Quarterback uncertainty still exists for Illini - News Gazette

Iceland12

Reaction score
CHAMPAIGN — After his first college start Saturday, Jeff George Jr. soon talked to his dad, Illini great Jeff Sr.

The message was simple:

“He’s a proud dad,” George Jr. said. “He’s a dad over everything. Seeing me out there, he had nothing but good things to say.

“We didn’t really get into too much about football. He knows that everything is taken care of here. It’s just, ‘Hey, you did good.’ Keeping me positive.”

George Sr. has been in his son’s shoes. He led the Illini as starting quarterback in 1988 and ’89 and played well enough to be the first pick in the 1990 NFL draft.

Few players have access to that kind of resource.

“He really just emphasized managing the game and staying confident and cool in the adverse moments,” George Jr. said. “His biggest thing growing up through middle school and high school was ‘Weather the storm. There’s going to be ups and downs. Every play is a new play.’ ”

http://www.news-gazette.com/sports/...rterback-uncertainty-still-exists-illini.html

I have no inside info, but the Vegas line moving to -9 makes me think Lunt is a no-go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makes sense - had slid from 6 to 5 as of earlier today.

On the Illini talk site it looks like George will start.

That's good news for the Gophers, if true. Before Michigan put in their backups in the 4th quarter, here were George's attempts:

1st quarter
3rd and 13: Incomplete
-----
1st and 10: Incomplete
2nd and 17: Incomplete
3rd and 17: Incomplete
----

2nd quarter
3rd and 5: Incomplete
----
----
1st and 10: Interception

3rd quarter
3rd and 6: 43-yard completion to Turner
1st and 10: 6-yard completion to Grant
----
3rd and 3: Incomplete
4th and 3: Incomplete

He started the game 0/8 with an interception and would get pretty much all of his yards on two 43-yard passes to Malik Turner (one in the 3rd, one in the 4th that went for a TD). Outside of those two passes, he went 2/13 for 9 yards and an INT, and added one carry for 1 yard against the Wolverines. Now, he'll probably be better this week if he plays because he's had a chance to feel the fire up close and personal, but he's a bit away from being prime-time ready given the results from his first start.

That's good news for the Gophers, if true. Before Michigan put in their backups in the 4th quarter, here were George's attempts:

1st quarter
3rd and 13: Incomplete
-----
2nd and 17: Incomplete
3rd and 17: Incomplete
----

2nd quarter
3rd and 5: Incomplete
----
----
1st and 10: Interception

3rd quarter
3rd and 6: 43-yard completion to Turner
1st and 10: 6-yard completion to Grant
----
3rd and 3: Incomplete
4th and 3: Incomplete

He started the game 0/8 with an interception and would get pretty much all of his yards on two 43-yard passes to Malik Turner (one in the 3rd, one in the 4th that went for a TD). Outside of those two passes, he went 2/13 for 9 yards and an INT, and added one carry for 1 yard against the Wolverines. Now, he'll probably be better this week if he plays because he's had a chance to feel the fire up close and personal, but he's a bit away from being prime-time ready given the results from his first start.

Not sure I would read a ton into how he played against Michigan in Ann Arbor. That Michigan defense has been awesome all year and hasn't given up over 10 points in any of their Big Ten games so far. That said I would rather have him under center then Lunt on Saturday especially since if he is anything like his dad he won't be very mobile which is a good thing for our defense as running QBs tend to give us fits.

Anytime a new quarterback starts for the opposition and we hardly know him--he runs crazy and has an outstanding game. Its an unwritten rule.

Not sure I would read a ton into how he played against Michigan in Ann Arbor. That Michigan defense has been awesome all year and hasn't given up over 10 points in any of their Big Ten games so far. That said I would rather have him under center then Lunt on Saturday especially since if he is anything like his dad he won't be very mobile which is a good thing for our defense as running QBs tend to give us fits.

well considering our pass rush was non-existent last week, I don't know if it matters how mobile the guy is if he gets 5 seconds in the pocket

well considering our pass rush was non-existent last week, I don't know if it matters how mobile the guy is if he gets 5 seconds in the pocket

Since we will have our whole secondary I would rather take my chances on making a QB throw as opposed to him taking off and killing us on the ground. Pass rush in non-existent every week so that is nothing new.

Since we will have our whole secondary I would rather take my chances on making a QB throw as opposed to him taking off and killing us on the ground. Pass rush in non-existent every week so that is nothing new.

even the best guys in the NFL can't cover forever. I feel like we win more easily than expected but i'd rather have the whole D start to look like it's gelling together because in a few weeks, we're really going to need them.

"Opposing Quarterback Breakout U"

We had 4 sacks last week, tied with the Oregon St. game for the most in a game this season.

did you watch the game or just stating the stats with no context around them? because pure stats never tell the whole story

did you watch the game or just stating the stats with no context around them? because pure stats never tell the whole story

Yes, I watch every snap of every game - silly question. It's impossible to get 4 sacks with a non-existent pass rush. In order for it to be counted a sack, the quarterback must be tackled behind the line of scrimmage. It is impossible to get a sack by standing at the line of scrimmage and waiting for the quarterback to come to you. Sure, our pass rush could've been better - it always can be. Non-existent? Demonstrably false.

I would say the pass rush was very inconsistent as opposed to non-existent.

Yes, I watch every snap of every game - silly question. It's impossible to get 4 sacks with a non-existent pass rush. In order for it to be counted a sack, the quarterback must be tackled behind the line of scrimmage. It is impossible to get a sack by standing at the line of scrimmage and waiting for the quarterback to come to you. Sure, our pass rush could've been better - it always can be. Non-existent? Demonstrably false.

never mind. i'm not even going to go down this pathway with you. have a good day.

Only when you don't like what they have to say lol. Being at the game, I would say the mobility of their qb when a play would break down was what killed us. Sometimes he would just take off right away too, don't think it was the pass rush that was the issue there

I'll take four sacks and a couple of timely picks any day the week

i'll take them as well. just don't like the idea we're counting on brutal passes (both picks), them leaving a guy totally unblocked (one sack), and a QB running into his OL (another sack) as our reasons for making plays. Here's to hoping that the get up and go is more there with the rest of the players returning. Just would like to see the whole D come out and put it together

i guess i can concede that thought process.

I think the defense does okay getting pressure on the QB. They just do a bad job of containing them. Lots of pressure on the ends but no one up the middle so the QB is allowed to step up to avoid the pressure. Or lots of pressure from one side but nothing to the other side. The QB can just move away from the defenders.

Does George Jr have a cannon like his pops?
I am guessing Merrick Jackson will get a lot more play on first and second downs this week with Richardson being out.

Ok, Jeff George Jr played for Warren Central in Indianapolis. They were the 6A state champions in 2013, his senior year. My son played Right Guard for Jeff and protected him for two years. He is a decent QB, he will keep the defense honest with his ability to hit the receivers at time, and if need be he can run...not a great runner, but no slouch either. He is smart, knows the game and if you dont play well against him he will take his chances and make you pay....ask Carmel HS in the 2013 loss. My kid is going to this game and i might have to sit away from him, cuz he will be cheering for Jeff, and i will be for the Gophers....he might end up walking home from Illinois.

Ok, Jeff George Jr played for Warren Central in Indianapolis. They were the 6A state champions in 2013, his senior year. My son played Right Guard for Jeff and protected him for two years. He is a decent QB, he will keep the defense honest with his ability to hit the receivers at time, and if need be he can run...not a great runner, but no slouch either. He is smart, knows the game and if you dont play well against him he will take his chances and make you pay....ask Carmel HS in the 2013 loss. My kid is going to this game and i might have to sit away from him, cuz he will be cheering for Jeff, and i will be for the Gophers....he might end up walking home from Illinois.

thanks for the insight. does he strike you more as a guy who likes to sit in the pocket or throw on the run? we seem to get killed by guys who move the pocket and then pass.

Anytime a new quarterback starts for the opposition and we hardly know him--he runs crazy and has an outstanding game. Its an unwritten rule.

Besides that horrific performance from the unknown Maryland QB 2 weeks ago?

My only question is with our offensive line issues (injuries), why isn't your kid playing for us?!?

He is a pocket passer. He will pull it down and run if he has to, but not his favorite option.

Ok, so why doesnt my kid play for Minny or any college....hmmm, he had an offer from Mt St Joseph out of Cincy, but that was it. HE is 5'10" on a good day, and about 260-270, very mobile and hostile. Was the pulling guard on all the run plays, back up center...lets see, when you get knocked out a few times, hit by car age 6, concussions playing HS ball, and arent very attentive with your school work thats when u get a job for minimum wage. By the way Warren Central is number 9 in the country currently....good football program.

Ok, so why doesnt my kid play for Minny or any college....hmmm, he had an offer from Mt St Joseph out of Cincy, but that was it. HE is 5'10" on a good day, and about 260-270, very mobile and hostile. Was the pulling guard on all the run plays, back up center...lets see, when you get knocked out a few times, hit by car age 6, concussions playing HS ball, and arent very attentive with your school work thats when u get a job for minimum wage. By the way Warren Central is number 9 in the country currently....good football program.

You had me at hostile ;-)

Top Bottom