Pitino media day presser notes - players developing, Springs staying, Coffey major

GopherLady

Reaction score
minutes...

here you go:

• Exciting time, get to move on to this year, we had a really good offseason. Practice has been going really well. We have a very tough schedule. Lafayette is really good, Texas Arlington is really good. When healthy, we've got the team to do it.
• On Akeem Springs - I said what is that tweet about? He said nothing, he was just messing around. We had a great talk today. He's been great since he stepped on. He's been a great team leader, he's about winning.
• Pitino heard about his brother's tweets, but hadn't seen them. Doesn't see any issue there.
• Sid asked me, if you had to decide today (on starting 5) - I should have stuck to what I usually do and not naming starters. Akeem got her in late August, Reggie had not practiced, once those guys catch up…Reggie hasn't played in a long time. There is going to be a pretty big adjustment period for him, he's in the Big 10, vs. Missouri Valley. I do believe both of those guys will be major parts of what we're doing.
• Perimeter shooting - that would be a concern, when Nate, I think Nate will make a jump just from playing in more games, Dupree has improved his shooting. Hurt is a great shooter, as is Gilbert. That's something that we really addressed. We shot a lot, we're really locked in on that, last year wasn't a great shooting team. He was playing really well before the suspension, he's taking the next step as a leader. He's been a consistent player, he's worked his butt off. People should talk about him as one of the better guards in the league, not sure why they aren't.
• I think the biggest thing is we want our fans to be proud of what we're doing. Play as hard as you can, take care of your business on and off the court.
• More than anything, to be honest, I'm looking at Louisiana Lafayette, Texas Arlington won 24 games last year. We need to be ready for the non-conference. I think it's the toughest non conference.
• Fill in for Davonte? He provided great length, and you never took a step back in length. We may have to play a little bit smaller. Ahmad Gilbert, Hurt, they'll have opportunities now.
• Back up Point? Dupree
• Coffey - he's made impact in a lot of places, he's a tremendous passer, a better defender than I thought he'd be. He's been taught well, IQ, work ethic. I worried if physically he'd be ready, but he's ready. He's going to be play major minutes. He hasn't been getting banged around too much, he's put on some weight, he's making contact.
• Reggie did 15 minutes of contact yesterday, and was really good. I think he's so eager to get back on the court, let's not rush it, let's be patient.
• Bakary's role - blocking everything, dunking everything, triple doubles…no…his body looks great, he's been playing really hard. It's about learning to play defense without fouling, getting more clean catches. His low post moves have gotten better.
• Curry - he's talented, really really talented. Everyone talks about Amir, but Michael and Eric are really talented. He can rebound at a high rate, terrific passer, he's going to be a major factor, excited about Michael too. Ready physically. He can guard the 4 and the 5. He's got great versatility.
• I think there's some ownership to showing people what we're all about. They're really eager to improve the image of this program. As tough as an off season like this is for me, it's tough for them. You've got to hold them accountable. We did a lot of things, bringing speakers in, community service, they did well in the classroom.
• Conroy - he's been great, he's got different drills. Chemistry is extremely important to me with the staff, and he's been gelling. Brings a different voice. I think they all compliment each other. He's got fresh ideas more than anything.
• On Sharp - He's working hard, really good offensively, good slasher, good size, working hard to get his conditioning going and improving in every aspect more than anything.
• On Murphy - Murph, no one picked you all conference, that's got to bother you. You produced, take that next step as a player. Finishing around the basket. I think he's got a big chip on his shoulder, that's good. Be confident, don't be arrogant, think big. It starts with Murphy for sure.

Thanks GL! Great stuff- as always Pitino is informative. I can't wait to see the squad play.

Mike Grimm didn't ask Springs about the tweet, but Springs seemed to be in good spirits during the interview. I hope Pitino is right in that it's really a non-issue.

Top Bottom