Pride on Ice Preview: Gophers, St. Cloud State Set for Home-and-Home Series

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Pride on Ice Preview: Gophers, St. Cloud State Set for Home-and-Home Series
By Grant Erickson and Travis Erickson

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/711755?referrer_id=331171

No. 14 St. Cloud State (0-2-0 overall, 0-0-0 NCHC) vs. No. 7 Minnesota (2-0-0 overall, 0-0-0 Big Ten)

Date: Friday, Oct. 21, 2016
Puck Drop: 8:00 p.m. CT
TV: FOX Sports PLUS
Stream: BTN2Go, FOX Sports Go
Radio: 1500 ESPN, Gopher Radio Network

Date: Saturday, Oct. 22, 2016
Puck Drop: 7:00 p.m. CT
TV: FOX Sports PLUS
Stream: FOX Sports Go
Radio: 1500 ESPN, Gopher Radio Network

INSIDE THE MATCHUP
The series between the Gophers and Huskies has been very close in recent years. SCSU swept Minnesota last year, but the Maroon and Gold hold a slim 6-4-0 advantage in the last 10.

Don Lucia is facing off against his former assistant Bob Motzko. Lucia has a slight edge, going 15-12-3 in the meetings versus Motzko’s Huskies.

In the all-time series, the Gophers hold a commanding 55-31-12 advantage. That means Saturday’s contest in St. Cloud will be the 100th meeting between the rivals.

SCSU had eight first-year players make their debut against Mankato last weekend. That’s an advantage for Minnesota who’s bringing back the majority of last year’s lineup.

There’s familiarity between the two in-state rivals, especially between some of the younger players. Three Poehling brothers for SCSU played with Minnesota’s Jack Sadek on Lakeville North’s undefeated 2015 State Championship team.

STORYLINE CENTRAL
If you’re looking for the same St. Cloud team as last year, you might be disappointed. Jess Myers of ESPN 1500 has a look at the early-season struggles of the new-look Husky team.

After getting swept by Mankato, St. Cloud is looking to get back on track, especially against an in-state opponent. Colt Johnson of the MSU Reporter wrote about last week’s disappointing series for the Huskies.

On a talented team, one player who sticks out is 17-year-old Ryan Poehling of St. Cloud. The Lakeville native has two other brothers on the team, and may be the most talented of the trio. Ryan is a potential high NHL draft pick next summer, but as Chris Dilks of SB Nation College Hockey explains, Poehling still has some work to do.

QUOTES
Don Lucia
On St. Cloud State:
“They’ve got some new guys this year but, at the same time, they have a great nucleus returning. Five of their six defensemen are returning. The one area they are the newest is in the net--losing both of their goaltenders. Similar situation we were in a year ago with some of the turnover but I think the one thing that hurt this last weekend was they didn’t play any games before. Mankato had played a couple of games and it does take awhile to get back at that tempo and that pace.”

On the lines:
“I like our lines right now. I really like the way some of our sophomores are playing right now. I think that’s the thing I’m most happy with. You look at guys like [Jack] Ramsey and [Darian] Romanko didn’t make a real strong impact on our team last year but this year their different players. They both scored in the exhibition games but they both looked good up in Alaska.

"They’re really good penalty killers, they understand their role. Obviously Gates getting out of the gate and scoring five goals in three games. I’ve seen a noticeable difference in his game as well. I think we have some more options up front, than what we had a year ago, but it’s still early.”

Top Bottom