BYU, Minnesota announce football series

I tried hard to forget the Wacker years. Evidently really hard, because this one isn't ringing a bell and I was in school at the time. I guess the losses didn't really stand out. I remember beating Syracuse though...

I seem to recall we successfully ran several qb sneaks early in the game and sacked their starting qb to the point where he was playing scared. If I'm not mistaken, they put in their second string qb and he led them to victory. One of several monumental collapses so you can be forgiven for forgetting this one as they all just sort of blend together over time.

That BYU game in 2025 will be no cake walk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the part that many people don't understand about the schedule and strength of schedule. This isn't the NFL where the schedule comes out 6 months before the season starts. Colorado and/or BYU could be top 10 teams when we play them or they could coming off back to back 2-win seasons.

Since 1974, BYU has had 3 sub .500 seasons. While anything is possible, the statistical probability of BYU winning only 2 games in back-to-back seasons is miniscule. They are a good program, their kids tackle well, and they typically play with a great deal of discipline. As people have mentioned, they are typically older and more mature. Really like this addition to the schedule!

I seem to recall we successfully ran several qb sneaks early in the game and sacked their starting qb to the point where he was playing scared. If I'm not mistaken, they put in their second string qb and he led them to victory. One of several monumental collapses so you can be forgiven for forgetting this one as they all just sort of blend together over time.

Yes, Koy Detmer was the QB that entered the game and won it for CU.

Very true although in a lot of cases you can make a pretty educated guess on how good a team is going to be. Take 2019 for example, South Dakota State, Fresno State, and Georgia Southern, for a team like the U, you can schedule games like that knowing you should have a really good shot of winning all three (obviously not a guarantee though as I am sure will be pointed out). On the flip side when you schedule a team like Oregon State you are rolling the dice in that they might be down like they are right now or they might be really good. Colorado and BYU fall in that category as well in that there really is no way to say right now what BYU will look like in 2020 (although based on recent track record they will probably be decent). No matter what though I like seeing series like these added over the creampuffs that also get added to every schedule.

You don't know what a team will be like next year.

You don't know what a team will be like next year.

That is true to a certain degree, Michigan State is an example of this, however most of the teams in the BIG are playing right around the level most expected outside of MSU. Some are a little better and some are a little worse but I would contend there have not been a lot of surprises in the conference to this point in the season.

As someone else pointed out though, BYU has been solid for quite a while now so when you schedule them you know chances are very good they are going to be competitive at the very least. On the flip side when you schedule a team like Georgia Southern you do it with the knowledge that it is an almost certain victory as long as your team doesn't lay an egg.

Top Bottom