Use Wisconsin's Model

Good list.
What are your thoughts on the next coach?
How much are we able to pay?

almost more important than the head guys salary is the pool for assistants - being able to throw high 6 figures at a coordinator greatly changes the quality you'll get. also a lot of the recruiting dynamos are younger assistants who might be coaching a position group but punch well above their weight in the ability to reel in high ranked recruits.

Good list.
What are your thoughts on the next coach?
How much are we able to pay?

I don't understand what you're trying to get at with this line of questioning. Are you trying to get someone to throw out a big number so you can take it back to your buddies at Buckyville? Then you can all laugh at those "stupid Goofer fans" and their delusions of grandeur.

Coaches salaries - some interesting numbers here:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

~ 2.5 million seems to be the bottom line that most power 5 schools are paying. That's what Kill was getting paid before he resigned. It is interesting that the B1G has the highest paid coach, but also has the most coaches below the 2.5 million line with 6.

The SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, have 4 coaches combined below 2.5 million.

stop impinging motives and look at things objectively:

-we don't have top tier facilities (and i would call our facilities 'good' when the athletes village etc are completed but certainly not elite)
-we have no history of winning consistently in two generations
-we have lukewarm to average fan/booster support (maybe below average booster support) for a school of our size, influence, and wealth
-our weather is objectively ****
-we dont have a scheme innovator who is breaking the mold to give us an advantage (leach, oregon speed offense, VT beamerball)
-our state produces a much lower amount of D1 recruits relative to its population and a dearth of skill positions

look at the stuff here and think what is correctable in the short to medium term 3-7 years and what needs time/success to be corrected. and that doesnt mean necessarily bringing our level up to what others are at, this would mean going beyond to a point where it is an advantage to us.

stop impinging motives and look at things objectively:

-we don't have top tier facilities (and i would call our facilities 'good' when the athletes village etc are completed but certainly not elite)
-we have no history of winning consistently in two generations
-we have lukewarm to average fan/booster support (maybe below average booster support) for a school of our size, influence, and wealth
-our weather is objectively ****
-we dont have a scheme innovator who is breaking the mold to give us an advantage (leach, oregon speed offense, VT beamerball)
-our state produces a much lower amount of D1 recruits relative to its population and a dearth of skill positions

look at the stuff here and think what is correctable in the short to medium term 3-7 years and what needs time/success to be corrected. and that doesnt mean necessarily bringing our level up to what others are at, this would mean going beyond to a point where it is an advantage to us.

Ooh, so close, I'm sorry. The word you were looking for here is impugning. Impugning. So close, but thanks anyway for playing and my assistant over there at the end of the stage will have some lovely parting gifts for you as you make your way out.

I think what TruDat is trying to get at is this:

If the Gophers want a "big-time" coach, they are going to have to shell out a big-time salary. And as westcoastgopher pointed out, given some of the history and/or perceived deficiencies at MN, the Gophers might have to over-pay to bring in a big-time coach and a quality group of assistants. Bottom line - you get what you pay for. In today's market, if you're only willing to pay a coach 1.4-million, that is going to limit the pool of candidates.

I can envision a lot of flak from the media and "fans" if the Gophers brought in Big-time Coach X, and paid him 4 or 5-million a year. But, that might be necessary IF the U of MN decides it is serious about upgrading the FB program.

Ooh, so close, I'm sorry. The word you were looking for here is impugning. Impugning. So close, but thanks anyway for playing and my assistant over there at the end of the stage will have some lovely parting gifts for you as you make your way out.

so i take it thats a 'this response was way to real for me and i cant handle it' kind of moment - if clicking the wrong vowel (coincidentally they are next to each other on the keyboard so it could've been a *gasp* mistake) disqualifies or makes untrue what i've said in your eyes you really are a weak troll man.

I think what TruDat is trying to get at is this:

If the Gophers want a "big-time" coach, they are going to have to shell out a big-time salary. And as westcoastgopher pointed out, given some of the history and/or perceived deficiencies at MN, the Gophers might have to over-pay to bring in a big-time coach and a quality group of assistants. Bottom line - you get what you pay for. In today's market, if you're only willing to pay a coach 1.4-million, that is going to limit the pool of candidates.

I can envision a lot of flak from the media and "fans" if the Gophers brought in Big-time Coach X, and paid him 4 or 5-million a year. But, that might be necessary IF the U of MN decides it is serious about upgrading the FB program.

its not even necessarily an easy shell out big bucks for coaches --> get success kind of situation. people in minnesota paradoxically want to do everything on the cheap, when in reality it would be to our benefit to push beyond what the average is in some areas to give us advantages.

the prevailing wisdom in regards to gopher fandom right now seems to be 'hire an under the radar type guy (on a bargain salary) who can teach player development and recruit southern players to come up here for a good education' - well news flash that strategy hasnt exactly yielded great results for the past 30-40 years so my question is 'why are we still doing it?'

rubes like dpodoll represent an old way of thinking, and im thankful that his type is being exposed for what they really are. people are waking up and realizing what it takes to field a competitive and successful p5 program

Serious question(s) i would love one of the usual suspects to answer: what are some of the advantages gopher football has over other western division programs? other B1G programs? programs from other p5 conferences? everything about the institution and city is on the table - im interested to see the flood of responses...

so i take it thats a 'this response was way to real for me and i cant handle it' kind of moment - if clicking the wrong vowel (coincidentally they are next to each other on the keyboard so it could've been a *gasp* mistake) disqualifies or makes untrue what i've said in your eyes you really are a weak troll man.

Yeah, nice try. Man up and admit that your attempt to look smart failed miserably.

I'm not responding to the "meat":rolleyes: of your post because the discussion of who/how to hire for our next coach is patently absurd when the sitting head coach has been in his position for 13 games.

I don't understand what you're trying to get at with this line of questioning. Are you trying to get someone to throw out a big number so you can take it back to your buddies at Buckyville? Then you can all laugh at those "stupid Goofer fans" and their delusions of grandeur.
I didn't think the questions were that difficult. Of you like Claeys then fine he is your guy. I don't. I think we can do better. I was just trying to get other Gopher fans thoughts and to try to have a conversation about coaching. You seem to just avoid the question anddiscussion all together. Fine but let the rest of us post about it without your useless feedback.

I didn't think the questions were that difficult. Of you like Claeys then fine he is your guy. I don't. I think we can do better. I was just trying to get other Gopher fans thoughts and to try to have a conversation about coaching. You seem to just avoid the question anddiscussion all together. Fine but let the rest of us post about it without your useless feedback.

Nah, I'll continue to comment about Becky fans and their trolling as much as I please.

Nah, I'll continue to comment about Becky fans and their trolling as much as I please.
Well what do you think is trollish about the two questions I asked?
I have already put a reasonable response to my own question in this thread. You just seem to be more interested in being McCarthy on a commie hunt.

Yeah, nice try. Man up and admit that your attempt to look smart failed miserably.

I'm not responding to the "meat":rolleyes: of your post because the discussion of who/how to hire for our next coach is patently absurd when the sitting head coach has been in his position for 13 games.

man up and admit it was a mistake? firstly gotta laugh at your definition of masculinity (whats more 21st century male than arguing on a message board right?) and secondly, yea i admit i mistyped, what do you want? continuing to deflect and obfuscate doesn't make your opinion more valid or mine less so.

secondly, im talking something bigger than a coach, im talking about program values and direction. have i been thrilled by claey's performance so far? no, we lost a close game that we should've won on the road, and i dont see anything particularly outstanding about the 'best team' in the kill/claeys era thus far. is his performance a firable offense? no, he deserves to a chance to prove his new hires (to shore up the offensive line and qbs) will be effective - i give him immense credit for identifying obvious deficiencies and making moves to fix them (whether they were good hires remains to be seen).

stop thinking so small about the program and ask yourself the following questions: what do you want the minnesota football program to be known for? and what kind of culture/organization do we have to build to get there? chewing on those two might be mind straining for you but i promise it will be rewarding than nit picking grammar

yea didnt think so dpo - substantive isnt exactly your m.o. on gh

0b5c6673bc802c9656c549a7747dfdc4.jpg

Back to football. dpo do you want Claeys as the head coach next year?

Top Bottom