Use Wisconsin's Model

Mr. Gopher

Reaction score
Something I've never understood: Why don't we take a look at what Wisconsin does and replicate it here? They are our closest Big Ten peer. I always felt like Glen Mason did a great job of matching up/replicating what Wisconsin did and whether you admit it or not, that was the last time we sold out huge crowds and were regularly competitive in the league.

They sell out most of their games
Their in stadium atmosphere is electric (we need to do something like Jump Around)
Regularly beat Iowa and Nebraska (and us)
Regularly host College Game Day
Play and often beat high profile teams (Bama, USC, LSU, Auburn etc.)
Have an awesome game day environment

I don't get what's so hard about hiring some people from the Wisconsin staff and basically saying that's what we want to try and create up here in Minnesota.

So what is their model? Win a lot of games and have great crowds?

I always felt like Glen Mason did a great job of matching up/replicating what Wisconsin did and whether you admit it or not, that was the last time we sold out huge crowds and were regularly competitive in the league.

A) Glen Mason went 2-8 against Wisconsin
B) Glen Mason lost by an average of 23.6 points in five trips to Madison
C) Glen Mason went 32-48 in Big Ten games

We've have one from the Becky staff, Bart Miller. Maybe we could get Aranda from LSU if TC is fired.

It never ceases to amaze me how the Mason years are viewed by some as a Golden Age of Gopher Football. I agree with you 100% Maximus.

Something I've never understood: Why don't we take a look at what Wisconsin does and replicate it here? They are our closest Big Ten peer. I always felt like Glen Mason did a great job of matching up/replicating what Wisconsin did and whether you admit it or not, that was the last time we sold out huge crowds and were regularly competitive in the league.

Their in stadium atmosphere is electric (we need to do something like Jump Around)

I don't get what's so hard about hiring some people from the Wisconsin staff and basically saying that's what we want to try and create up here in Minnesota.

Wait until you see it in action against Nebraska in a week!

I think to follow that model you have to sleep with farm animals. That doesn't interest me.

What a surprise, the Wisconsin troll is telling us that the path to success is to be more like Wisconsin.

We'll just hire away Wisconsin's entire athletic department and have them yell at our players to win more games, and we'll take hostages and force them to go to football games to get our attendance up, and we'll just make College Gameday come here, ya know, because we want them to.

It never ceases to amaze me how the Mason years are viewed by some as a Golden Age of Gopher Football. I agree with you 100% Maximus.

I'd take those years back in a heartbeat! His 2003 Sun Bowl team that got screwed out of a better bowl would have crushed Kill's Citrus Bowl team. Mason made me feel we could beat anyone. He beat every Big 10 team. He won at Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State. I am amazed at how people still rip him when we haven't come close to replicating his success. Gopher football had not been in a bowl game in about 13 years when he got us there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd take those years back in a heartbeat! His 2003 Sun Bowl team that got screwed out of a better bowl would have crushed Kill's Citrus Bowl team. Mason made me feel we could beat anyone. He beat every Big 10 team. He won at Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and Michigan State. I am amazed at how people still rip him when we haven't come close to replicating his success. Gopher football had not been in a bowl game in about 13 years when he got us there.

Wasn't it harder to make a bowl game in the 80s and early 90s?

Please just stop. I am a big fan of Mason but he has been gone for almost ten years so lets give it a rest. We need to look towards the future.

The most wins registered with Holtz and Gutey was six. Yes it was harder. But it was harder for Mason than now.

The most wins registered with Holtz and Gutey was six. Yes it was harder. But it was harder for Mason than now.

but now there are 9 conference games. Big difference.

Please just stop. I am a big fan of Mason but he has been gone for almost ten years so lets give it a rest. We need to look towards the future.

Well- I would stop if people on this board would quit ripping on him! It goes both ways.

Many of them had Conference tie-ins back then too.

15 Bowl Games in 1980

18 Bowl Games in 1985

18 Bowl Games in 1995

25 Bowl Games in 2000

28 Bowl Games in 2005

41 Bowl Games in 2015

Need I remind you that the 2003 squad you claim got screwed went to Mordor in the season finale with a NYD bowl at stake, and got blasted by Iowa 40-22 in a game not nearly as close as the final score indicated.

Need I remind you that the 2003 squad you claim got screwed went to Mordor in the season finale with a NYD bowl at stake, and got blasted by Iowa 40-22 in a game not nearly as close as the final score indicated.

They were still 9-3 and defeated a highly ranked Purdue team.

Why would any solid coach leave Madison where UW football is king and come to Minneapolis and play sixth fiddle behind Vikings, Twins, Wolves, Wild, and Gopher Hockey?

Great logic! Why doesn't every team that's not in the top 25 just do this? Then they would all be in the top 25, right? It's just that simple!

He also made me feel like we could lose to anyone.

One of the ironies here is that when we hired Kill, Maturi also interviewed Chryst. Now I don't know if Chryst was ready at that point or what level of coach he will eventually be, but Maturi was hounded on this board as being Badger Joel blah blah blah and derided for even bringing Chryst in. Maturi had his issues, but the guy couldn't win for losing on this board.

As long as we're throwing out crackpot scenarios: I don't think Barry and Bielema left on good terms. You pay Bielema more money and sell him on sticking it to Barry every year.

In the end he still went 32-48 in the Big Ten. Even if you take out the first two seasons he went 29-35. 3 times out of 10 with 8+ wins. People are saying we should fire Claeys even if we win 8 games this season.

People aren't really ripping him, just stating the facts. He did a good job at times, but we should hope for better than that.

How did BrewCrew+Kill+Claeys do against Wisconsin? I'll take Glen and his win over every team in the Big Ten any day over what we've had since.

That said, I'd prefer better. There is a reason Glen was eventually fired. We dared to want more, but ended up with less.

How did BrewCrew+Kill+Claeys do against Wisconsin? I'll take Glen and his win over every team in the Big Ten any day over what we've had since.

That said, I'd prefer better. There is a reason Glen was eventually fired. We dared to want more, but ended up with less.

Gotta keep trying.

All of that is due to Barry Alvarez, who won 1 game his first year and went to the Rose Bowl in his 4th year, with only one loss (to us). About the time he was hired by Wisconsin, we hired Jim Wacker.

Mase also developed our first All-American player in 26 years + seven more over his tenure. Kill/Claeys has one.

Glen Mason Model - Schedule cupcake non-cons assuring an easy 4-0 start, do enough to win 2 or 3 BT games and get invited to low level bowl games occasionally winning one from time to time.

Bielema lost by 53 today.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk.

Why don't we model our program after Alabama and win national titles. wisconsin settles for mediocrity compared to what we should model our program after.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom