Leidner to Start Against Rutgers

I like Leidner very much as a QB and I'm glad he's back but he seem to make very critical mistakes, like throwing a int int the red zone... Did Rhoda do that ???

Nope. But that alone doesn't mean he is better than Leidner.

Nope. But that alone doesn't mean he is better than Leidner.

What I can't figure out is what some people saw in Rhoda last week that makes them upset that Leidner is healthy. I get that there is a lot of hatred for Leidner among some posters but until there is an obvious better option you would think you would want the best QB ON THE ROSTER to play.

What I can't figure out is what some people saw in Rhoda last week that makes them upset that Leidner is healthy. I get that there is a lot of hatred for Leidner among some posters but until there is an obvious better option you would think you would want the best QB ON THE ROSTER to play.

Conspiracy theories are addicting... The coaches are saving out best QB for next season, just you wait!

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anyone who is upset that Leidner is healthy.

Also, thinking someone is not a very good QB in no way translates to "hatred", no matter what you have read on this board over the past few years. And I worry more about the "best QB on the roster" being ready for Illinois, Nebraska, Northwestern and Wisconsin than I do at home vs Rutgers, but that might just be me.

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen anyone who is upset that Leidner is healthy.

Also, thinking someone is not a very good QB in no way translates to "hatred", no matter what you have read on this board over the past few years. And I worry more about the "best QB on the roster" being ready for Illinois, Nebraska, Northwestern and Wisconsin than I do at home vs Rutgers, but that might just be me.

My comments are more about fans on social media. It can be really bad.

In this thread there were multiple 1st round pick shots taken about Leidner being back. It is a vocal minority but there are a handful of posters that take every chance they can to bash Mitch. I think most reasonable fans understand that in spite of some of his shortcomings in the talent department he is still the best we have right now.

In this thread there were multiple 1st round pick shots taken about Leidner being back. It is a vocal minority but there are a handful of posters that take every chance they can to bash Mitch. I think most reasonable fans understand that in spite of some of his shortcomings in the talent department he is still the best we have right now.

I don't think the 1st round pick shots are fair, it's not Mitch's fault that label was unfairly put on him. It's also not his fault this coaching staff (including Kill years) has done such a terrible job recruiting the QB position.

That being said, it seems any sort of criticism towards the QB that is mentioned on this site is instantly met with "hater" "bandwagon", etc. I want the Gophers to win every game as much as anyone who posts on here. I also don't think Mitch Leidner is a good QB. Those two statements aren't mutually exclusive.

The QB is off limits to the defense in taking hits in practice. How do we know one solid hit might put him back on the sidelines? I think Rhoda should start and give Mitch another week.

The QB is off limits to the defense in taking hits in practice. How do we know one solid hit might put him back on the sidelines? I think Rhoda should start and give Mitch another week.

What if Illinois plans on hitting him?

I don't think the 1st round pick shots are fair, it's not Mitch's fault that label was unfairly put on him. It's also not his fault this coaching staff (including Kill years) has done such a terrible job recruiting the QB position.

That being said, it seems any sort of criticism towards the QB that is mentioned on this site is instantly met with "hater" "bandwagon", etc. I want the Gophers to win every game as much as anyone who posts on here. I also don't think Mitch Leidner is a good QB. Those two statements aren't mutually exclusive.

I agree with everything you wrote there. My point all along has been all the anger at Leidner is directed at the wrong place. He is what he is and those that expect him to be more are just kidding themselves. The fault in all this is on the coaching staff, not Mitch. They are the ones responsible for finding/developing a better option and year after year they fail to get that done.

I just wish those fans that insist on taking personal shots at Mitch would re-consider and direct their anger at the people whose job it is to correct the problem. I have accepted the Mitch is what he is but it still feels like there are some that think he will develop into more. And those fans are the ones that latched onto that stupid first round draft pick projection and treated like it is what we should expect to see on the field from a talent standpoint.

No sense in asking how I know, but feel free to argue the legitimacy of my source amongst yourselves.

Get your money in on the Gophers before Vegas gets wind that the 1st rounder is back!

Regardless of what the medical staff believes, they should give him another week to rest. I'm no doctor, and I'm confident y'all will point that out in your usual way, but why not give his brain another week off since it's Rutgers? It can't hurt even if it's medically "unnecessary". Is it because it's his final homecoming? Rhoda can hand the ball off just fine. Are they willing to let Leidner run?

Regardless of what the medical staff believes, they should give him another week to rest. I'm no doctor, and I'm confident y'all will point that out in your usual way, but why not give his brain another week off since it's Rutgers? It can't hurt even if it's medically "unnecessary". Is it because it's his final homecoming? Rhoda can hand the ball off just fine. Are they willing to let Leidner run?

If he starts tomorrow, it means he cleared the concussion protocol. There's no next bar to clear. It's not "he's 90 percent good" or "he'll tough it out". Once you are clear, you are clear.

Brain injury research when it comes to sports is still very much a field that is a moving target.

I don't think we're down to the point where there is "zero argument" about anything on that topic..

Yes, we won't know for a long time whether the changes we have made have made an impact in reducing the long term consequences of concussions. It could be that the protocol works really well, or that we need to make changes. Like I said, if you want to argue about the protocol, fine. But that's not what he was doing. He was arguing that it's a careless process, run a few drills, feel good? Great, good to go. He cleared the protocol. It's up to him and if he wants to play. If the doctors who designed the protocol thought that "clearing all the levels plus 1 week of rest" was better than "clearing all the levels" I'm pretty sure they would do that. There is a great deal of national scrutiny on this. They are being extra careful. Anyone who has dealt with high school football knows, it's almost ridiculous how far we've swung the other way.

mitch is a ball player, it's hard to keep ball players on the sidelines.

Seems like a dumb move by the staff. Play him only if we are losing and make sure he is OK for the meaningful games. Get Rhoda some more experience for next year.
Luck O da Gopher...........he takes a shot and is lost for the season with a second concussion.
Rhoda will not be our starter next year. If you coach with this losing mentality that you can afford to rest guys that's when you get beat and that's when you get fired, play to win and play your best players

On a serious note, isn't this where a certain poster links us to articles claiming there is no scientific proof that concussions cause long term problems anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once Mitch is gone I really look forward to this not being a discussion anymore.

On the other hand I don't look forward to the next QB discussion...

I think Mitch is an average QB but also believe the coaches are playing him because he gives us the best chance of winning. It would be great if we had more consistent and superior O line play. WI kicks our butt every year with an average QB and they do it by having superior O and D lineman.

Glad to have Mitch back. They are going to need him to help the Gophers win tomorrow. Not going to be the pushover easy walk through game a lot of people are expecting. Rutgers will be up for the game because they think they can beat the Gophers. Because of the recent restraining order stuff, I expect the Gophers to be a little flat and down tomorrow. Hopefully they can show and compete hard and win the game tomorrow. Glad Leidner is back and cleared to play. The 19 point spread is way to high, because of the Michigan and Ohio State beatdowns. I expect Rutgers to play the Gophers as tough as they did Iowa.

Expect the meltdown when Rhoda is named 2017 starting QB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Iowa14. Rutgers 7. That's I need to know. Hopefully the Gophers will set the tone of the game on the opening kick-off. Will we be flat? Will Clays show some emotion and leadership on the sideline? Or will we continue to see the same stoic, oh-hum head coach?

In this age of litigation, a D1 FB team would never risk playing a vulnerable player. (Especially after the Michigan debacle.) That would be a multi-million dollar lawsuit waiting to happen. If Leidner plays, it will be because the medical staff has signed off and given the coaches assurances that Leidner is safe to play.

This isn't like the old days where an injured player could talk his way back onto the field.

IMHO, the people who are arguing a medical justification for holding Leidner out of the game just don't want Leidner to play, or they're holding out hope that Rhoda suddenly turns into this brilliant QB, and the coaches decide to bench Leidner for the rest of the season. Not going to happen. Yes, the coaches have said they want to redshirt Green and Croft - but I am 99.9% sure that, if Claeys and the other coaches truly believed that Croft or Green gave the Gophers the best chance of winning, they would be in the game. Winning trumps all other considerations - except for a player's health.

I think Mitch is an average QB but also believe the coaches are playing him because he gives us the best chance of winning. It would be great if we had more consistent and superior O line play. WI kicks our butt every year with an average QB and they do it by having superior O and D lineman.

I think you are on to something, Gringa.

Top Bottom