Good interview with Pitino by Shama

pregameatblarneys

Reaction score
Q—Part of the disappointment in 2016 were off-court incidents involving players. What was learned in regard to that?

A—They’re young kids. You’ve got to hold them accountable if they make a mistake and you’ve also got to educate them. I believe we did. We even had to sacrifice some losses in doing that (suspended players), and it was difficult but I believe it was the right thing for them. I believe it was the right thing for the program. I think moving forward they learned from it.

We did a lot over the summer. It’s important for people to look at this program in a positive light. Regardless of wins and losses, it means a lot to me that people value the type of character that we have in this program. We really worked hard over this summer to improve that. They did a great job in the classroom. They did a great job in the community. We brought some speakers in here to educate them.

So that’s our job to do that, and to stick by them. To not abandon guys when they make mistakes, and hopefully our program is stronger from it. I think our guys are very, very eager to show people what they’re all about off the court as well as on the court.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/pitino-not-dwelling-on-job-security/

"Johnson hadn't played yet"

Interesting words?

Q—Is it realistic to think one day you can lock down the state regarding all the best high school players in Minnesota?

A—I am encouraged (for 2015-2016) because we got the two best players out of the state in Amir Coffey and Michael Hurt. …Reggie Lynch is (also) a local kid and transferred from Illinois State. He was one of their better players (but)…he wanted to come home and play for the state. It really had nothing to do with me.

I am encouraged by (guard) Jarvis Johnson, even though he hasn’t played yet (because of a medical issue). We recruited one of the best players out of the state (in Johnson, a freshman in 2015-2016).

…I love where recruiting is going. It’s important to recruit the state. It’s also important to recruit the best fit for your team at the time.

Go Gophers!!

"Johnson hadn't played yet"

Interesting words?

Interesting words? Pitino just freaking said he was "encouraged by (guard) Jarvis Johnson, even though he hasn’t played yet (because of a medical issue). We recruited one of the best players out of the state (in Johnson, a freshman in 2015-2016)."

This is a new development, yes? When has Pitino ever talked about Jarvis Johnson like that?

Encouraged

Interesting words? Pitino just freaking said he was "encouraged by (guard) Jarvis Johnson, even though he hasn’t played yet (because of a medical issue). We recruited one of the best players out of the state (in Johnson, a freshman in 2015-2016)."

This is a new development, yes? When has Pitino ever talked about Jarvis Johnson like that?

I read it as encouraged that they were able to recruit him...win the recruiting battle. There could be something to the yet or just a coach choosing his words knowing Johnson wants desperately to play and not dismissing that hope for Johnson. Johnson did play in a league this summer. The liability is probably too complicated for the University to allow it is my guess.

I'm assuming Johnson could go somewhere else to play if he wanted. I wonder if there is still hope he can play for the Gophers?

Top Bottom