WBB: Media Day

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Starting lineup: Wagner; the other positions all have competition.

Of note: Taiye Bello was mentioned in this presser and Corbu's Facebook interview (shot blocking, rebounding and speed). Stollings also thinks Taiye can play the 5 in addition to the 4.

In the Corbu interview Stollings said Tinjum's experience will be important.

I also enjoyed Jasmine Brunson's interview with Corbu. Brunson's a big fan of Cappie Pondexter and thinks of herself as a scrappy point guard.

I enjoyed the interviews as well. They are a talented team and will surprise in the Big Ten.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/10/26/gophers-womens-basketball-turns-to-carlie-wagner/

Junior center Bryanna Fernstrom, a 6-5 junior center from Chisago Lakes who transferred from Iowa State at midseason last year, will make her debut in Gophers’ Big Ten opener Dec. 28 at Ohio State. Fernstrom averaged 9.1 points and 6.7 rebounds and had a team-high 34 blocked shots in 12 starts for the Cyclones last year before coming to Minnesota.

“I think I’ll bring a lot to this team,” Fernstrom said. “I think we have a lot of physicality and post presence, but I’ll help with that. I’m very physical, I can finish around the basket, I can shoot, a lot of that basic post stuff.”

http://www.startribune.com/carlie-w...-s-basketball-legend-rachel-banham/398800701/

Marcus Fuller on Wagner and media day:

"Basically we're looking for her to take on more of a leadership role," Stollings said. "She's got so much experience. You know she led the Big Ten in minutes played last year (37.8). She has a ton minutes logged here in just two years. Our hope is that she's a junior who performs more like a senior."

Joanna Hedstrom and Allina Starr are senior guards who will be major contributors. But Stollings said Wagner could be joined by as many as four new starters this season. She could share the backcourt with Marquette transfer and former Bloomington Kennedy star Kenisha Bell, and either Jasmine Brunson or Gadiva Hubbard, both freshmen.

"Every practice is a new five, and coaches are just trying to see how we play together," Hubbard said. "I think we all play pretty good with Carlie."

Brunson said: "She's just a great person to have on your team. She's always going to be vocal with you and talk to you. If you don't understand something, then she's going to help you out. She just makes up for many mistakes out there on the floor."

Hedstrom was a guard who played PF last year.

I think the lack of clarity on the roster might be more of bad thing than good at this point.

Hedstrom was a guard who played PF last year.

I think the lack of clarity on the roster might be more of bad thing than good at this point.

Me to. Play some D this year.

I’m curious to what everyone else’s thought is on this 4 starting spots up for grabs situation. First I would like to say that I do think it is a good to have a healthy competition for spots in order to make sure a player isn’t guaranteed a starting spot and then slacks off or doesn’t give 100% cause there is no fear of losing it. However I also feel that it leads to zero consistency or flow between starters. The only time in Marlene’s first two seasons we had any consistency was her first season after Banham went down and the starters were from then on Mullaney-Bailey-Wagner-Kelley-Zahui. Last season, the only two we knew from game to game was Banham and Wagner. Literally every other game, the other 3 starters could change. I know it’s a double edge knife because I don’t want players just to get put in Starting 5 and not change if something is not working but I’m just not sure that right now we still don’t have a favorite at PG/SG/PF or the C spot. My hope is that players like Bell and Fernstrom (when available) will take and lock down the PG/C spots for at least the next two years. I just wish we could get to the part when we are locking down a starting group and defined roles so we can use that as a building block moving forward.
Interested in what other people feel about the starters situation.

Yes, we actually know two starters-Wagner and Fernstrom (it's just that we need to wait for the B1G season for Bryanna). Which means, of course, the 5 position will rotate until the end of non-conference season. (Presumably with Edwards getting the majority of time; although Stollings keeps mentioning Taiye Bello).

Yes, I assume Bell is starting and is being pushed by Brunson. It's the three and four positions that appear up for grabs. Stollings will probably run a number of players through those positions through the non-conference season. But they have to perform-otherwise they end up sitting like Danielle Garvin.

I'm not really concerned about a set lineup offensively. On the defensive side, Stollings keeps saying the team is going to pressure the perimeter. So, I'm assuming that means regular substitutions to keep defenders fresh.

Two weeks to go.

you have the 3/4 spots open? I thought Wagner was pretty much locked into SF/3 spot. I thought the SG/2 and the PF/4 spots were the ones with most questions. C with be a question until conference season.

Yes, we actually know two starters-Wagner and Fernstrom (it's just that we need to wait for the B1G season for Bryanna). Which means, of course, the 5 position will rotate until the end of non-conference season. (Presumably with Edwards getting the majority of time; although Stollings keeps mentioning Taiye Bello).

Yes, I assume Bell is starting and is being pushed by Brunson. It's the three and four positions that appear up for grabs. Stollings will probably run a number of players through those positions through the non-conference season. But they have to perform-otherwise they end up sitting like Danielle Garvin.

I'm not really concerned about a set lineup offensively. On the defensive side, Stollings keeps saying the team is going to pressure the perimeter. So, I'm assuming that means regular substitutions to keep defenders fresh.

Two weeks to go.

C - Edwards/Bello
F - Tinjum/Kaposi
F - Wagner
G - Hubbard/Starr
G - Bell/Brunson

you have the 3/4 spots open? I thought Wagner was pretty much locked into SF/3 spot. I thought the SG/2 and the PF/4 spots were the ones with most questions. C with be a question until conference season.

You're right. I shouldn't have numbered the guard positions; because, other than the point, the other two seem interchangeable. That still leaves two positions that seem wide open.

In looking at samloupete's lineup guess, I'm still thinking Starr, like last season, will get most of her time at the four when Stollings employee a four guard lineup (I really hope Allina's three point shooting in the scrimmage wasn't a mirage).

You're right. I shouldn't have numbered the guard positions; because, other than the point, the other two seem interchangeable. That still leaves two positions that seem wide open.

In looking at samloupete's lineup guess, I'm still thinking Starr, like last season, will get most of her time at the four when Stollings employee a four guard lineup (I really hope Allina's three point shooting in the scrimmage wasn't a mirage).

How about Starr starting at the SF, since she actually has some Big Ten experience, and have Wagner at SG?

Top Bottom