BYU, Minnesota announce football series

Why is there a 5 year gap before we travel there?

I approve of these match-ups!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Solid addition, and much needed. The 2018 and 2019 non conference schedules are about as bad as they can get, and with Oregon State being terrible the 2017 schedule is pretty bad too.

Under Mendenhall BYU always had a pretty smart, tough team. With Sitake the new coach they're only 4-4, but their losses have come by a combined 8 points, and to some pretty solid teams, besides UCLA.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

This seems like a change of pace. I wonder if it is an internal initiative in the department or just the P5 requirement kicking in.

Very nice moves by the scheduling folks. Nice road trips too for the fans.

I'll always be bitter over the 1992 loss to Colorado. If I'm not mistaken, we led that game 20-0 before losing 21-20. I was an 18 year old college freshman at the time, and I was keeping tabs on that game while attending a party. When I found out we had lost, I almost tossed my cookies.

It's never too late for revenge.

Very nice moves by the scheduling folks. Nice road trips too for the fans.

Yep, no way of knowing how these teams will look by the time the game roles around but these are solid non-conf opponents.

I'll always be bitter over the 1992 loss to Colorado. If I'm not mistaken, we led that game 20-0 before losing 21-20. I was an 18 year old college freshman at the time, and I was keeping tabs on that game while attending a party. When I found out we had lost, I almost tossed my cookies.

It's never too late for revenge.

Gophers were up 17-0, then 17-14, then 20-14, and finally 20-21. The Gophers finished 2-9 and Colorado finished 9-2-1 and #13 in the country.

BYU is always a tough game because the majority of their players are two years older and therefore more mature physically and emotionally. They generally beat people up pretty good.

I wasn't at the game, but I remember listening to it on the radio. I was in the 9th grade. If I remember right, the Gophers tried a game winning FG that fell just short, and that the Gophers (Wacker) called a fake punt on like their own 15 or 20 yard line & it worked out; trying to pull out everything from the bag of tricks.

The Colorado series was old news, even if they hadn't added it to the website yet, but great addition in getting BYU.

Non-conference schedules now set through 2020:

2017 - Buffalo, at Oregon State, Middle Tennessee
2018 - New Mexico State, Fresno State, Miami-Ohio
2019 - South Dakota State, at Fresno State, Georgia Southern
2020 - New Mexico State, Miami-Ohio, BYU

This is the part that many people don't understand about the schedule and strength of schedule. This isn't the NFL where the schedule comes out 6 months before the season starts. Colorado and/or BYU could be top 10 teams when we play them or they could coming off back to back 2-win seasons.

The Colorado series was old news, even if they hadn't added it to the website yet, but great addition in getting BYU.

The series was old news but it took seven years for them to agree on new dates. It's gotta be a tough job to figure it all out (and then have a new coach say nope, don't want those games)

This is the part that many people don't understand about the schedule and strength of schedule. This isn't the NFL where the schedule comes out 6 months before the season starts. Colorado and/or BYU could be top 10 teams when we play them or they could coming off back to back 2-win seasons.

Very true although in a lot of cases you can make a pretty educated guess on how good a team is going to be. Take 2019 for example, South Dakota State, Fresno State, and Georgia Southern, for a team like the U, you can schedule games like that knowing you should have a really good shot of winning all three (obviously not a guarantee though as I am sure will be pointed out). On the flip side when you schedule a team like Oregon State you are rolling the dice in that they might be down like they are right now or they might be really good. Colorado and BYU fall in that category as well in that there really is no way to say right now what BYU will look like in 2020 (although based on recent track record they will probably be decent). No matter what though I like seeing series like these added over the creampuffs that also get added to every schedule.

Maybe the Mormon's could do a little presentation on keeping the woman to man ratio in a relationship at or above 1.

I wasn't at the game, but I remember listening to it on the radio. I was in the 9th grade. If I remember right, the Gophers tried a game winning FG that fell just short, and that the Gophers (Wacker) called a fake punt on like their own 15 or 20 yard line & it worked out; trying to pull out everything from the bag of tricks.

I tried hard to forget the Wacker years. Evidently really hard, because this one isn't ringing a bell and I was in school at the time. I guess the losses didn't really stand out. I remember beating Syracuse though...

Top Bottom