What on earth is going on with Melvin Holland and Isaiah Gentry?

Stan

Reaction score
These two came in super hyped by the pay sites. Then each spring the pay site reporters told us they looked great in spring, tons of athleticism, going to have breakout seasons and its as if Coach Anderson doesn't agree. Are they hurt?

These two came in super hyped by the pay sites. Then each spring the pay site reporters told us they looked great in spring, tons of athleticism, going to have breakout seasons and its as if Coach Anderson doesn't agree. Are they hurt?

Plain and simple.... outperformed in practice and game time by those you've seen getting the game time....Brian Smith, Tyler Johnson, Eric Carter, Rashad Still and Woli.

To be fair, both were injured at one point. I believe Holland recovered, but have no idea about Gentry...he seems injury prone.

Ive heard it implied by someone in the know that one of them is in Anderson's doghouse. And, Gentry is always hurt. Based solely on bizarre things like startin McCrary over Smith and Brooks, the position chart leapfrog game, and glowing reports on the athleticism from these two i do not necessarily think it is solely performance -related. But, attitude matters so it is what is is. OTOH Anderson seems to be a weak link in coaching up his charges and maybe he does not respond well to criticism, eg from a player's father. Just guessing.

I don't think either one has even been a Target this year.

IG2 is still wearing orange jersey in practice. GWG has likely nailed why MHjr5 isn't on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy. Holland can't catch and Gentry is always hurt.

And this hasn't stopped us from targeting Woz or putting Woli back to field punts. I dont think it quite that simple, but just a hunch and "rumblings" on the internetz. Maybe he will pull a Cobb, maybe he will transfer.

#freeHolland

#freeGentry

All I know is they both had limited opportunities last year. Gentry looked good, but was immediately injured and never to be seen again.
Holland had several easy drops with his limited opportunities. Thus the labels of injury prone and can't catch.

It will not get any easier for the two next year with Drew Hmielewski wanting to crack the lineup as well. Still, Johnson, Carter & Smith appear to be gamers who will continue to see their share of snaps. It'll be interesting.

From 247

"Holland I'm not even going to attempt to guess what's the situation there. One of the best route runners, and the drop rhetoric is a farce. KJ Maye had one of the highest drop rates in the conference and def on the team a year ago (+10% per PFF), yet it got ignored because he was huge on third downs."

Gentry pulls a hammie any time he runs harder than 70%. Holland I'm not sure what the problem is. Maybe discipline problems? Maybe work ethic problems? It is surprising for all the hype they got that they are no where to be found. I'm OK with it though, I've been wanting Brian Smith to get a chance and I think Still and Tyler Johnson are very good and can be even better.

All I know is the receivers on the field are average at best in comparing with the rest of the B1G.
Another thing, Mitch locks in on Woli to much. Many times throwing to him in double coverage.
I honestly thought Eric Carter would give us the same numbers as KJ. He's caught two passes this year. Another WR who had a good fall practice was Hunter Register, but I think he has only been in one game.

From 247

"Holland I'm not even going to attempt to guess what's the situation there. One of the best route runners, and the drop rhetoric is a farce. KJ Maye had one of the highest drop rates in the conference and def on the team a year ago (+10% per PFF), yet it got ignored because he was huge on third downs."

As others have said the issue with Gentry seems to be he just can't stay healthy. Lot of wild speculation on Holland, maybe it is an attitude issue but if he really was as good as some want to make him out to be I honestly believe he would be on the field. This team is dying for a playmaking WR and if they have one you don't keep him on the shelf for multiple years. Not sure why some are so unwilling to admit the guy just might be a bust because it isn't like the guys in front of him are setting the world on fire.

All I know is the receivers on the field are average at best in comparing with the rest of the B1G.
Another thing, Mitch locks in on Woli to much. Many times throwing to him in double coverage.
I honestly thought Eric Carter would give us the same numbers as KJ. He's caught two passes this year. Another WR who had a good fall practice was Hunter Register, but I think he has only been in one game.

You are correct sir.

As others have said the issue with Gentry seems to be he just can't stay healthy. Lot of wild speculation on Holland, maybe it is an attitude issue but if he really was as good as some want to make him out to be I honestly believe he would be on the field. This team is dying for a playmaking WR and if they have one you don't keep him on the shelf for multiple years. Not sure why some are so unwilling to admit the guy just might be a bust because it isn't like the guys in front of him are setting the world on fire.

1) Cobb

2) Freuchte

I see Woli is still listed at PR. I cannot take any staff that would do such a thing seriously. Sorry. Something is amiss.

maybe overreacting a bit here, but hey it's Gopherhole. There's so much crap that goes into who starts and plays that it's all just speculation. Here let's just throw another thing at the wall. Maybe Mitch hates throwing to Holland and they're never in sync, or Holland doesn't run hard when he's not targeted, or maybe he doesn't block well, or maybe, just maybe, none of us have any god damn idea. this isn't NCAA 16 where every player has a rating and you just put in the best guy (or the guy who's super athletic with 0 awareness because we all know that was garbage on that game and didn't matter). Anderson's going to play who he wants for whatever reason. If he's effing the team over, pretty sure Claeys is going to can him because he REALLY cannot afford to not put his best guys out on the field.

maybe overreacting a bit here, but hey it's Gopherhole. There's so much crap that goes into who starts and plays that it's all just speculation. Here let's just throw another thing at the wall. Maybe Mitch hates throwing to Holland and they're never in sync, or Holland doesn't run hard when he's not targeted, or maybe he doesn't block well, or maybe, just maybe, none of us have any god damn idea. this isn't NCAA 16 where every player has a rating and you just put in the best guy (or the guy who's super athletic with 0 awareness because we all know that was garbage on that game and didn't matter). Anderson's going to play who he wants for whatever reason. If he's effing the team over, pretty sure Claeys is going to can him because he REALLY cannot afford to not put his best guys out on the field.

Like I said, we have a guy that's fumbled 2/9 punts playing and a history of clutch drops.

Mitch was on record last season that Holland had skills. You're right that we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

Just having some fun with this, don't get bent out of shape. It's not a life or death situation but adds some intrigue to a lifeless Gopherhole right now.

1) Cobb

2) Freuchte

Easy to cherrypick examples of guys who came on late, and maybe Holland falls into that class as well. Or maybe he just ins't good enough, could pull countless examples of guys that just can't cut it at the college level. Would love to see him get it figured out and become a weapon for us, he is only a redshirt sophomore so there is still time. The flip side to that is that he is in his third year in the program and he can't crack the rotation at what is not a loaded position from a talent standpoint.

[/B]

Like I said, we have a guy that's fumbled 2/9 punts playing and a history of clutch drops.

Mitch was on record last season that Holland had skills. You're right that we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

Just having some fun with this, don't get bent out of shape. It's not a life or death situation but adds some intrigue to a lifeless Gopherhole right now.

hey i thought holland was going to be an absolute stud for us. he definitely looks the part. i'm hoping he gets it figured out, but the speculation that it's parents or Anderson is just holding a grudge or whatever is just bizarre to me and makes us look like tinfoil hat wearers (which is highly effective for reducing radiation. it's proven. :D)

With a little perspective, we see that Holland was a highly rated recruit who hasn't panned out. We also see how hard predicting success especially when your not a 5 start type player playing in numerous all star games. 2014 sticks out as there appears to be no WR performing from that class.

It looks as though our lower ranked recruits outperform the higher ones on a pretty consistent basis.

Another note A. McDonald was the highest ranked going to 2012 at #62, keep this in mind when you read a local paper gushing about a recruit. They may have potential but it's not like they are a top #20 player?

2012:
A. Mcdonald #62
Jamel harbison #65
I. Fruechte #264

2013:
KJ Maye #126 Athlete.
De'Niro Later #107
Wolitarsky #138th WR.
Eric Carter #207
Brian Smith unranked and a walk-on

2014:
Melvin Holland 84th best WR.
Isaiah Gentry 155th best WR.

2015:
Hunter Register #143
Rashad Still #215

2016:
Tyler Johnson #34th best Athlete.
Phillip Howard #57 best Athlete.
Drew Hmielewski #133

2017:
Javan Hawes #199

I have never understood the perceived conspiracy against Holland. I've never heard anyone except a few people quoting things from paysites that have ever been super complimentary about what they have seen. I am not pretending to have any skills accessing the talent of collegiate WRs, but Holland has never stood out to me. We are and have been in desperate need of playmakers, if Holland was better than the guys who are getting reps, I have to think he would be playing.

I also noticed people pointing to Fruechte as an example of a guy who didn't get a chance. . .huh? Fruechte saw a ton of playing time while at the U.

I also noticed people pointing to Fruechte as an example of a guy who didn't get a chance. . .huh? Fruechte saw a ton of playing time while at the U.

Yes, but now that he has spent time on an NFL practice squad (primarily because of his speed) he will forever go down in Gopher Lore as an awesome, under appreciated, under utilized, wasted super talent. See Adam Weber for further example.

I see Woli is still listed at PR. I cannot take any staff that would do such a thing seriously. Sorry. Something is amiss.

We have to assume they won't actually put him there, right?

Top Bottom