out in front of TCF.
And finally: When he came back and roamed the sidelines when Claeys was coach he was an embarrassment. I have to give Claeys credit for the patient he showed while watching Kill interact with the officials , and everybody else on the sidelines.If he wants to meet his maker on the field do it in Kansas. Period, end of story.

C. He had two decent seasons here and people want to build a statue for him out in front of TCF.
And finally: When he came back and roamed the sidelines when Claeys was coach he was an embarrassment. I have to give Claeys credit for the patient he showed while watching Kill interact with the officials , and everybody else on the sidelines.If he wants to meet his maker on the field do it in Kansas. Period, end of story.

I think you're exaggerating just a bit.

All of these obstacles to overcome, and yet he still had the exact same winning percentage in the Big Ten as your Hero.

Kill is in complete denial.
His uncontrolled seizures were not from stress but from not being compliant with his meds.
He was not compliant because the meds made him feel lethargic.
He stopped the meds and had seizure after seizure.
For once Ruppert and I are in complete agreement.
For those of you for whom he was a father figure give it up.
He is never coming back to coach or have any formal position at the U.
From KS he came and to KS he will return and stay.

ol' jerry is a ball coach. its in his blood.

The day he quit I think O'Brien said he was sure Jerry would coach again one day.

No doubt not working 80 hours a week / being able to sleep is way easier on him. Same with the stress on his family.

Coyle got on campus after Kill took the KState job. It never should've been Kaler's hire to make.

If Jerry was in the press box for this team....we'd be undefeated. I doubt Jerry gets the opportunity to return to Minnesota. Clearly he should have been here in a role similar to what he has. The idea he wanted to be the A.D. is baseless. And I don't know where but he'll coach again somewhere...he'd rather die with his boots on than live out the days watching.

If Jerry was in the press box for this team....we'd be undefeated. I doubt Jerry gets the opportunity to return to Minnesota. Clearly he should have been here in a role similar to what he has. The idea he wanted to be the A.D. is baseless. And I don't know where but he'll coach again somewhere...he'd rather die with his boots on than live out the days watching.
Anyone who thinks this would've worked here at the U doesn't understand Jerry Kill. For better or worse he's a workaholic micromanager who wouldn't have maintained the boundary between assistant AD and coach, especially with his players and coaches in place. This is an individual with a chronic condition exacerbated by stress and lack of sleep who finds himself in a much better job and location for managing it.

I was at a conference the other day and one of the presenters talked about the importance of sleep. It was centered on the need for kids to get sleep, but the same thing holds for adults. If "cutting back" for Kill means 12-hour days, my guess he was working 16-hour days as a head coach and then probably not sleeping that well as he was going through things in his head. Add to that all the travel for recruiting and it doesn't add up to anything close to a manageable condition for someone with epilepsy. He's exercising and sleeping in regular patterns now. No wonder his health is good.

I liked him as a coach (although I recognized his foibles), but we have to move on. And so should he.

Anyone who thinks this would've worked here at the U doesn't understand Jerry Kill. For better or worse he's a workaholic micromanager who wouldn't have maintained the boundary between assistant AD and coach, especially with his players and coaches in place. This is an individual with a chronic condition exacerbated by stress and lack of sleep who finds himself in a much better job and location for managing it.

I was at a conference the other day and one of the presenters talked about the importance of sleep. It was centered on the need for kids to get sleep, but the same thing holds for adults. If "cutting back" for Kill means 12-hour days, my guess he was working 16-hour days as a head coach and then probably not sleeping that well as he was going through things in his head. Add to that all the travel for recruiting and it doesn't add up to anything close to a manageable condition for someone with epilepsy. He's exercising and sleeping in regular patterns now. No wonder his health is good.

I liked him as a coach (although I recognized his foibles), but we have to move on. And so should he.

Best posts in this thread. Kill is a great guy and WAS a great coach. His own strengths turned out to be his Achilles' heel. If he returns to full time head coaching, he will die on the job...because he can't help himself.

Best posts in this thread. Kill is a great guy and WAS a great coach. His own strengths turned out to be his Achilles' heel. If he returns to full time head coaching, he will die on the job...because he can't help himself.

Sadly that is probably true. I sincerely hope that IF he gets back into full-time coaching, especially as a head coach, he is able to check his ego and do it at a FCS school or some lower level institution where the stress and pressure is not at the extreme level it is at most power 5 programs. Even something like Division 3 where he could still get the rush of coaching without all the extreme pressure and scrutiny.

As others have pointed out he makes comments about how good he feels and how he could be coaching feeling the way he does now but he doesn't seem to be able to make the correlation that he feels as good as he does because he is not coaching. He needs to find a way to be content and happy being around the game without needing to be in a position of power, the real test will be to see if he can do that.

I would think that with his health history most power 5 schools would be very reluctant to consider him as a viable head coaching option but it just takes one.

All of these obstacles to overcome, and yet he still had the exact same winning percentage in the Big Ten as your Hero.

Well dpodoll, I certainly respect your opinion, but if Mase had made it to TCF Stadium with an AD ( Woody) that would have let him run the football program, I think bar would've gone up.
Woody was on a island in regards to football. Kill pretty much had a free reign. Mason never had that under Maturi.

Not too sure about that

Well dpodoll, I certainly respect your opinion, but if Mase had made it to TCF Stadium with an AD ( Woody) that would have let him run the football program, I think bar would've gone up.
Woody was on a island in regards to football. Kill pretty much had a free reign. Mason never had that under Maturi.

Don't agree...Kill did not want to play TCU...Woody scheduled it. Kill did not want to play North Carolina...and it was ugly. Kill didn't have a parking pass at TCF. I'm sure there are lots of other points that could be made that they did not get along and Kill had no power with Norwood.
Norwood did support Kill publicly through his health problems...I will give him credit for that.

Don't agree...Kill did not want to play TCU...Woody scheduled it. Kill did not want to play North Carolina...and it was ugly. Kill didn't have a parking pass at TCF. I'm sure there are lots of other points that could be made that they did not get along and Kill had no power with Norwood.
Norwood did support Kill publicly through his health problems...I will give him credit for that.

Hmm...not TCU. He was involved in Patterson's wedding. I remember talking with Kill at the Craguns Golf Outing in Brainerd. He was excited to play against his buddy. In regards to the football operations , after Woody was fired Kill said Woody had only attended one practice. He was not a football man

Hmm...not TCU. He was involved in Patterson's wedding. I remember talking with Kill at the Craguns Golf Outing in Brainerd. He was excited to play against his buddy. In regards to the football operations , after Woody was fired Kill said Woody had only attended one practice. He was not a football man

Kill was probably doing what all coaches do tio fans blowing smoke up your ass, sure they were friends, but Kill made it pretty clear he was not happy with Teague for scheduling for games for the reasons that he wanted UNC off the schedule in the first place

Don't doubt the discussion that you and Kill had. Like 60's guy though, I clearly remember how relieved Jerry was to get out of the North Carolina contract, and get New Mexico State instead. Also how disgruntled he was with the maneuvering that led to the TCU games after the announcement was made in May of 2013.

Maybe he came to appreciate it or just maybe he wanted to be a little more politically correct about it, either way, he was far from overjoyed when he first got the news.

Top Bottom