My Theory: Tracy might step down after season

gophers141

Reaction score
This is purely speculative but I think Tracy may just step down once this season is over.

For those of you who attended the game Saturday you may have noticed that for 90% of the game he stands 5 yards off the sideline not talking to anyone or doing any coaching. The only time I saw him speak to a player was when Carpenter had a kickoff go out of bounds.

He's already made comments to the media that there are a lot of extra responsibilities that come with being a coach.

I think he could resign once the season is over and go back to being an Xs and Os DC and enjoy it more. He just shows no enthusiasm with the players or coaches and barely gets in the refs ear for a bad call.

I don't buy your logic of why, but I do think it is a possibility.

Even in the corporate world, good workers can get promoted up to managers, then decide managing people is not the route they wanted to take. They are much happier and better at a smaller, more specialized role.

Part of my reason is based on his sideline behavior, yes. Coaches want to coach and he shows zero interest in any player or coach interaction during the game.

I tend to watch the coaches along the sidelines when I'm at the games. I think Claeys is more involved / into the game than you make it sound. Also , Jerry played it very similarly, he let the other coaches do their job.

Part of my reason is based on his sideline behavior, yes. Coaches want to coach and he shows zero interest in any player or coach interaction during the game.

Everyone manages differently.

Frankly, getting into the ear of a ref or a player during the game does little most of the time. Coaching happens during the week or at half time. This is why head coaches have assistant coaches- to do the game management during the game.

Do I think Claeys makes it through the offseason- no, I don't. But it won't be because of how he interacts on the sideline. It will be measured by how prepared his players are.

I would judge Claeys much more on how he coaches during the week than his demeanor or position on game day. The engineer of a locomotive doesn't shovel coal into the firebox or take tickets in the passenger cars. He's responsible for things you don't see.

Watch Michigan. Harbaugh demands discipline. Michigan didn't/never let up after getting a large lead early. Respectful discipline creates great teams.... not like that idiot vikings coach a few years back (sorry I can't remember his name) He didn't have the players respect.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I agree with the OP. Remember the game when it was cold and he was wearing a hat and gloves? He looked like he didn't even want to be there!

I agree with the OP. Remember the game when it was cold and he was wearing a hat and gloves? He looked like he didn't even want to be there!

I know! He wasn't even eating a Dilly Bar!

Watch Michigan. Harbaugh demands discipline. Michigan didn't/never let up after getting a large lead early. Respectful discipline creates great teams.... not like that idiot vikings coach a few years back (sorry I can't remember his name) He didn't have the players respect.

Mike Tice?

I listened into the headsets during the game and can confirm that he doesn't say anything to the other coaches, it's purely for looks. Clearly doesn't want to be a head coach.

Unrelated to Claeys and his sideline body language...

I'm not a huge fan of rah-rah, high-strung, emotional coaches like (e.g. Bo Pelini)

I like calm, cerebral, "I'm thinking five steps ahead you" coaches like Belichick and Dantonio. There's always a few position coaches on these types of teams that can play the role of Chief Meathead Motivator.

My two cents.

Plus, he's overweight, and that matters to a lot of people for some reason. Clearly going to step down as soon as humanly possible.

I listened into the headsets during the game and can confirm that he doesn't say anything to the other coaches, it's purely for looks. Clearly doesn't want to be a head coach.

I heard the headsets are not even turned on.

ESPN article seemed to think otherwise based on Michigan's perceived lack of effort after getting the lead on Illinois this week.

ESPN article seemed to think otherwise based on Michigan's perceived lack of effort after getting the lead on Illinois this week.
If Michigan was in the SEC their opinion would be different, just sayin.... Michigan's players focus is clearly better than the Gophers players focus.... that is coaching...

Plus, he's overweight, and that matters to a lot of people for some reason. Clearly going to step down as soon as humanly possible.

If he loses a bunch of weight and is more animated and vocal on the sidelines similar to other great hall-of-fame-caliber NFL football coaches like Bill Belichick & Tony Dungy, and hall-of-fame-caliber college coaches like Bill Snyder and Frank Beamer, I'm sure he'll get the necessary confidence to want to continue as coach.

The title of this thread is misleading. I clicked on it because I thought maybe Claeys has hinted he might step down.

If he loses a bunch of weight and is more animated and vocal on the sidelines similar to other great hall-of-fame-caliber NFL football coaches like Bill Belichick & Tony Dungy, and hall-of-fame-caliber college coaches like Bill Snyder and Frank Beamer, I'm sure he'll get the necessary confidence to want to continue as coach.

Nice list Josh. Bud Grant is another coach that, in today's internet world, would have been ran out of town during his first year. Not only was he stoic, he went 3-8-3, .273 winning percentage in that first season!!!!!

Oh course he wasn't fat...:rolleyes:

Who on earth is orchestrating the remove Claeys as a coach crap. I support Claeys. I think the fact that his record is above .500 as a head coach right now says something. I think we can build on this. We will make a bowl this year. What more can you ask in a coach than what he is doing. If he is stoic he must be a good son of Norway. I can identify with that! Nothing wrong with being stoic. I'm stoic. More people should be stoic! You people should be stoic.

Who on earth is orchestrating the remove Claeys as a coach crap. I support Claeys. I think the fact that his record is above .500 as a head coach right now says something. I think we can build on this. We will make a bowl this year. What more can you ask in a coach than what he is doing. If he is stoic he must be a good son of Norway. I can identify with that! Nothing wrong with being stoic. I'm stoic. More people should be stoic! You people should be stoic.

If you were really stoic, you wouldn't use the exclamation marks!!!!!

Who on earth is orchestrating the remove Claeys as a coach crap.

Whoever it is they are really passionate because the suggestions for when to fire Claeys and what kind of success he needs to keep his job are mind-boggling.

For example, "anything less than 9 wins and he's gone." Are we supposed to take that seriously?

The only thing I thought was the influence on defense without our DC in the press box. Sawvel is on the sideline. Claeys used to be in the press box. Just pointing it out.

Communication

Everyone manages differently.

Frankly, getting into the ear of a ref or a player during the game does little most of the time. Coaching happens during the week or at half time. This is why head coaches have assistant coaches- to do the game management during the game.

Do I think Claeys makes it through the offseason- no, I don't. But it won't be because of how he interacts on the sideline. It will be measured by how prepared his players are.

You can be a very effective coach without yelling. Encouraging a player during the game can be very helpful. If a coach says to player at the next practice remember when.... player has no clue what the heck you are talking about but you do the sandwich thing during the game and say "You are making so many good plays out there today...fun! ... Hey, on that 3rd down play there, if you could have come harder with a tighter angle I think you get there...trust your instincts...play fast..you with me? (Maybe they ask a question?...maybe now they really do understand what you want them to do) Cool, You're playing great!" The result, then you see improvement....followup on things during the game you emphasized in practice....build relationships with your people. Let somebody know they are doing it right! We don't play confident! Trusting your assistants is nice but when the head coach is talking it better just naturally carry a lot more authority, importance, impact to the players and therefore get better results. They listen more intently. A head coach not saying anything is a bunch of lost opportunity. You got players wondering how they are doing or somebody who only points out mistakes and it's a long day. Coaching happens during the week...but players need positive reinforcement on game day.
And yes, there are head coaches who don't talk, there are head coaches who yell and are successful. I just like the Pete Carrol, Tony Dungy, Dabo Swinney approach, or even the tough love Mike Zimmer, Nick Saban, Bill Belichek approach. It's a pretty big handicap if you don't communicate to your team during a game...or only talk to one guy on a headset.

Remember, where the starting line was...with better game day head coaching we beat Michigan 100%. Where is Michigan now? Where are the Gophers? At that point we were the better team. Now, each week we make the same mistakes and add new mistakes each game, plus we have better players overall now than we had last year. That's not effective coaching. Forget the scores, watch the game....our schedule might be the easiest in 25 years. Are we getting better? How do we look? How does Michigan look? You can argue the Michigan advantages...I'll argue Harbaugh works harder and more effectively at it and his players have more fun and that's why they play better.

Whoever it is they are really passionate because the suggestions for when to fire Claeys and what kind of success he needs to keep his job are mind-boggling.

For example, "anything less than 9 wins and he's gone." Are we supposed to take that seriously?

Claeys said himself this was the best team since he's been there and expected to win 10 games and compete for a B1G West title.

Now he says they are very young and are rebuilding, which is what Kill said virtually every year he was there. At some point you expect to be experienced and actually win the B1G West.

Top Bottom