David Cobb signed to Bears practice squad today

How fantastic would it have been to have Cobb in the backfield last year? We don't burn his Redshirt for 10 carries as a Freshmen in 2011. We probably Redshirt Shannon Brooks last year- who knows.

I REALLY thought Cobb had a chance to make it in the NFL. One more year at the U might have changed the trajectory of his entire career. Hope he still makes it.

Cedric Thompson was signed to the Vikings practice squad yesterday.

Keep working hard and they could get another chance. Look at what Marquis Grey is doing right now.

How fantastic would it have been to have Cobb in the backfield last year? We don't burn his Redshirt for 10 carries as a Freshmen in 2011. We probably Redshirt Shannon Brooks last year- who knows.

I REALLY thought Cobb had a chance to make it in the NFL. One more year at the U might have changed the trajectory of his entire career. Hope he still makes it.

Yea it would've been great to have Cobb last year, but I seriously doubt that had any bearing on his lack of NFL success thus far. Cobb was awesome in 2014 and had nothing more to prove at the college level; don't see how another season with the Gophers would have helped his trajectory at all.

Yea it would've been great to have Cobb last year, but I seriously doubt that had any bearing on his lack of NFL success thus far. Cobb was awesome in 2014 and had nothing more to prove at the college level; don't see how another season with the Gophers would have helped his trajectory at all.

While I can kind of agree with the 1st part- totally disagree with the 2nd. You don't think coming back as a Senior and taking another step forward- as most players do- would not have raised his national profile and helped his draft status? You think he peaked in 2014? And the 'nothing more to prove' line might get a nod for most preposterous statement. This is a team sport...there was plenty more to prove.

While I can kind of agree with the 1st part- totally disagree with the 2nd. You don't think coming back as a Senior and taking another step forward- as most players do- would not have raised his national profile and helped his draft status? You think he peaked in 2014? And the 'nothing more to prove' line might get a nod for most preposterous statement. This is a team sport...there was plenty more to prove.

No. Cobb is slow for a NFL running back. Staying another year wouldn't have made him faster.

Cobb played four years. Blame Kill for burning his redshirt and then giving him one carry as a sophomore as much as anything else.

Cobb ran for over 1,600 yards in 2014, would've been very tough for him to better that performance.

As others said, staying another season wouldn't have made him any faster (which was his main issue in terms of NFL stock). It only would've increased the number of hits he's taken and his probability of getting injured which would have HURT his draft stock.

Cobb ran for over 1,600 yards in 2014, would've been very tough for him to better that performance.

As others said, staying another season wouldn't have made him any faster (which was his main issue in terms of NFL stock). It only would've increased the number of hits he's taken and his probability of getting injured which would have HURT his draft stock.

Again, I don't think he could have played another season. He played 5 games as a freshman and 4 as a sophomore and I don't recall him having a medical issue during his career that would have provided him with the opportunity to get a medical redshirt. I could be wrong about that angle, but he did play four seasons at the U.

Again, I don't think he could have played another season. He played 5 games as a freshman and 4 as a sophomore and I don't recall him having a medical issue during his career that would have provided him with the opportunity to get a medical redshirt. I could be wrong about that angle, but he did play four seasons at the U.

Poorly phrased. I meant, had Kill retained his redshirt season then Cobb would've had the option to stay another season.

I do not think you can blame Kill for anything regarding redshirts and carries with respect to Cobb. Cobb was a complete bust who did not impress anyone early in his career and he was the first to admit it. To say that Kill somehow should have been worried about these decisions back then is not realistic.

I do not think anyone would have expected Cobb to finally emerge the way he did. It was a shocking turn-around. His approach and work ethic may have regressed in the NFL, but as was pointed out, he is not all that fast our quick for the NFL. Then again Matt Asiata is on a NFL roster and actually gets carries.

I do not think you can blame Kill for anything regarding redshirts and carries with respect to Cobb. Cobb was a complete bust who did not impress anyone early in his career and he was the first to admit it. To say that Kill somehow should have been worried about these decisions back then is not realistic.

I do not think anyone would have expected Cobb to finally emerge the way he did. It was a shocking turn-around. His approach and work ethic may have regressed in the NFL, but as was pointed out, he is not all that fast our quick for the NFL. Then again Matt Asiata is on a NFL roster and actually gets carries.

I'm going to disagree a bit. I think Kill decided to burn a few redshirts in order to win a few games that ended up being meaningless in the whole scheme of things. Winning games and putting a solid foundation under a program sometimes don't always mesh. The soup was pretty thin when Kill arrived, but I always thought he gave out a few too many scholarships to a few too many low-ceiling players whom he thought he could coach up into a winning team. MAC mentality that I've carped about a lot. I'll give Kill a pass because he was saddled with a Herculean task. I don't excuse Claeys for doing the same thing. We shouldn't need to continue to burn redshirts and Claeys is doing just that. After five recruiting classes, we shouldn't still be this thin. Granted, player misbehavior has contributed to the problem, but I still don't see the program being as solid as I hoped it would be at this point.

I think Cobb's problems start with speed and continue with the fact he was never much of a blocker or receiver. It's funny, but as the running back position has become less prominent in the NFL, it's also become more specialized. Cobb doesn't stand out enough in any one area to make a mark as a pro. All this said, Cobb showed himself to be a very good college running back.

Top Bottom