Scrimmage today

Seems more athletic - they should outboard most teams - Let Mason shoot all the 3's and the rest will drive it to the hole. Liked McBrayer and even Bakary - who will better off the bench this year - spelling Lynch. THINK THEY WILL BE 500 IN Big 10

I'm hearing very little from our scrimmage reporters on Springs. Seems he has to be a first or second scoring option (with Mason) when we need buckets. Did he see much playing time? Impressions?

I'm hearing very little from our scrimmage reporters on Springs. Seems he has to be a first or second scoring option (with Mason) when we need buckets. Did he see much playing time? Impressions?

Pitino was on WCCO today (sorry I was driving while listening so I couldn't take notes) but he did pump the breaks a bit on Springs based on the last few weeks of practice. He said he has great passion and work ethic but needs to learn the system better.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks for the response Bleed. Since this edition lacks reliable shooters/shot creators, Springs is an important piece. Otherwise, I'm concerned about the ability of this team in a half court offense. Time will tell, but I think Coffey's ability to exploits match-up difficulties, take the initiative and penetrate, dump off and/or finish, will also be key. Hope he takes the initiative.

But they don't play a lick of defense. They might score 95 but they'll give up 100.

I wouldn't put any stock in the women's scrimmage. They were all smiling, laughing during the scrimmage not really trying. It was like the NBA all star game and not a real practice. Stollings barely said anything. Just something for the fans. The men's scrimmage was like an actual practice with Pitino actually coaching.

Thanks for the response Bleed. Since this edition lacks reliable shooters/shot creators, Springs is an important piece. Otherwise, I'm concerned about the ability of this team in a half court offense. Time will tell, but I think Coffey's ability to exploits match-up difficulties, take the initiative and penetrate, dump off and/or finish, will also be key. Hope he takes the initiative.

People will clog the lane against us and we could struggle in half court.

Our length on defense will be our biggest offensive weapon I believe.

Watched both scrimmages. My personal opinion of each.

Women's scrimmage was awful and a joke. There was no structure at all. No defense. Throwing alley-oops off the backboard to each other, which they completed about 1 in 6. They were joking around, being lazy, and not accomplishing anything. To top that off, they had a brutal choreographed dance at the end. Honestly felt like they spend more time on their dancing than basketball. After they were done, my wife turned to me and said, "I would not pay to come see them again."

Men's scrimmage was a lot better to watch. They ran their different sets and plays. Everyone hustled and played their rear ends off. Coaches were coaching and showing to the people in attendance that every minute of practice matters. Defense and rebounding will be much improved over last year. Mason, Dupree and Coffey can all handle the ball well. Springs looked a little lost, but he hasn't been with the team long enough to get comfortable. Bakary actually looked improved and not as lost, hopefully he takes a step forward. Murph is Murph, and always fun to watch. Really looking forward to see what Curry can do once he gets settled in. He should be a rebounding machine. Coffey will find the open guys, which will help open things up offensively. Shooting was very spotty, but that is to be expected early on, and when even the guys at the end of the bench are playing full minutes. Was good to see that these guys seem to really care about getting better. Looking forward to the season!

Watched both scrimmages. My personal opinion of each.

Women's scrimmage was awful and a joke. There was no structure at all. No defense. Throwing alley-oops off the backboard to each other, which they completed about 1 in 6. They were joking around, being lazy, and not accomplishing anything. To top that off, they had a brutal choreographed dance at the end. Honestly felt like they spend more time on their dancing than basketball. After they were done, my wife turned to me and said, "I would not pay to come see them again."

Men's scrimmage was a lot better to watch. They ran their different sets and plays. Everyone hustled and played their rear ends off. Coaches were coaching and showing to the people in attendance that every minute of practice matters. Defense and rebounding will be much improved over last year. Mason, Dupree and Coffey can all handle the ball well. Springs looked a little lost, but he hasn't been with the team long enough to get comfortable. Bakary actually looked improved and not as lost, hopefully he takes a step forward. Murph is Murph, and always fun to watch. Really looking forward to see what Curry can do once he gets settled in. He should be a rebounding machine. Coffey will find the open guys, which will help open things up offensively. Shooting was very spotty, but that is to be expected early on, and when even the guys at the end of the bench are playing full minutes. Was good to see that these guys seem to really care about getting better. Looking forward to the season!
The women will make the dance. The men won't. Explain that to your wife.

Yeah, I would think Mason, Coffey, Murp, and Lynch are locks with either Springs or McBrayer at the 2.

Dupree should start because he's the 3rd best player on the team. However they don't have a backup PG. It's possible though that either he or Mason plays most of the game, rotating PG duties.

Starters likely ?:
Mason
Springs
Coffey
Murphy
Lynch

On WCCO yesterday morning Pitino said if season started today the starters would be:

Mason
McBrayer
Coffey
Murphy
Bakary

Added that Lynch could potentially move in to the starting 5, but added he will take some time as he hasn't played in almost 2 years.

First of all, you have no idea how each team will do. Second, I was just stating our experience from being at the scrimmage. Their lack of effort, and terrible brand of basketball left a bad taste in our mouth. That could have also been the popcorn.

Couldn't tell, Coffey guarded him most of the scrimmage and Springs just didn't get any shots, Coffey did the same thing against Trent in the state tournament last year, Coffey plays good defense, decently quick, and with his length he can really bother a shooter.

I feel better about the men's chances than the women's chances right now. Like the talent and versatility that the men have and think Pitino and the staff will do a very good job with this team. I have no confidence that Stollings will get her team to actually play some defense and rebound as that doesn't seem to be much of a priority for her so far in her career. Like Wagner and the transfer PG Bell but not sure how their bigs will fare again.

People will clog the lane against us and we could struggle in half court.

Our length on defense will be our biggest offensive weapon I believe.

Outside of last year, Pitino's teams have emphasized creating lots of steals. I would guess last year's deviation has something to do with just being bad all around.

National steals rankings:

2014-15 - #6 Minnesota
2013-14 - #10 Minnesota
2012-13 - #19 Florida International

Would be great to see those steal numbers go back up again this year, and it seems fairly likely they will.

Ruppert, friendly wager

Ruppert, a friendly wager.

I'll say the Gopher men have a better winning percentage in B1G games (men play 18, women 16) than the women. Your choice, do you want to include their respective B1G tournament results, or only the regular season?

If I win, you must abstain from making any comments about Wisconsin or Iowa players/fans/coaches/citizens (dead or alive).

If you win, I won't make any more derogatory comments about Stollings and the matador defense her teams have played so far.

Deal?

Ruppert, a friendly wager.

I'll say the Gopher men have a better winning percentage in B1G games (men play 18, women 16) than the women. Your choice, do you want to include their respective B1G tournament results, or only the regular season?

If I win, you must abstain from making any comments about Wisconsin or Iowa players/fans/coaches/citizens (dead or alive).

If you win, I won't make any more derogatory comments about Stollings and the matador defense her teams have played so far.

Deal?

That's like asking Trump not to use the words tremendous, disaster, or loser.

Top Bottom