Scrimmage today

GophersInIowa

Reaction score
Anyone go to the scrimmage after the football game?

I've been waiting for someone to post about it. I wish I could have gone. Marcus and Ryan James each had a handful of tweets about it if you wanna check those out.

From what I remember, poor shooting all around, 12-43 between both teams. Mason and McBrayer were the leading scorers. Curry got 7 rebounds in 14 minutes. Gilbert, McBrayer, and Coffey all hit a 3, Mason hit two 3's and got 4 assists. RJ says all 3 freshmen were active and passed well, high IQ. Konate finished on a couple post feeds. Lynch didn't play but should be ready in a week. Diedhiou scored and got a few rebounds.

That's really just a summary of tweets. Hopefully someone who actually went can tell us more.

per Marcus:

-- The Gold team defeated the Maroon team 22-15 in a 14-minute scrimmage open to fans Saturday afternoon at Williams Arena after the homecoming football game. Junior guard Nate Mason led the Gold with eight points. Sophomore guard Dupree McBrayer had six points for the Maroon.

-- The Gophers women's basketball team also held a scrimmage before the men on Saturday. Junior guard Carlie Wagner had 20 points to lead the Gold team to a 52-44 victory against the Maroon team.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-reggie-lynch-could-return-to-full-contact-in-a-week/398050041/

Go Gophers!!

52-44 in 14 minutes for the women sounds ridiculous. Combination of great shooting and poor defense?

52-44 in 14 minutes for the women sounds ridiculous. Combination of great shooting and poor defense?

Literally no defense in the women's game. Took turns shooting uncontested 3's and layups. Men's game they actually played and hence why the scoring was lower. I was impressed with mason, mcbrayer and curry. Tough to take much out of the scrimmage being it was only 14 minutes.

Literally no defense in the women's game. Took turns shooting uncontested 3's and layups. Men's game they actually played and hence why the scoring was lower. I was impressed with mason, mcbrayer and curry. Tough to take much out of the scrimmage being it was only 14 minutes.
Was Curry playing the 4 or 5?

The Women play a fun brand of offensive basketball. I have often wondered why they played such poor defense in the few games that I watched last year. It was evident in today's scrimmage that they are not challenged to play any defense. There were several instances where a potential defensive player ran out of the way to make it easier for the offense. Certainly a head scratcher.

The men were more aggressive defensively. The offense was certainly not a finished product and the shooting was very poor. Hopfefully there is significant improvement before the games start.

Heres what I remember

Coffey had a nice 3 and I really liked his handle for a 6-8 guy. Missed a couple others
Hurt made a 3, missed one or two
Dupree had a nice J at the elbow, missed a few other shots. His style reminded me of Lavine offensively a little
BK had a cleanup dunk but missed a shot on a post up
Curry missed a few jumpers, mostly from the baseline
Mason had a D'angelo Russell-esque 3 if I remember correctly
Gaston missed his two FT's

Overall, hard to get a good impression of individual players with such a small sample.

Brutal scrimmage. Not gonna sugarcoat it, I saw little to be optimistic about. Terrible shooting by both teams- someone said shooting was under 30%. Mason, McBrayer, JM looked ok and the guys that will be counted on to play a ton of minutes and score. Mason looked sig quicker than anyone on the floor. Curry and Coffey looked athletic but a little lost, and neither shot well. Bigs were awful per usual, but Lynch did not play
I know it's an extremely small sample, but not sure how this team wins 7 B10 games.

I was there as well and I agree it was not pretty, but I also think that's to be expected to some extent. You could tell Coffey and Hurt were both jittery for first time playing in front of home fans (Coffey had a great steal and somehow didn't finish a close to uncontested lay up at other end / they both appeared out of sync with offensive flow). those things will get hammered out through course of preseason I hope. Thought Mason and McBrayer looked good, Murph was his normal self (still struggling with the bunnies) and Curry looks like he could be most dominant player on team. In terms of 7 wins, I think it's really going to depend on whether the freshman can assimilate.

I would not put too much weight on 15 min of scrimmage time.
Gophers will be improved this year and will get better as the season progresses barring injury or mischief.
Hurt will play more than anticipated because he can shoot.

Les's criticisms are my biggest fear going into the season. This just feels like a tubby smith type year where we have a bunch of athletic potential but lack the depth and shooting talent to do anything in the big 10.

Now that said. A tubby smith year would be awesome this year coming off of last years bs.

The men were excruciatingly terrible. Simply can't shoot. The women should be really good. Can shoot the ball!!! Kaposi, Tinjum, Wagner, Bell, Starr all looked good. Will score alot of points.

I would not put too much weight on 15 min of scrimmage time.
Good advice! Hard to think playing for 15 minutes - after homecoming football game so no set start time - is telling anything at all. I wouldn't even call this a scrimmage - just a free sneak peek.
I'm looking forward to getting back and seeing what's shaking with this team and its new and returning players. I refuse to start a season with fears and concerns. Plenty of time for that later!

The men were excruciatingly terrible. Simply can't shoot. The women should be really good. Can shoot the ball!!! Kaposi, Tinjum, Wagner, Bell, Starr all looked good. Will score alot of points.

But they don't play a lick of defense. They might score 95 but they'll give up 100.

But they don't play a lick of defense. They might score 95 but they'll give up 100.

There defense will be better because they're quicker and faster than last year. From baseline to baseline Wagner was the fastest player last year. This year she is 4th or 5th. The post defense will improve with the addition of the Iowa State transfer joining mid-term

How are you extrapolating so much from a 14 scrimmage? Especially when it comes to shooting. I mean the most a player got to shoot was what 5 shots?

I mean if we didn't miss a shot would we be saying how great of shooters the are? No because 14 minutes doesn't tell you anything.

How are you extrapolating so much from a 14 scrimmage? Especially when it comes to shooting. I mean the most a player got to shoot was what 5 shots?

I mean if we didn't miss a shot would we be saying how great of shooters the are? No because 14 minutes doesn't tell you anything.

You can't tell from 14 minutes, but it would have been nice to hit a couple more than they did, the shooting was beyond bad, would have liked to have seen Springs take a few but Coffey with his length really didn't give him a chance to shoot.

Pitino was miked up the second 7 minutes, his commentary was very interesting, really working hard to get them to run which they seemed hesitant to do.

Brutal scrimmage. Not gonna sugarcoat it, I saw little to be optimistic about. Terrible shooting by both teams- someone said shooting was under 30%. Mason, McBrayer, JM looked ok and the guys that will be counted on to play a ton of minutes and score. Mason looked sig quicker than anyone on the floor. Curry and Coffey looked athletic but a little lost, and neither shot well. Bigs were awful per usual, but Lynch did not play I know it's an extremely small sample, but not sure how this team wins 7 B10 games.

Good to see the Gopher Hole in mid season form. ?

Is it odd that we don't have lil jones as a guest at this game or any of the recent football games?

I was at both scrimmages and I enjoyed it..two different approaches from the men and women..

Womens ... there was no defense or coaching done in this scrimmage just threw out the ball and just having fun ... at least 4 layups they tried throwing if off glasses hard to girl following up for lay up..

More athletes alittle deeper and some nice talent. Don't expect D to be any better.

Men's ... definitely noticeably longer, more athletic all over the floor. These guys got after on both sides the floor with Pitino getting after the guys some and the players going hard at each other.

The 3 freshman have great basketball IQ something not always seen previous seasons..
This team is a lot deeper this season. They did some pressing.. so looks like they might get back to this finally.
Mcbrayer looks better, stronger
Curry looks like a man , big , long,
Murphy looks even better.. attempt a 3 even ..
Springs a smart player should help all around
Coffey is long but skinny ... don't see much happening from the scoring part but everything else this kid has. Missed a few wide open 3's

Hurt had a couple nice passes from a high low standpoint. Missed a few 3's ... needs to work on foot speed on defensive end to guard wings.

Still not a dominant score but more guys that can average 8 PPG

Very excited for this team.

Top Bottom