Sid Hartman: Gophers' Claeys is on board with NCAA football signing change

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Some of the biggest news for college football this season isn’t on the field. The NCAA Division I Council has proposed a change in the periods when recruits can sign national letters of intent. If the proposal is passed, it could change football recruiting considerably.

Previously, high school players could only sign a letter of intent in February, and junior college players could sign in December. The new rules would allow for a 72-hour signing period in June, and also make it so that high school players could sign during that 72-hour period in December that was previously only for junior college players.

Gophers coach Tracy Claeys described Thursday what the changes would mean to his recruiting.

“I’m all for the change,” Claeys said. “What it does is, it gives you a chance to visit kids. They’ll be able to come up to the Twin Cities and visit in June, and obviously the weather is a lot different in June than it is in January and December. I think that’s a positive effect, and the other thing is, you’re not going to have to deal with kids changing their mind after the season.

“The kids that want to commit and know where they want to go, they can get their paper signed and they don’t have to worry about — once they’ve signed those papers, no other schools can contact them. I think it’s a good thing for the kids that are sure and decided about where they want to go. You don’t have to worry about babysitting them for an extra three months.”

http://www.startribune.com/claeys-is-on-board-with-ncaa-football-signing-change/397852991/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom